Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Driven An Auris Mmt ?

mr automatic

Hi I would be interested in the comments from anyone who has drove the new Auris with the multi mode gearbox with the paddle shift or knows anything about it.

There is one sitting in my local dealership but they are not allowed to drive it on the road or take it out of the showroom as it is on "loan" as a show car from the manufacturer. :crybaby:

The main reason I am asking is because the Yaris mmt is good but not perfect and I am hoping that this is a new improved version.

Thanks

Hi I would be interested in the comments from anyone who has drove the new Auris with the multi mode gearbox with the paddle shift or knows anything about it.

There is one sitting in my local dealership but they are not allowed to drive it on the road or take it out of the showroom as it is on "loan" as a show car from the manufacturer. :crybaby:

The main reason I am asking is because the Yaris mmt is good but not perfect and I am hoping that this is a new improved version.

Thanks

Hi Mr. Automatic.

I've not driven the MMT version as yet, but if you can wait one more week I will have my car which is MMT! I know my drive will be a tad bumpy to start, and I'll be reaching for the gearstick when I won't need to, but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Kian

Thanks

Hi Mr. Automatic.

I've not driven the MMT version as yet, but if you can wait one more week I will have my car which is MMT! I know my drive will be a tad bumpy to start, and I'll be reaching for the gearstick when I won't need to, but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Kian

Hi Kian,

I look forward to your test report. I would like to know how smoothe it is changing gear in auto mode and how responsive it is when changing gear with the paddles behind the steering wheel like formula one!!!!

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Mr. Automatic.

Kian

Hi Kian,

I look forward to your test report. I would like to know how smoothe it is changing gear in auto mode and how responsive it is when changing gear with the paddles behind the steering wheel like formula one!!!!

Thanks

My report will appear here first, as mentioned earlier, the weekend I get it, I will be driving a feww hundred miles along all terrains so will give the details ASAP.

Kian

I would love a run in a formula one car :thumbsup: but that is not why I am interested in the paddle shift. I have only even been able to drive automatics due to my disability and now Toyota have gone down the semi auto route.

I have test driven a Yaris mmt but in auto mode I found it jerky. It was better in manual mode but I found it strange taking my hand off the steering wheel to change gear. So I thought it would be better with the paddle shift because your hands stay on the wheel.

But you never know, if I am good at it, look out Ralph........

An automated manual like the MMT will never be as smooth as a proper auto or CVT as the car still has a clutch and a manual gearbox but the whole lot is electronically operated. It depends on what your used to, i'm used to normal full auto's so I find them rather dissapointing but if you've only ever had automated manuals like Vauxhall's Easytronic or other Toyota MMT's then I would expect it to be a bit better in the Auris as it should be a newer generation one.

Hi Mr automatic, I drove the mmt Auris last week and found it pretty good. The fully auto mode isnt bad but there is a pause between shifts, i found if you lifted off just before it changes its really smooth.

If you dont lift off, it pauses then changes gear, but it isnt jerky. The E setting is fine for drifting around town, and they've engineered somr 'creep' into it. The Es(sport) setting is a bit pointless and it just holds the revs higher before changing gear.

The M(manual) mode is great and you can really fly, the gear changes are good and can have a blast on b roads.

Hope this is helpful, if want more info write back

:thumbsup:

Thanks shuffly for the report. I am glad that they have kept a "creep" function as this is handy when pulling away at junctions etc. Some other semis you have to find the "bite" of the clutch usually about 3000rpm before the clutch dips and you move off. This is extremely awkward.

I thought if you lifted off the throttle a bit it would be smoother changing and I was right. It would just take you to learn a differnt driving style.

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am thinking of going with MMT and since I cannot find any info here in Greece I am a bit sceptic about how MMT behaves.

I asked and they don’t have nor will have any MMT version for test drive.

... The fully auto mode isn’t bad but there is a pause between shifts, …

Pauses for how long? For 1 or 2 secs ? And during this pause the engine revs up or you don’t feel any acceleration?

In Auto Mode what happens if you try to accelerate hard from a complete stop? It will still make the gear changes at low revs until it reaches 5th gear or it will keep a smaller gear until you stop pressing the throttle pedal?

Let’s say you are going 60mph and you want to accelerate as fast as you can. When you press the throttle pedal it will change to a lower gear?

