Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Screeching Noise When The Wheels Are Fully Turned...

JeeZzz

Hello everyone, I own a '99 G6, here's the problem: when I turn my wheels fully to the left or right (usually when I get in or out a parking) there is a loud screeching noise, at first I thought it was a belt problem or something like that but the last time I parked my car on a slope: I was in first gear, I pushed the clutch pedal fully (no brake) with the wheels fully turned to the left and the car didn't move! I guess something is touching and blocking at least one wheel, any idea ?

Is it after market wheels you've got on it? Are they a bit too wide, possibly rubbing on the inside when full lock is on.

check the brake pads to make sure they aren't excessively worn (ie down to the metal screech blocks)

other thing is to check you don't have a stone caught between the dust shield of the brake caliper and the discs.

thanks for your input guys! The wheels are stock, nothing fancy and the breaks have been checked 2 months ago, someone told me that it could be either:

1. The pump from the assisted steering is under too much stress when the wheels are fully turned (does that mean it's gonna break?)

2. The driving belt is sliding on the assisted steering pump... (now what does that mean????)

That guy told me that it was normal that the car didn't move on a slope when the wheels are fully turned...

the driving belt sliding on the assisted steering pump is just the belt that drives the power steering pump. This may be a bit loose, and when on full lock, the extra resistance may make the belt squeal. Easy job to tighten it up though.

Open the bonnet and find the power steering fluid reservoir....then follow the pipes to a belt driven pulley. That's the kiddo !

thanks for your input guys! The wheels are stock, nothing fancy and the breaks have been checked 2 months ago, someone told me that it could be either:

1. The pump from the assisted steering is under too much stress when the wheels are fully turned (does that mean it's gonna break?)

2. The driving belt is sliding on the assisted steering pump... (now what does that mean????)

That guy told me that it was normal that the car didn't move on a slope when the wheels are fully turned...

you require a new belt on power steering if the belt is tight enough its probably just got a bit polished so its slips when under full load a new belt should cure it :thumbsup:

you require a new belt on power steering if the belt is tight enough its probably just got a bit polished so its slips when under full load a new belt should cure it :thumbsup:

didto you need need a new belt

Know one can if you can do it apart from you. :D But as long as you aren't scared of a spanner and you have a Haynes manual it should be no probs.

Belt should be around £10-20

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links