Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking Front Brake Pads

Bill Fenton

About 6 months ago my local garage fitted replacement brake pads to my Yaris [ not genuine Toyota parts ]. Two quite distinct clicking noises have now developed as I apply the brakes. This only happens when moving and when the brakes are warm, most annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so do they have a solution ? My inclinations are to renew the pads again with Toyota parts as I suspect that they are not fitting into the guides properly or maybe are slightly undersized in manufacture. However, I really would like to know what the problem is.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome............Bill

try getting the garage to grease the shims, the thin metal pieces between the pad and caliper. Hopefully this should help.

try getting the garage to grease the shims, the thin metal pieces between the pad and caliper. Hopefully this should help.

Many Thanks....will try that. ....Bill

Its more than likely ur caliper pins m8 mine do it too!What happens is after a while the grease on the pins hardens and obviously stops doin its job so then u have little lubrication and the caliper knocks when the brakes are applied, ud need to strip ur brakes and clean the old hardened grease off and apply some new grease!I know toyota have proper caliper grease.... its white in colour and very thick but i dont know if they wud sell it to u or ud need to book in m8y!!Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Its more than likely ur caliper pins m8 mine do it too!What happens is after a while the grease on the pins hardens and obviously stops doin its job so then u have little lubrication and the caliper knocks when the brakes are applied, ud need to strip ur brakes and clean the old hardened grease off and apply some new grease!I know toyota have proper caliper grease.... its white in colour and very thick but i dont know if they wud sell it to u or ud need to book in m8y!!Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks for that too...Like both of you, I too suspect that it has not been greased up properly. I am sure that Halfords sell the white High Melting Point Grease for calipers etc...I will probably take off the calipers etc, myself to examine, grease up etc just to satisfy my curiosity...the bit that puzzles me a little is why the clicking only happens when the car is moving ?...Cheers...Bill

Thanks for that too...Like both of you, I too suspect that it has not been greased up properly. I am sure that Halfords sell the white High Melting Point Grease for calipers etc...I will probably take off the calipers etc, myself to examine, grease up etc just to satisfy my curiosity...the bit that puzzles me a little is why the clicking only happens when the car is moving ?...Cheers...Bill

Updating on progress....Ordered up some copper grease on the internet...a tube delivered at £3.50 from Motormart......slipped off the caliper on the nearside wheel side yesterday and found that the interface between the caliper and the shims were quite dry...just touched up temporarily with ordinary grease then refitted and tested...lo and behold the clicking has gone !!!! When the copper grease arrives I will again remove the calipers, apply the proper stuff to the faces and my money is on that it cures the problem permanantly......Job only takes about 10 minutes a wheel so not worth asking the garage to investigate again.......Bill :yahoo:

Bill.................take off the ordinary grease immediately as it is not high temperature stuff like copperslip and will get in all the wrong places if it gets warm.......with possible dire consequences

Bill - does the clicking noise happen when you're braking whilst slowing down (i.e. still moving), or is it just when you brake to a halt? And is it just one distinct click or a series of clicks?! I've noticed that when I'm reversing and then brake and come to a complete stop, that theres a single click from the front brakes, but only when I release the brake pedal. Doesn't seem to happen when driving forwards though.

There's also a click noise from the rear disc brakes when I release the handbrake.

Do any other Yaris owners hear the same things?!

Bill.................take off the ordinary grease immediately as it is not high temperature stuff like copperslip and will get in all the wrong places if it gets warm.......with possible dire consequences

No problems I did realise this, I just put on the lightest possible smear to one brake caliper to see if it would do the job on a quick test run and it did...I have now removed with petrol and today I am putting on the proper copper grease which arrived in the post this morning. Thanks for the warning though.....Bill

Bill - does the clicking noise happen when you're braking whilst slowing down (i.e. still moving), or is it just when you brake to a halt? And is it just one distinct click or a series of clicks?! I've noticed that when I'm reversing and then brake and come to a complete stop, that theres a single click from the front brakes, but only when I release the brake pedal. Doesn't seem to happen when driving forwards though.

There's also a click noise from the rear disc brakes when I release the handbrake.

Do any other Yaris owners hear the same things?!

Hi Chris...no, it was only happening when the car was going forward. Could not get any noise when stationary. Sounds like the metal to metal click is easily curable by smearing the surfaces lightly with copper grease and I will let you know if this is so after I have done both calipers later today. Easy job, just two bolts and the caliper slips off.....Bill

I know it doesn't do it when stationery, I meant does it do it when you slow down to a complete stop, when you roll up to traffic lights and stop completely for example, rather than braking just to slow down rather than stop.

I know it doesn't do it when stationery, I meant does it do it when you slow down to a complete stop, when you roll up to traffic lights and stop completely for example, rather than braking just to slow down rather than stop.

It used to happen when the brakes were applied and the car was still moving...usually towards the end of the braking action and definitely before the car stopped. Pumping the brakes when stopped did not produce the clicking noise.

Took me about half an hour to take off both calipers, clean off old grease and apply copper grease to both shim faces of each caliper.... there is not a hint of a clicking noise now...job done :yahoo: :yahoo: ...Bill