In Manual Mode do you feel these pauses whenever you change a gear?

... The E setting is fine for drifting around town, and they've engineered some 'creep' into it. …

What is ‘creep’? It is the same as pressing halfway the clutch (in a manual gearbox) while pressing the throttle pedal?

Thanks for your valuable info.

… and sorry for poor English.

Hi GTatsis,

this is my experiences of the MMT gearbox in the Yaris which is nearly the same as the Auris. In Auto mode there is a pause between gearchanges of about 1sec. The engine revs didn't seem to rise or drop just that there was a drop in power then accelerating again.

In Auto mode and accelerating hard the car will hold onto the gears longer and therefore rev the engine more. If you accelerate less it will go up the gears quicker and may go from 3rd to 5th missing 4th all together.

If you are doing 60mph you will be in 5th gear. If you acelerate hard the car will go to 4th gear. This also happens if you are going up a hill etc. If it doesn't do this in Auto mode move the gear stick to manual and do it youself. HOWEVER if the thinks that you are wrong it will NOT let you do it to prevent damage to engine or gearbox.

In Manual mode the pauses in gear change is the same but you can make them smoother if you lift off the acellerator then change gear.

Creep is when you put the car in "E" or "M" and without touching the accelerator the car gently starts to move forward. It is useful in slow moving traffic as the car will move slowing without you doing anything except braking when you want to stop !!!!!!!!!

I hope this answers your questions

Thanks Mr Automatic!!!

That is exactly the info I am looking for.

Maybe a few more questions...

What about the service of the MMT gearbox? Do you know if the service book says anything about when you should change/service the clutch disc (sorry but I don't know the exact word for this) ?

What happens when you want to move really slowly backwards (or forward) on a downhill (or uphill). For example when you are trying to park having put the reverse and you are on a steep downhill. This is quite typical in Athens (lot's of hills inside the city)

With a manual gearbox you can do this kind of manoeuvres very efficiently (without destroying your clutch disc). I can understand that this is normal for a typical automatic gearbox. But what about these multimode gearboxes? Can you get the precision you want without wearing out your clutch disc ?

Thanks again !

REF: AURIS WITH MULTIMODE TRANSMISSION

I WONDER IF ANYONE COULD LET ME HAVE CLARIFICATION ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

ON MY OLD CAMRY WITH CONVENTIONAL AUTOMATIC I WAS ABLE TO STOP ON A HILL AND WHEN THE ROAD WAS CLEAR ALL I HAD TO DO WAS TO MOVE MY FOOT TO THE ACCELERATOR ABD THE CAR WOULD SLOWLY TAKE OFF WITHOUT ROLLING BACK (NOT EVEN AN INCH)

WITH THE MMT IN THE E POSITION WILL THE CAR BEHAVE THE SAME WAY OR DO I HAVE TO USE THE HANDBRAKE ON A HILL START

INPUT FROM AURIS (MMT) OWNERS WHO WANT TO USE THE AUTO FEATURE TO ITS FULL CAPABILITIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED

BEST REGARDS HAL

I don't know about servicing the gearbox/clutch. What I do know is you HAVE to use the handbrake if the car is in any type of slope at all. You have to give enough acceleration for the car to move forward before you release the handbrake or you will roll back very quick as the car feels like it is in neutral!! This is something you must be aware of if you have only every driven full automatics so you have to adjust your driving style.

However if the road is level, when you select E and take you foot off the brake the car does move slowly forward.

I hope this helps

I don't know about servicing the gearbox/clutch. What I do know is you HAVE to use the handbrake if the car is in any type of slope at all. You have to give enough acceleration for the car to move forward before you release the handbrake or you will roll back very quick as the car feels like it is in neutral!! This is something you must be aware of if you have only every driven full automatics so you have to adjust your driving style.

However if the road is level, when you select E and take you foot off the brake the car does move slowly forward.

I hope this helps

Hi Mr Automatic

Thank you for your input. It is verey much appreciated. Best regards Hal

• 2 months later...

