Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid Lights! :ffs:

Yaris_Tsport

Hello all right am sort of thinking about going down the road of hid lights but i do not have a clue where to buy them from as i have found ones £100ish to £350ish lol. i know there a differences like hi-low beam but what else makes the difference in price???are there certain makes to look out for???or can people reccommend somewhere

Hello all right am sort of thinking about going down the road of hid lights but i do not have a clue where to buy them from as i have found ones £100ish to £350ish lol. i know there a differences like hi-low beam but what else makes the difference in price???are there certain makes to look out for???or can people reccommend somewhere

Hey mate I have thought about getting HID lights for my TS as well but was also wondering the same questions.

I have looked on eBay and there are so many different versions and companies selling HID conversion kits.

Through research on the internet I came across a company that made HID conversion kits called Xetronic. Their kit is made in Japan and is waterproof. Hence it is more expensive than other kits.

I looked on eBay but couldn't find anyone shipping to the UK. Plus also your never sure if your getting the real thing sometimes on eBay as there are a lot of people who sell fakes.

Found this website which sells them and offer worlwide shipping.

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=13

Your looking for H4 bulb with Hi & Low beam (Bi Xenon).

As for what power many people recommend 6000K but 8000K looks slightly better with a more blue tint. Personal choice at the end of the day. However anything above 8000K is illegal :thumbsup:

You could also try this place.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=620

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

All aftermarket HID kits are illegal, whatever the bulb temperature.

They're not illegal to sell, but you're breaking the law if you fit one.

You'll be very unlucky to be stopped because there are so few police on the road these days and they've many other targets to meet, but you are technically breaking the law to fit them.

There's a report in AutoExpress this week showing the effect of fitting HID bulbs to headlights that weren't designed for them....

And before you think I'm a goody goody, you're wrong. I actually spent £200 of my own money buying a HID kit and discovered for myself that whilst the bulbs are very bright, the beam pattern is never as good as with a proper bulb designed for the headlight in the first place.

You may or may not pass an MOT test and you're breaking the law by fitting them because of all the dazzle you cause from unavoidable "scatter" to other motorists, but its your money and your gamble...

I personally wouldn't buy another set and I've removed the set I had....

Use a good quality xenon filled bulb to get you as much light as you can with normal bulbs. The brightest are Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silverstars. They were judged the best in a recent AutoExpress test.

If you can find them, Philips have just launched a range called X-Treme which are nearly twice as bright as normal bulbs, so they're almost HID brightness and for only £30 a pair, but they're so good that all retailers I can find on the web are out of stock....

No reputable manufacturer in the world makes HID bulbs in ordinary H4 or H7 fittings. They're all produced by taking a proper HID bulb and by somebody fitting a different base. The quality is very variable. If you see someone selling a "Hella" or "Osram" or any other branded kit, its just the ballasts that are branded. The bulbs are always made by an unknown third party by putting a new plastic base on a proper HID bulb capsule - and the results are very variable.

You might get a good one, you might not....

Yes technically they are illegal, but theres loads of things people fit to their cars that are illegal but people still do it.

If the kit is fitted properly and aligned correctly then it will pass and MOT and not blind on coming cars.

Its so stupid, HID kits are desinged so that you can see more clearly at night but because its an aftermarket kit without washer jets or self leveling there illegal.

I have read on forums before that have been pulled over for various reasons whether it be a rountine check and they haven't said anything about the HID kit fitted to the car. Half the time the police don't even know the law.

Its just like the bull :censor: with tinted windows all over again.

Any car light can dazzle at some point an oncoming driver on the road ie a hill even if they are self leveling which were factory installed.

Just buy the kit, fit it and then to make sure take it to a local MOT station who can check the bulbs are aligned properly :thumbsup:

IN Banzai March 2006 they had an article about HID conversions. i kept the issue cus i knew it would be good for refrence.

i Quote 'there are certain rules that apply to cars fitted with xenons, namley that they must have headlamp washers and self leveling suspension or headlamp housings.'

the car they were using the HID kit on had neither

'The Aristo has neither, but according to CA Automotive CA HID kit and legality page , these regulations only apply to brand new cars with factory fitted Xenons and not cars with aftermarket HID kits.'

wow quick replys there people thanks for the advice. basically i was on a dual carridge way and a car was next to me and i noticed how good his lights were compared to mine. his were quite purple. so i thought i would look in to it.

at the moment i have the gt150 bulbs by phillips in my yaris which seemed ok until now lol!!!so gonna upgrade.

i know my local car shop sells bulbs which are 100watt which i guess are illegal but if people use these hid lights i guess i can use the 100watt bulbs

Oh and what type of bulb are my front fogs?????h1????or are they a 9006 or something. i have a blown one

i know my local car shop sells bulbs which are 100watt which i guess are illegal but if people use these hid lights i guess i can use the 100watt bulbs

DONT BUY HIGHER WATTAGE bulbs THAN WHAT THE MANUAL STIPULATES

Too high of wattage ie 100Watt are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY and will melt your headlight plastic :yes:

The Sera has plastic headlight 'glass' and these have been known to melt with uprated lighting kits.

