Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Major Problem With Yaris

ronnyboy6966

my mums got a 1 litre yaris gls on a 51 plate.

engine liht came on a week ago. it was sensor 1 o2sensor. i cleared the code and hasnt come back on since. then on monday mum said it had a lack of power. idrove and it did. couldnt pull away properly in. wouldnt let you, then you would get some power and then it would die on you again, which isnt right. then the next day had another look at it. and it wasnt idling right. it would near enogh stll. you had to physically rev it, there was still no codes at this point, or a warning light.

spoke to someoe, and they said its symptoms of a blocked cat, so i changed the cat yesterday, but still hesitant. and today its like it was before

so as there isnt a warning light on, that means its not electrical. is it fuel telated,

oh yeah if i disconnect Battery it runs ok but slighty hesitant

can anyone help me. i really need to sort this out soon

thanks

my mums got a 1 litre yaris gls on a 51 plate.

engine liht came on a week ago. it was sensor 1 o2sensor. i cleared the code and hasnt come back on since. then on monday mum said it had a lack of power. idrove and it did. couldnt pull away properly in. wouldnt let you, then you would get some power and then it would die on you again, which isnt right. then the next day had another look at it. and it wasnt idling right. it would near enogh stll. you had to physically rev it, there was still no codes at this point, or a warning light.

spoke to someoe, and they said its symptoms of a blocked cat, so i changed the cat yesterday, but still hesitant. and today its like it was before

so as there isnt a warning light on, that means its not electrical. is it fuel telated,

oh yeah if i disconnect battery it runs ok but slighty hesitant

can anyone help me. i really need to sort this out soon

thanks

I WOULD SUSPECT YOUR O2 SENSOR AS IF THIS HAD GONE IT WOULD ALSO OF DAMAGED YOUR CAT WHICH NOW YOU HAVE CHANGED .I WOULD GO FOR THE O2 SENSOR {LAMBA SENSOR} :thumbsup:

I WOULD SUSPECT YOUR O2 SENSOR AS IF THIS HAD GONE IT WOULD ALSO OF DAMAGED YOUR CAT WHICH NOW YOU HAVE CHANGED .I WOULD GO FOR THE O2 SENSOR {LAMBA SENSOR} :thumbsup:

{E2A87169-8FE7-4372-A05B-ACF7BE0C75A7}_cap.jpg

:angry:

capslocktrick2.gif

:thumbsup:

Hi, if the first lambda (O2) sensor had failed and you didn't replace it but told the ECU it was fixed by clearing the code, the engine will have altered the Fueling map as the lambda sensors tell the engine the amount of fuel, air etc going through the engine and the cat.

this means REPLACE THE O2 sensor!

Then if you take the car down the motor way for a few long runs the car should re adjust the fueling map but it won't be quick as the lambda sensors of most cars usually only have an effect on the map over long journeys to maximise fuel ecomomy and emisions etc.

I'd suggest a trip to MR T and explain exactly the process you went through including clearing the code etc.

This was they may be able to reset the ECU and replace the lambda sensor which should return the car to normal.

Brad =)

p.s. the car will keep running with the Battery disconected as the car has an altenator but this isn't a good thing.

Clean your Maf sensor and air filter. This commonly throws up the 02 sensor fault leading people to an expensive problem when it's not at all. If that does nothing, then id change your 02 sensors, re-set ECU and give it a good 70mph steady drive for an hour or so.

{E2A87169-8FE7-4372-A05B-ACF7BE0C75A7}_cap.jpg

:angry:

capslocktrick2.gif

:thumbsup:

Picky, aren't you?

• 5 months later...

My wife has just bought a 1.0 V reg Yaris and it also has the engine light on. I remember making my own code reader on my V6 Mazda using a non flashing LED light and a paperclip. Can this be done with the Yaris? How do u guys read the codes?

"p.s. the car will keep running with the Battery disconected as the car has an altenator but this isn't a good thing."