Thanks

Hi Mr. automatic, im new to these forums, i am a sales consultant in Toyota Cyprus and i have to say that the mmt box on the auris is more refined than the yaris.. i also have to comment that the mmt on a more powerful engine is more smoother on gearchanges but u still have to play with the gas pedal in order to get full smoothness...best choice is to have it on Es... as for the paddleshift... we took it on mountain roads when we we're given training and i it is great! quik changes and very easy to use... one dissapointment on it is that they turn with the steering wheel which makes it a bit tricky when ur trying to change gears whilst turning the wheel... at least they had it on the gear shift leaver too :) good luck with your choice

hope i have helped!

Thanks

Hi Mr. automatic, im new to these forums, i am a sales consultant in Toyota Cyprus and i have to say that the mmt box on the auris is more refined than the yaris.. i also have to comment that the mmt on a more powerful engine is more smoother on gearchanges but u still have to play with the gas pedal in order to get full smoothness...best choice is to have it on Es... as for the paddleshift... we took it on mountain roads when we we're given training and i it is great! quik changes and very easy to use... one dissapointment on it is that they turn with the steering wheel which makes it a bit tricky when ur trying to change gears whilst turning the wheel... at least they had it on the gear shift leaver too :) good luck with your choice

hope i have helped!

Hi - yeah I have noticed that too. Maybe yo can help me here, asked a question a while ago and got no response. Do you have to come off your accelerator between gears when driving in E mode? Can you just keep you foot down? Also, I noticed at weekend, this happened twice only. On pulling off from a junction when I had to be pretty quick the engine reved up to 4000 - was still in first gear - didn't seem as if it could engage the next gear up............ :unsure: I panicked and pulled in and it seemed to go OK after that. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

hope i have helped!

Hi - yeah I have noticed that too. Maybe yo can help me here, asked a question a while ago and got no response. Do you have to come off your accelerator between gears when driving in E mode? Can you just keep you foot down? Also, I noticed at weekend, this happened twice only. On pulling off from a junction when I had to be pretty quick the engine reved up to 4000 - was still in first gear - didn't seem as if it could engage the next gear up............ :unsure: I panicked and pulled in and it seemed to go OK after that. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

hope i have helped!

I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing (what I’m still hoping are just) ‘teething problems’ with the Auris Multi-Mode transmission. I’ve had my car for six weeks now & I just can’t make my mind up about it. Each day I go out in it I try to be positive & hope that this might be the day when everything clicks into place & I finally discover the correct way to drive it! I’ve always driven manual cars up to 2004 when I got a new Honda Civic automatic – and was delighted with it. So much so that when I decided to get a new Auris (because I didn’t like the poor rear visibility in the new Civic) I went for the multi-mode thinking I’d get the best of both worlds. Up to now I’ve been very disappointed. It’s a shame because I like so many other aspects and features of the car. In manual mode it drives quite well, but I didn’t want a manual. In sport mode it doesn’t drive too badly but road conditions need to be conducive to putting your foot down. In economy mode however it just races through the gears and if, at 20mph you suddenly need to accelerate there is a frightening pause before anything seems to happen which can be quite scary – particularly if your in the middle of a roundabout! I know that if you really put your foot down in economy mode it will hold the gears for longer but in built-up (30mph) areas you just can’t do that. I’ve not yet experienced the problem you refer to where it seems to hold onto first gear, however I have experienced problems where it doesn’t engage reverse gear first time & I have to return it to neutral before trying again! I keep visiting this website regularly in the hope that I start to see lots of positive comments about this type of transmission so that I can learn what I’m doing wrong. Sorry this is not a very positive or informative post!

Phil

Thanks

hope i have helped!

I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing (what I’m still hoping are just) ‘teething problems’ with the Auris Multi-Mode transmission. I’ve had my car for six weeks now & I just can’t make my mind up about it. Each day I go out in it I try to be positive & hope that this might be the day when everything clicks into place & I finally discover the correct way to drive it! I’ve always driven manual cars up to 2004 when I got a new Honda Civic automatic – and was delighted with it. So much so that when I decided to get a new Auris (because I didn’t like the poor rear visibility in the new Civic) I went for the multi-mode thinking I’d get the best of both worlds. Up to now I’ve been very disappointed. It’s a shame because I like so many other aspects and features of the car. In manual mode it drives quite well, but I didn’t want a manual. In sport mode it doesn’t drive too badly but road conditions need to be conducive to putting your foot down. In economy mode however it just races through the gears and if, at 20mph you suddenly need to accelerate there is a frightening pause before anything seems to happen which can be quite scary – particularly if your in the middle of a roundabout! I know that if you really put your foot down in economy mode it will hold the gears for longer but in built-up (30mph) areas you just can’t do that. I’ve not yet experienced the problem you refer to where it seems to hold onto first gear, however I have experienced problems where it doesn’t engage reverse gear first time & I have to return it to neutral before trying again! I keep visiting this website regularly in the hope that I start to see lots of positive comments about this type of transmission so that I can learn what I’m doing wrong. Sorry this is not a very positive or informative post!