If you do go the HID route then there are plenty of people on here who have done the same to their Yarises. Find out what power, make etc they have and if any problems ( MOT etc ) have arisen.

well i fitted HIDs to my headlights about 3 weeks ago. they are alot brighter that standard headlights, and they dont seem to have melted my head lights. got my MOT comin up in a few weeks so i will let u know how i get on with that. but the standard bulbs can be put back in, in a matter of minutes

Sorry Bernie1000, but I have to disagree.

Yes, you will always be dazzled by beams by cars coming over hills & bridges, but that's not the issue here.

Firstly, all "halogen replacement" HID bulbs are made by unknown third-parties who take a HID capsule and graft on a new plastic base with an "H4" or "H7" fitting.

The issue is that the tolerences used to fit the base aren't as good as they might be.

Its a gamble - you might get a bulb with the base in the right place, you might get one with it 1mm out of position.

If you get one that's out of position, you'll never be able to get the beam pattern quite as good as it should be and you'll generate scatter that will dazzle however you align the headlight.

Secondly, some cars are fitted with "bright" headlight mouldings in front of the reflector (like my old Alfa 156). The Yaris and my Audi A3 don't, so that's not as bad - but some models do and the headlight beam catches on these bright mouldings too and scatters all over the place too. That doesn't matter with a halogen bulb because the scattered light from the halogen bulb isn't bright enough to cause dazzle, but if you fit a bulb that's three times as bright, the same scatter becomes dazzling.

I've experienced both of these situations and it doesn't matter how you align your headlights, its this uncontrollable scatter that causes the issue.

I thought I had a good beam pattern on my Alfa 156 with my HID bulbs, but the scattered light that went up into the air ABOVE the beam cut-off caused so much reflection that I actually dazzled myself with the reflection from overhead motorway bridge signs.

I'm not arguing against the technical illegality of the kits - because that doesn't bother me - and if you do get a couple of bulbs (by luck) with well fitted bases, then the beam pattern from your reflector headlights might be good enough to pass an MOT - but I was just sharing my own personal experience that none of these bulbs are made by "real" branded bulb manufacturers, so you're taking a quality gamble - and there are issues with uncontrolled scatter using them in reflector headlights that just weren't designed for HID bulb use.

I'm not an evangalist, its just that I spent £200 of my own money taking the gamble myself, experienced the results over 12 months in several cars, came to the conclusion that I wished I hadn't bothered and wanted to share that view for the benefit of others who were thinking of taking the plunge themselves.

If I was doing it all over again, I'd just spend £30 on a set of Philips X-Treme 80% brighter halogen bulbs that put out 2/3 the light of a HID bulb anyway and treat myself with the other money I'd saved....

If you've enough spare cash that £200 means nothing to you, give it a go and see. Take the gamble. Many people are happy enough with the results, but I was just trying to present a balanced picture to help people make an informed decision.

i was gonna get thm bulbs but every website is out of stock lol brought some bulbs which are 130watt!!!!but now i have read this i am worried they will melt my lense!!!!

Think i will keep an eye on those philps x-treme lights :thumbsup:

Fair enuf mate everyone has their opions.

Its just that the stock Yaris bulbs suck. I uprated the bulbs with Philips ones and while there better theres just no comparison to HID and as soon as I have the money Im going to get a conversion kit.

However when I do buy a kit I am going to get the best I can afford, and I reckon these are the best.

Xetronic Digital

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=1341

Its a chance you take but personally I think its worth it. Each to their own though :thumbsup:

i was gonna get thm bulbs but every website is out of stock lol brought some bulbs which are 130watt!!!!but now i have read this i am worried they will melt my lense!!!!

Think i will keep an eye on those philps x-treme lights :thumbsup:

Thats crazy 130watt. No doubt illegal and I think thats over twice the recommend wattage.

130 watt is insane!!!

50% brigher phillips ones are ok but as you say nothing compared to HID's in dads S2k!

I have the Osram silverstars things in my Yaris. Whilst they are better than standard they are no where near as good as HIDs. www.hids4u.co.uk get the thumbs up from a number of sites, they are helpful and know their stuff, even if not the cheapest :)

Fair enuf mate everyone has their opions.

Its just that the stock Yaris bulbs suck.

You wanna try a Sera at night for a few days.........You'll take back everything you've said about Yaris lights :P

130 watt is insane!!!

50% brigher phillips ones are ok but as you say nothing compared to HID's in dads S2k!

i am now thinking the same they do a 160watt ones too!!!!!!!!!!lol oh well give them a blast see how hot they get.

lol if they do melt take a pic that will be cool :P

Send us pic of shocking sera lights aswell!!

if it happens i will :crybaby:

Ebay there like £50 for 2 but dont no condition suppose

Thats not bad but from Toyota if you want them prepare to bend over :lol:

And still £50 down the drain if they do melt

am gonna try and send them back got them from autobulbs hopefully they accept returms lol.

it says on them to check wiring to make sure they are minimum of 25 amps for 130watt at 12v???what does that mean