Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Tank Removal Help

den9112

hi, i have a 95 rav4 gx and i need to remove my fuel tank to replace a part on the side of the tank near the top . it is not the top bracket as i can get to that through the top (via a plate ) it is the one just below that . it is called the tube fuel assembly with a long tube 12inch aprox attached to a round plate with a rubber seal . i have been to my local garage who have told me it is about a hours labour but they cannot fit me in for a week , the smell and leak is a bit to much to put up with for a week . can any help on how difficult or easy it is to remove the fuel tank . i have some knowledge of working on cars so i believe i could handle the job . i thought i might get some tips and advice before i start . thanks

hi, i have a 95 rav4 gx and i need to remove my fuel tank to replace a part on the side of the tank near the top . it is not the top bracket as i can get to that through the top (via a plate ) it is the one just below that . it is called the tube fuel assembly with a long tube 12inch aprox attached to a round plate with a rubber seal . i have been to my local garage who have told me it is about a hours labour but they cannot fit me in for a week , the smell and leak is a bit to much to put up with for a week . can any help on how difficult or easy it is to remove the fuel tank . i have some knowledge of working on cars so i believe i could handle the job . i thought i might get some tips and advice before i start . thanks

I replaced the petrol tank on my '94 RAV as someone had kindly jacked the car up using the tank as the jackpoint! Taking the tank out was fairly straightforward, remembering you have various hoses to take off and of course the large filler hose. The 2 long brackets come off alright. Its a bit of a footer to get the cable connections undone. The tank however won't come down until you drop the rear prop shaft - its important when you do this that you mark its position so its goes back maintaining balance. From memory, you have to remove the exhaust which was ok but a bgr to get back together. You can do it yourself, but ideally you could use another person to hold the tank as its quite large/unwieldy. I took the opportunity to replace various pipes and rubber hoses and used braiding for added protection. On the filler tube and hose, the breather hose fell apart as it had corroded badly - I replaced it with braided hose too. The tank was given several coats of hammerite paint. As far as time, I'm not the fittest and it took me a fair bit longer than an hour. I doubt if it could be done in an hour, especially on an older car where something else happens when you start pulling things apart ! Hope this helps. Ian

I replaced the petrol tank on my '94 RAV as someone had kindly jacked the car up using the tank as the jackpoint! Taking the tank out was fairly straightforward, remembering you have various hoses to take off and of course the large filler hose. The 2 long brackets come off alright. Its a bit of a footer to get the cable connections undone. The tank however won't come down until you drop the rear prop shaft - its important when you do this that you mark its position so its goes back maintaining balance. From memory, you have to remove the exhaust which was ok but a bgr to get back together. You can do it yourself, but ideally you could use another person to hold the tank as its quite large/unwieldy. I took the opportunity to replace various pipes and rubber hoses and used braiding for added protection. On the filler tube and hose, the breather hose fell apart as it had corroded badly - I replaced it with braided hose too. The tank was given several coats of hammerite paint. As far as time, I'm not the fittest and it took me a fair bit longer than an hour. I doubt if it could be done in an hour, especially on an older car where something else happens when you start pulling things apart ! Hope this helps. Ian

I forgot to say that I replaced all the hose clips as the ones used were corroded and I ended up destroying them. I also got hold of reinforced plastic petrol hose from Demon Tweeks to use as a sleeve over the filler pipe as altho it was intact it showed signs of corrosion. If you have a smell of petrol, it could be coming from the breather pipe which follows the filler pipe up to the filler cap. This pipe is thin metal and despite the Toyota plastic guard was still open to silt etc from the road. I had a Toyota previa and we had to replace the breather pipe on that as well.

I forgot to say that I replaced all the hose clips as the ones used were corroded and I ended up destroying them. I also got hold of reinforced plastic petrol hose from Demon Tweeks to use as a sleeve over the filler pipe as altho it was intact it showed signs of corrosion. If you have a smell of petrol, it could be coming from the breather pipe which follows the filler pipe up to the filler cap. This pipe is thin metal and despite the Toyota plastic guard was still open to silt etc from the road. I had a Toyota previa and we had to replace the breather pipe on that as well.

thanks for the reply

• 3 years later...

what size braided hose is required for the breather pipe to filler tube

jc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links