Phil

Cheers for that Phil - thought it was just me. Today - no problems but difficulty again engaging second yesterday when in E mode. ave contacted Toyota in Altrincham where I bought the vehicle and they are going to take a look, cannot get down there till week Saturday though due to work commitments so think I will drive the car in manual mode till then.

Thanks again

Heather

Thanks

hope i have helped!

Phil

Cheers for that Phil - thought it was just me. Today - no problems but difficulty again engaging second yesterday when in E mode. ave contacted Toyota in Altrincham where I bought the vehicle and they are going to take a look, cannot get down there till week Saturday though due to work commitments so think I will drive the car in manual mode till then.

Thanks again

Heather

Hi Heather - thanks for reply. Please post again re. how you get on with the garage. I enjoyed driving mine a bit more last week - hopefully I'll get used to it with time.

Hello All - I have just PX'd my Corolla T3 1.4 D4D MMT for an Auris T3 1.4 D4D MMT. The MMT gearbox takes time to get used to but I love it for its flexibility given that what I really want is an automatic in town and a manual on the open road. The MMT gearbox on the Auris is, in my opinion, just as good (but not really any better) as the MMT gearbox on my previous Corolla (2005 model). I am glad that Toyota replaced that awful chrome top plate though.

There are positives and negatives to MMT which take time to get used to whether you are a manual or normal automatic driver. I love the new paddle shift change on the new Auris. I tend to use E mode around town, in traffic or if I want to make a quick getaway without having to worry about (what is usually) a slowish change manually into second gear. On the open roads I always drive the car in manual mode using the paddle shifts which give a quick positive change. The high position of the gear stick is very useful in instances where, because of sharply turning the wheel, you cannot sensibly use the paddle shifts. Incidentally, I found out just this week that you can use the paddle shifts when in auto (E) or manual mode. As far as I am concerned the Es function is unnecessary given all the other options this superb gearbox provides and I never use it.

One has to get used to lifting off the throttle fractionally when changing gear if you want to achieve the smoothest possible change, this might be unusual for anyone converting from a true automatic but for me it adds to the fun of driving. My wife tends to drive the car with her foot flat on the floor at all times and complains about pauses and jerking because in auto (E) mode (the only mode she uses) the smoothest progress is achieved by "feathering" the throttle, by doing this you really don't have to worry about lifting off and there is almost completely smooth progress.

I like the ability to start off in second gear when on a slope or flat road, one does have to remember though that to select second gear to start off you have to be absolutely stationary first - even at 1mph it may not select 2nd. Then the car will remember that instruction until the point where the car exceeds approx. 24mph it will then revert to returning to 1st gear at about 6mph - this function is very useful in traffic (or snow). With regard to the comments about hill starts, my understanding is that the use of either the footbrake or handbrake will electronically disengage the clutch at slow speed meaning that there is no "creep" like a pure auto box and therefore it is essential to use the handbrake when starting off on a slope rather like a manual. This is one of the reasons I understand that the MMT box achieves such good CO2 ratings over a normal auto box, in fact it is stated by Toyota that it is marginally less polluting than a manual box.

My only complaint with the box is that I think it changes automatically down into first gear at too high a speed, an indicated ten miles an hour on the speedo - realistically about 6mph - this is almost never a problem but the change down into first can provide a bit of a surprise if you are just in the process of wanting to accelerate again at this speed thinking you are in second gear when the box is in the process of selecting first. My recommendation to Toyota would be to alter the electronics to have the MMT box change down into first gear at a speed less than 2mph thus leaving the driver to select first if and when required whilst still on the move (ie: a very steep ascent).

Other than this minor issue I am a complete convert to MMT the only regret being that it is only available on a very few models.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links