Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Intercooler Question... For The Clever People

Jimlad

I have a larger SMIC to get fitted to my rex.

Some Rx7 people have said don't do it unless I have a Apexi PFC fitted and mapped. Some people said that the car could run lean?

But I don't see what the problem would be?

Surely all a larger IC/SMIC does is help keep the intake temps lower, then in thoery allowing you to run more boost as long as you have sufficient fuelling.

So running stock boost with a larger SMIC/IC, I don't see where the problem would lie? No more fuel would need to be added, hence you shouldn't run lean???

Might be wrong though.

should be ok but a larger ic may make the car laggier. is the rex AFM or MAP sensored? if afm as long as there are no leaks it should be ok as far as i can tell. i know ppl with st-185's and 205's running FMIC and std ecu with no probs, unless its a rex thing

Map sensor mate.

You see, I spoke with the US guys and they said it would be fine as long as the boost didn't increase anything over stock.

The UK folk said don't do it unless I get a Apexi PFC. Sometimes I think people are being over cautious though because it's a Rex?

I dunno... I'm gonna fit it and get a PFC in a month or two.

Surely all a larger IC/SMIC does is help keep the intake temps lower, then in thoery allowing you to run more boost as long as you have sufficient fuelling.

So running stock boost with a larger SMIC/IC, I don't see where the problem would lie? No more fuel would need to be added, hence you shouldn't run lean???

Might be wrong though.

Hou.... I'll be selling the stock SMIC, you can have it if you want?? £15?

I'm not familiar with an RX7 but i can explain how the whole system works hollistically.

in a normal scenario, air goes in to the compressor end of the turbo, its pressure increases and it also gets hotter. this air then goes into the engine and is combusted.

in an intercooled scenario, air goes into the compressor end of the turbo, its pressure increases, it gets hotter. It then goes into the intercooler at which point some heat is taken out, this makes the air more dense (has the effect of increasing pressure) and then the air goes into the engine and is combusted.

the whole problem you would have is depending on how the fuel system on the car works. There are two types of sensor MAF (mass air flow) and MAP (metered air pressure). If you have MAF, then its no problem your ECU will adjust for the increase in air accordingly (as mass cannot be created or destroyed).

However if you have MAP you will have a problem because it works off inlet pressure. By the time your air enters the combustion chamber it will be running lean. The ECU thinks there is less air than there actually is so doesn't spray enough fuel in.

hope this helps

sanj

Yeah.... both the UK and US ones. But I knew some people here... Dawesy and others had some decent knowlege.

Anyway.... you shut up!

Well here it is nearly all fitted and back together.

dsc00388yu3.jpg

I'll get pics of the stock IC to you tomorrow mate.

Been a while since I've seen old Jimlad on the forums :D MR2 gone and I assume a batty to replace it!?

Some Rx7 people have said don't do it unless........

I'm guessing this is a UK thing......rex as in WRX!!?? but then you say RX7, do you guys call RX7's "rex" for short?

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Does that air scoop on the light cover actually do anything?

Not really.... lol.

Been a while since I've seen old Jimlad on the forums :D MR2 gone and I assume a batty to replace it!?

Some Rx7 people have said don't do it unless........

I'm guessing this is a UK thing......rex as in WRX!!?? but then you say RX7, do you guys call RX7's "rex" for short?

Cheers

KiwiMR2

No... rex as in Rx7! I would never have a scooby! Eugh! ... lol.

Mate, you've not been here for a while! I've had a pulsar a Supra TT an Evo IV! ... lol. Man, where you been?

It's the original ducting modified slightly (using a paint tray also) to ensure air gets forced through the IC.

It's a temp measure until I get something made out of fibreglass.

It will do mate. Not at the moment though.

I need to get an Apexi PFC fitted and mapped, then it'll make quite a difference along with the other mods.

No... rex as in Rx7! I would never have a scooby! Eugh! ... lol.

Mate, you've not been here for a while! I've had a pulsar a Supra TT an Evo IV! ... lol. Man, where you been?

So you guys don't call WRX's "rex"!?

GTiR I assume!? Supra, Evo....all the cool cars, and you settled on a Batty?........or your not settled just yet? :D

My mate just sold his batty....stock standard with 120,000 km's on the clock, had a full rebuild at around 90,000 km's when itvlew a rotor....sold it for $10K NZ. I took it for a blat prior to him selling it and was quite impressed....reminded me a lot of my MR2 but with a bit of a stronger pull & less twitchy handling wise.

I'm all sold up & have a modified Mini as my daily driver & a Libero GT family wagon (take a look at some of my recent posts for pics etc.) as were starting a family....brought a house as well so yeah, thought it was time to jump back on these forums for a look around & see what you lot are all up to now :P

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links