Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Acceleration Flat Spot

bigdave229

Hi guys, my yaris t sport 52 just started doing this well weird thing. When i accelerate when is hits 3 thousands rpm it hits a kind of flat spot and just doesn't go. if i keep my foot in it goes again when i hit about 4 rpms. Any ideas? I was thinking sparks, or maybe something wrong with the vvti. no idea really.

aye vvti kicks in bout 3000-4000 so cud be that

the mechanicly minded boys will be along in a bit to help ya lol

VVT-i kick in @ 4000rpm matey! I think it will be the plugs as you said or maybe a fuel blockage :thumbsup:

I would check the plugs & go from there if i was you :thumbsup:

VVTi doesnt come in at any particular point on the yaris. The VVTi system works throughout the rev range and changes the cam timing depending on how you are driving. The VTEC system on Honda cars works differently tho and it does kick in. Its normally at some higher point in the rev range and u'll actually feel it happen.

Sounds like a spark problem to me mate. take out the plugs and check the gaps.

Worth replacing them even if it isn't the problem but measuring them and checking for carbon deposits should give you a good clue.

Brad =)

I had exactly the same problem in my P2 about 9 months ago. The acceleration would just drop at about 3200 rpm, and then you would notice it jump back into life around 4k. It was most noticable in 3rd gear, but affected all gears. Thankfully the problem has disappeared now and the car goes smoothly through the revs. It still gets a bit of a boost at just over 4k, but thats to be expected anyway as peak torque is at 4.2k and thats when the fun starts. Can easily get carried away though as 4k to 6.5k happens in the blink of an eye - I've run out of revs in 2nd and 3rd a few times now!

• 13 years later...

Hey! Sorry to post on such an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have a 2000 ph1 1litre 16v yaris. I have an intermiting flat spot at 3k mostly noticable in 3rd gear like you said.

For a long time the eml was coming on saying cat efficiently low so i kept turning it off. Im not sure if the cat is maybe blocked and causing this intermiting fault. So far i have replaced plugs, maf, lambda sensors and tested the coil packs. Ive also check the fuel pump and lines 🙂

any help would be appreciated thanks!

1 hour ago, Calvin_Yaris said:

Sorry to post on such an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this?

The OP last visited the club in April 2010, so you're unlikely to receive a response from them.

Please start a new topic.

Topic locked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links