Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 High Mileage?

CarlP

I'm thinking about getting a 1.0 Yaris for my daughter as her first car. Looking on Autotrader it is not uncommon for them to have covered 90,000 plus miles. Should I regard this as very high for such a small engine and leave well alone? Or, providing it has full service history, will it still have a good amount of life left in it?

The Yaris first came out in 1999 so early examples will have roughly 80k (average mileage) on the clock now as they'll be 8 years old.

So long as they have a full service history, it should be no bother! :thumbsup:

106k and still going strong, and it gets well used, upward of 400 miles a week, and still returns over 48mpg on the motorway! Mine is a 99 model, issues I had:

When I bought the car at 96K, nothing had been replaced from what I could tell! Original Battery, exhaust, rad, sump, alt drive belt etc. Since, and not surprisingly, the exhaust and sump have both gone, but I wasn't surprised, hence <1700 price tag.

Exhaust is one piece from manifold to rear muffler, so T parts are >£500 but mine went at the flange with rear muffler (not the CAT fortunetly!), and replacement sections can be fitted easily (<£70 for the part on the net).

Sump rusted through, Christmas eve believe it or not, but was £56+vat for Mr T spare and 100+vat to fit.

Also, the alternator drive belt was cracking, prob would keep going, but I replaced for £7.50 and an hour and halfs work, and the rad looks chocky at the bottom so its on my list.

New oil filter (goes without saying), 3.50 from Halfords.

Gearboxes may be clunky at these millages but certainly nothing to worry about.

Other than that, make sure the oil has been/is changed regularly and it should be a solid motor!

My W plate Yaris GS covered 148k miles in 4 1/2 years and was used for driving tuition,

never really had any serious problems so 90k is only just getting going........

Good luck! :thumbsup:

An engine will go forever if you maintain it properly, and obviously change parts that wear out from normal wear and tear. I wouldnt worry at all, just make sure it has been well maintained and that the timing belt has been changed if it is supposed to have been, and take it on a good test drive. I dont know what mileage you change the timing belt at someone else can probably tell you, but it probably should hvae been done by 80k.

My 1.0 from 1999 is 166k miles. Nothing to report (nothing at all!!!).

Cheers all, very reassuring. Also on her list is a Mk2 Clio. Pretty little car but I'm hoping a Yaris will become available first!

An engine will go forever if you maintain it properly, and obviously change parts that wear out from normal wear and tear. I wouldnt worry at all, just make sure it has been well maintained and that the timing belt has been changed if it is supposed to have been, and take it on a good test drive. I dont know what mileage you change the timing belt at someone else can probably tell you, but it probably should hvae been done by 80k.

The Yaris does not have a timing belt................It has a chain and they are good for many many miles with an audible check for wear at 70,000 miles

Oh ok, well i dont know what it has as mine hasnt needed checked yet im only at 22000 miles.

Anyway, it doesnt matter if its a chain or a belt, the point still stands that you need to make sure its been checked or changed when required as its very important. So make sure when you go to look at a car that the belt or chain has been checked or changed in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. This guy will need to check that the chain was checked at 70,000 miles.

DONT BUY A CLIO FOR GOD SAKE

Can I just also add DONT BUY A CLIO FOR GOD SAKE!

The better half got rid of her brand new clio after about 8k because it spent more time in the garage than on the road, cost us a fortune in depreciation as well :(

I used to have an old Laguna and I must have spent more money in fixing it than I spent when I bought it and it wasnt a bargain basement price :ffs: I'd buy a bike (non motor variety) before I buy another Renault

I've done approx 20k in my Yaris now (1.4 D4D) and it hasn't had a single problem, best car I have ever owned.

113,000 in an sr and its neva faltered once

no major parts changed

only consumer durables such as pad/tyres

clutch will need a look at in next 10k but that it

jst keep an eye on the oil n u will be sweet as a nutt :)

I have very low milleage yaris but nothing has gone wrong as its a toyota, you will only have problems with non jap cars at high milleage.

Hope you both find a really nice yaris with no problems :)

clarky's at well over 120K miles with his and you'd think it had about half that. High mileage is not a problem provided its been maintained.

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links