Any one know if this is true?I certainly never heard of it with a petrol engine but am prepared to learn..30 years ago ran an old Foden 2stroke truck with no Battery,bumpstart in the morning,just dont stall it!!!!

"p.s. the car will keep running with the battery disconected as the car has an altenator but this isn't a good thing."

Any one know if this is true?I certainly never heard of it with a petrol engine but am prepared to learn..30 years ago ran an old Foden 2stroke truck with no battery,bumpstart in the morning,just dont stall it!!!!

I dont think this will work, my dads car was once left stranded when the negative Battery connector broke, which left the Battery unconnected. He said the car just cut out whilst driving and then had no power whatsoever.

"p.s. the car will keep running with the battery disconected as the car has an altenator but this isn't a good thing."

Any one know if this is true?I certainly never heard of it with a petrol engine but am prepared to learn..30 years ago ran an old Foden 2stroke truck with no battery,bumpstart in the morning,just dont stall it!!!!

I dont think this will work, my dads car was once left stranded when the negative Battery connector broke, which left the Battery unconnected. He said the car just cut out whilst driving and then had no power whatsoever.

Used to work on old cars as people used to start an old banger, take off the Battery and drive to the scrappy to sell the thing. :rolleyes:

Not to be advised on moden stuff though, risk of damaging ecu, etc. (costly)

:huh:

Also, if you take off the battery, some of the ecu memory will be wiped. Then you need to do what others have said about driving for a while, although it may well run 'lumpy' for a while! :(

Used to work on old cars as people used to start an old banger, take off the Battery and drive to the scrappy to sell the thing. :rolleyes:

Also, if you take off the battery, some of the ecu memory will be wiped. Then you need to do what others have said about driving for a while, although it may well run 'lumpy' for a while! :(

One of the battery connections once came off in my Dad's cars when he was on a long drive. He didn't realise until he couldn't start it the next time. A quick look under the bonnet showed what was wrong & he just had to reconnect it & it was fine.

On of the connections came loose on my Yaris's battery, making it hiccup when starting. I only had to tighten it up with a spanner & it's been fine ever since.

One of the battery connections once came off in my Dad's cars when he was on a long drive. He didn't realise until he couldn't start it the next time. A quick look under the bonnet showed what was wrong & he just had to reconnect it & it was fine.

On of the connections came loose on my Yaris's battery, making it hiccup when starting. I only had to tighten it up with a spanner & it's been fine ever since.

Used to work on old cars as people used to start an old banger, take off the battery and drive to the scrappy to sell the thing.

Only on diesel engines ,not petrol,,also when swinging with starting handle old indirect injection diesel motors they had a nasy habit of firing up and running the wrong way i.e.exhaust became inlet and air cleaner the exhaust.Quite messy.What fun it was!!!!

Starting handles........f :censor: s I thought I had a few years in the trade (over 30) most of the peeps on here woud'nt know a starting handle if it backfired and hit em on the a :censor: se. Aahhh those were the days when you got up at 5 and swung yer handle till 8, marvelous. Kingo :thumbsup:

Aahhh those were the days when you got up at 5 and swung yer handle till 8, marvelous. Kingo :thumbsup:

i think youll find a few guys on here do just that :P

Used to work on old cars as people used to start an old banger, take off the battery and drive to the scrappy to sell the thing.

Only on diesel engines ,not petrol,,also when swinging with starting handle old indirect injection diesel motors they had a nasy habit of firing up and running the wrong way i.e.exhaust became inlet and air cleaner the exhaust.Quite messy.What fun it was!!!!

My friend had an East German MZ 2 stroke motorbike, which he could start in reverse sometimes. He tried riding it & found it very tricky to ride backwards.

• 2 months later...

starting handles .can only be turned one way ...if they could be turned 2 ways when they fire up they would take your arm off..at least on my 50s rover and any old classic ive ever seen..............2 strokes could start in reverse with a bump start

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links