Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vista.......

Jamesb4uk

Well i took the plung & installed Vista Business on my PC here at work,

It took a while but its now running quite happily with Office Pro 2007.

Office is a bit slow but the PC is the bottle neck being an HP dx2000 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with a gig of RAM.

Must say i'm starting to really like Vista - it'll take me a while to work out where everything is but i just sync'd my Dell X50v PDA with no trouble what so ever.

Office is the same - looks good but need to start finding out where everything has gone.

J

Good for you. I've heard mixed reports about it. I'm looking to upgrade my home PC, but everywhere seems only to be offering Vista.Me being the Luddite that I am don't really want to give up XP. It's all I know. :crybaby:

I know the feeling mate - my home pc's are staying on XP too - only reason i put it on this is our clients are starting to get Vista so though as i do IT support i might want to take a look at it :lol:

Vista can be installed on nearly anything - it selects components based on machine spec. if you do go Vista just make sure you have a powerfull GFX card :thumbsup:

J

James try slinging a usb memory stick in it and enabling ready boost. You won't get a major speed boost, but it may improve slightly.

Me being the Luddite that I am don't really want to give up XP. It's all I know. :crybaby:

its not really that much different to a user, few new features. the main changes and benefits are behind the scenes. there are websites devoted to vista as well so you can learn once its been setup

Getting it on Thursday along with a dual core 64 bit processor and NVIDIA graphics card with a gig of DDR2 RAM :thumbsup:

Well my install lasted all of 2 days :lol:

had to take it off due to lack of VPN support (IPsec & Watchguard)

ohh well.

J

there was a thing on BBC news24 about Vista not being too compatible with iPods at the moment. Presumably this will be put right sharpish otherwise it's a major negative selling point .

I've been looking at getting a completely new system. Future proof as I can get it. But I think I'll hang on a bit longer. Been doing a lot of reading up on Vista too.

TVOR Talking of Dual core things. Apparently games developers are thinking along the lines of making their games double threaded, so a dual core CPU is a must really.

Hopefully they'll have a few of the bugs ironed out with Vista. :unsure:

there was a thing on BBC news24 about Vista not being too compatible with iPods at the moment. Presumably this will be put right sharpish otherwise it's a major negative selling point .

HAHAHA Apple's response to this news was to tell iPod owners not to bother with Vista ;)

I've been looking at getting a completely new system. Future proof as I can get it. But I think I'll hang on a bit longer. Been doing a lot of reading up on Vista too.

TVOR Talking of Dual core things. Apparently games developers are thinking along the lines of making their games double threaded, so a dual core CPU is a must really.

Yeap, applications are becoming more multi-core aware. We are still a fair ways from getting a huge performance boost from the quad-core processors as the clock speed is slightly slower, than the current batch of dual core chips. I would most certainly wait until April, as intel are promising a few new chips and also a price cut across the core2 range. These are easily the CPU's to have at the moment. The 4x4 architecture from AMD is looking as the next market leader, so you could hang on for that. The industries main concern is vista at the moment and also DX10 compatibility. Late april you should be able to get a core2 duo system with DX10 grfx's

Yeap, applications are becoming more multi-core aware. We are still a fair ways from getting a huge performance boost from the quad-core processors as the clock speed is slightly slower, than the current batch of dual core chips. I would most certainly wait until April, as intel are promising a few new chips and also a price cut across the core2 range. These are easily the CPU's to have at the moment. The 4x4 architecture from AMD is looking as the next market leader, so you could hang on for that. The industries main concern is vista at the moment and also DX10 compatibility. Late april you should be able to get a core2 duo system with DX10 grfx's

I don't mind waiting if it saves a few bob and/or puts off the inevitable obsolescence date a bit longer. :D

Well, my Vista experience lasted 2 days :ffs:

My advice to people at the moment is don’t bother with Vista just yet.

First problem was my modem, would you believe there are no Vista drivers for it till March along with my printer scanner and other programmes like Partition Magic. So I couldn’t get on line to find the solutions to the problems. My modem just made the PC crash with the Blue Screen of Death

AVG and Zone Alarm aren’t compatible either. I’m sure these problems will be sorted in the near future like XP was but for now, stay away!

:thumbsup:

Well, my Vista experience lasted 2 days :ffs:

My advice to people at the moment is don’t bother with Vista just yet.

I’m sure these problems will be sorted in the near future like XP was but for now, stay away!

:thumbsup:

Sound advice imo. I don't touch Microsoft without a Service Pack release and I don't go near Linux releases (not that I have done recently) on a x.0 release either. New Operating Systems are inherently unstable due to the large amount of new code. Vista has been so problematic that a couple of days (literally) after the great unwashed public were allowed to buy Vista, Miscrosoft pulled massive amoutns of resources off oter projects to focus on fast tracking Vista SP1. With that news in mind, I'm even tempted to wait for SP2 as that will probably be mid next year some time.

Yes, the rush... delay release... rush again approach with Vista was just one of the things that put me off.

Think I'll wait until the new batch of Beta testers (the one's using it now!) have aired their grievances to Microsoft.

Bit expensive too, innit?

£210 form PC World (not the upgrade, the whole thing)

Just seen it for £75 from my ISP (special offer). OEM Home Premium, I may invest for the future.

Vista will be great in about 6 months when the bugs and drivers are sorted :thumbsup: 'tis the way forward

very sensible TVOR - give it 6-8 months for everyone to work out the bugs & the service packs to roll out.

Most manufacturers will have Vista drivers that may actually work by then :unsure:

J

Good for you. I've heard mixed reports about it. I'm looking to upgrade my home PC, but everywhere seems only to be offering Vista.Me being the Luddite that I am don't really want to give up XP. It's all I know. :crybaby:

Check the link below... and then click the customise button and select the XP operating software as desired. They then give you the option of upgrading to Vista for just £20 at a later date. :thumbsup:

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...&KEY=158102

The exact same thing happened when XP came out; I was one of them not wanting to move from Windows 98SE.

Looking back now and XP is like part of the family :D I think the best option for me at the moment is to have both XP and Vista on the same PC as duel operating systems.

Just need to partition and format a section of the hard drive :thumbsup:

Have to agree with both Dak and TVOR.

Im always reluctant to get the latest software installed... I like the motto..

If it aint broke...

Tried vista a few months ago, its a blatant rip-off of mac osx - plus you have to confirm pretty much everything you want to do for security purposes - to be honest I think its p** poor

So I ditched my pc for a mac and its brilliant.