Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Story to learn from Taken from IMOC

Fizz

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61408

………… sorry for the doom n gloom type post, but hopefully something good will become of it.

Am sure some of us have either, at one point in their lives ( young or old ) driven whilst over the drink drive limit or thought they were ok to drive or been wasted and still driven or got in a car where the driver was over or hammered.

Or

If your one of the peoples that drink drives now, thinking they’ve had too many beverages but if I was caught what’s the worst that can happen??….loose my licence and have to push bike to work for 12, 18 or 36 months or clip a curb on the way home and scrap an alloy ???

Then read on…..if you have never done any of the above…......................WELL DONE !!!! :thumbsup:

On 8th December last year, my sister, ( she was 19 years old ), was out with 2 friends to the normal night club, whilst driving home on an unfamiliar road she lost control of her car on a bend and hit and knocked down a 7 course, 4 brick thick wall, causing her 2 friends neck, spine and leg injuries but fortunately, for them, they survived. While my sister wasn’t so lucky, she died instantly. This was at 4am, an off duty police chap was driving home from his shift and was on the seen minutes after it happened, so the ambulance etc where called and got there in the quickest time possible.

The funeral was 4 days before Christmas and I can safely say that every Christmas and New Year will now never be the same again.

Anyway, at the time noone knew she was drinking that night, hell, even I saw her at the club and she wasn’t drinking or looked like she had been drinking and the 2 friends said she wasn’t drinking. So the family came to terms with the fact that accidents happen and she lost it on a wet bend in the road ( lots of accidents happen there ) and it was unfamiliar to her. The road is A272 inbetween Haywards Heath and Meresfield, some of you may know this road.

3 weeks after the funeral we were told that she was nearly 3 times over the limit, and, for me, has messed me up even more and I know my Dad and her Mum are proper messed. I mean, when you have a bad crash and you can put it down to speed or texting or phoning someone, ice or water on the road or pratting about or some nob pulling out in front of you, then you can learn from it and move on…but when someone dies or get seriously injured and drinking is involved it becomes a total waste and maybe could have been avoided. Even tho she may have had the same accident being sober, we will never know.

I know this kind of thing is common place on UK roads and every year people die or get caught for drink driving, so this is just another statistic and in no way a rare case as I am sure that nearly everyone has known someone who has died or known someone’s friend who has died on the roads.

But if your one of the people or who know someone who regularly gets into a car hammered or over the limit, instead of thinking….

blimey, if I get caught I gotta walk every where and pay higher insurance and have no car for a while…but it wont happen to me anyway

they can think….

blimey, if I have a crash and kill myself or another person, how will that effect my life, the lives of my family, the friends and family of everyone involved from the passengers, to police and ambulance people and that’s something that no amount of drink, drugs, possessions or traveling or time can take away, ....maybe less people wouldn’t even consider doing it.

I used to on occasion drive whilst knowing that I was over, but having seen my Dad get caught no less than 3 times, seeing my mates get caught, seen a couple of local people get knocked down and having massive brain surgery to survive, being passenger in my own car and my drunk mate spun it and I got a fractured pelvis and totalled the car...(dont worry chaps, it was a 325 coupe ! ), been asked to carry another mate’s coffin to the grave ( one of the hardest things I have had to do….not coz he was a fat bast !!! ) and now losing my sister I can definitely say I will never get into a car if the driver or myself has been drinking.

Sorry for the long post BTW !

I do hope someone reading this can change their mode of transport to a taxi at the weekends instead of playing Russian Roulette with their lives and other peoples lives, not that anyone on here does and this isn’t directed at anyone, but maybe this will change your mind, coz I doubt the Police adverts on the Telly do anything !!!!! ....................because one day, it could be you.

Be safe you lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I have been very fortunate with my friends over the years. We all enjoy a few drinks on a night out but we always have a driver who will either have one drink at the start of the night and then switch to soft drinks or stays off the sauce entirely. This person never pays for anything the entire evening and we have always rotated who it was. Drinking and driving is simply not worth it. I have a mentality that says regardless of how I "feel" I won't get behind a wheel if I've had more than a single drink. The local cab company is AAAA in my mobile so it's the first number to appear so it's an easy choice when faced with drink driving or paying a few quid for a cab to get me home safely.

Sadly, until the ultimate tragedy occurs when one of your own family is killed as a result of drink driving, all other warning signs are ignored, ie: Father caught three times, friends caught, friends knocked down, injured through drunk driving and burying a friend, all of these were an opportunity for many to condemn other peoples actions and take a stand against driving under the influence.

Let’s hope more people take notice of early warnings and react sooner before having to write such a poignant letter like this poor guy.

Les

Having lost a close friend to the hands of an idiot drunk driver, I really believe in a zero tolerance when it comes to drink driving, as even one drink can affect you. And its upsetting how it has to be such a loss to make someone finally realise how dangerous drink driving is...... :(

If you can't stop yourself from getting behind the wheel after having a drink, then perhaps you shouldn't have a license :thumbsup:

If you can't stop yourself from getting behind the wheel after having a drink, then perhaps you shouldn't have a license :thumbsup:

Very true :thumbsup: