Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Idle Sound

olobolo

Hi,

I'm pretty new to T-Sport and still not used to how it sounds? Mine Yaris is 3.5 years old and has around 50.000 of mileage.

When the engine is warm and idle it sounds like a diesel and produces a strange constant hiss. I've checked the car at local Toyota garage and they said that everything is ok.

How does your yts sound like? Maybe I'm a little bit too concerned and shouln't be worried?

Another issue is the original exhaust sound -- it is getting quite loud above 3k rpm when I thought it should be getting quiet when the revs are getting higher? Maybe I should get a new one cause it a bit old and used.

Do you hear your standard exhaust inside the car?

Cheers!

My TS idles at quite a high rpm compared to other cars i've been in. So it tends to be noisy, and because it's chain driven it will sound noisier than belt driven cars.

My exhaust note gets louder above 3k.

My TS idles at quite a high rpm compared to other cars i've been in...

Mine idles at around 510-530 rpm and kind of disel sound can be heard only then -- above 1000 it stops.

hmm weird. Is the timing chain lose?, my bros Micra sounded like a diesel until they tightened the timing chain.

mine too...need to see find out about getting mine tightened up...any ideas on how much it should cost?

hmm weird. Is the timing chain lose?, my bros Micra sounded like a diesel until they tightened the timing chain.

I had my timing chain checked at local toyota garage and thay said it was ok. They suggested replacing it but after around 12k miles from now.

Yeah they do sound a bit rough, mine idles quite low so sounds even worse! As said before its just a characteristic of a chain driven engine. Yes the exhaust is noisey and yes it will get louder as the revs rise.. i quite like it miself :D

... Yes the exhaust is noisey and yes it will get louder as the revs rise.. i quite like it miself

I like it too but it could sound better. For me when driving on motorways is a pain 'cause the noise is too loud that I have to limit the speed to max 120 km/h :(

I'm thinking of soundproofing the rear boot and the space under the rear seats as there are no any foams or mats there.

I have my TS from new, and the exhaust was always loud at 3K and over.

If you blitz the car on the motorway for about an hour the exhaust gets louder and deeper sounding.

I guess that it's because the exhaust system and especially the cat is getting hot.

nothing to worry about.

Maybe a mechanic can shed some light on it.