Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-4d Oil And Filter Change

dagbladet

Sorry if it's been done before, but tried a search and wasn't succesful. Just bought a second hand D-4D and thought i'd give it a oil and filter change. Haven't got a manual but having changed oil and filters on dozens of cars I thought it would be a breeze. Well blow me if I drew a blank. No chance of removing the filter from above, when I went down below, all I could see was a huge sheet of plastic completely covering the sump. I think I came across a small access panel that may reveal the sump plug. By this time it started to snow so I retreated defeated to the pub. What's the secret folks, I can't relax 'til I know i've got fresh oil in the beast. :help:

lol - there are two flaps underneath - one near the front to let you get to the oil filter (near the centre at the front - about 10 inches back from the bottom of the bumper, and the second further back)

I've never done it myself - my car's still young enough for an FTSH, but the undertray was off mine at the weekend when it was on ramps. Removing the tray is impossible without having the car raised about a foot btw.

G'luck!

:thumbsup:

A

Thanks alanbradley

So given I've got no pit, it looks like it's gone from a half-hour job to a right kerfuffle. I wonder about these £15 oil and filter change adverts I see in the paper?

Does anyone know if the £15-20 oil and filter change boys, drop the oil through the sump or suck it out of the dipstick holder? Would have thought it would leave a load of nasty stuff behind if it was the latter.

Does anyone know if the £15-20 oil and filter change boys, drop the oil through the sump or suck it out of the dipstick holder? Would have thought it would leave a load of nasty stuff behind if it was the latter.

I think that you will find for that price they will suck it out (I think it is quite a common practice)...............and you may not get a "Toyota" branded filter

I've used 2 different branches of National Tyres and Autocare (they're the ones that always advertise in the paper for £15-25 oil changes) twice in the past for one of my previous cars (zetec engined Fiesta) and both garages lifted the car in the air and dropped the oil out of the sump.

The prices they quote are generally £15 for hypergrade, £20 semi-synthetic and £25 fully synthetic. However, you really need to know the exact grade of oil you need. My old Fiesta HAD to have 5w30 oil in it (old zetec engines had problems with sticking valves) and National stocked this, but it was £30, and of course they used a Unipart (or similar) filter.

Never had any problems but you do need to know exactly which oil you need. Wouldn't take my Yaris there as it's too new!

Thanks Chris

It is Nat tyres and auto that are currently advertising the oil and filter change, prices exactly as per your post. Of the 2 branches practical to me, Strood said their oil pump is broken and to try again towards the end of next week (co-incidentally the offer ends at the end of next week), and Bexleyheath said that they don't do Yaris diesels as it's "not on the computer"!?!

Computer says noooo!

I think that you will find for that price they will suck it out (I think it is quite a common practice)...............and you may not get a "Toyota" branded filter

Apologies for the crap earlier on - its been a while since I used this site.

There are two small hatches on the plastic undertray closed with a single screw: one gives access to the sump plug and the other gives access to the oil filter. I use one of these rubber bungee luggage straps to hold them open - hook the other end on to something suitable. I should warn you that when you take off the oil filter, you're guaranteed a gush of oil up your arm! Anyone any suggestions for avoiding this - I've tried cloths and newspaper but somehow always end up getting splodged.

Good luck with your oil change. Shouldn't take long.

Cheers

Jim (Cullen)

Yes, it has a copper washer. I sometimes buy my filters from local Toyota garage and they always include one (at a price). You can also buy pattern filters on eBay for about half the price of an OE one. Another tip is to have a filler funnel under the drain plug when you open it. It never pours where you think it will, as evidenced by the mess on my garage floor!

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my oil and filter done by national tyres and they done a really good job. they raised the car undid the sump plug. waited until the oil had stopped dripping then fitted a unipart filter, sump plug(with the new washer i supplied). then carefully filled with bp visco 7000 fully synthetic oil. They also filled a top up bottle for me which i supplied(deal up to 6l of oil). all for £23.40 (online ordering discount).

all in all a good service was supplied. for this price i will do it twice a year.

Mike

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links