•  

Show
Photo

Prius Alarm System - Any Known Problems ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kramaring

kramaring

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: Black Prius T3

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

I have owned an '06 Toyota Prius T3 since Oct 2006. I have been having an intermittant problem with the alarm system which hasn't recently gotten worse. The car alarm goes off for no reason at all when the car is sat on my drive :angry:

Sometimes it is a one off - other times like last night it happened three times :ffs:

The car has been back to the dealer on 4 occassions. They eventually changed some alarm sensor but the problem has if anything gotten worse since then. My confidence in the dealer is now zero.

I wonder if any other Prius owners have had any alarm problems. If so what were they and how were they fixed ?

Any idea if it is possible to deactivate permanently or remove the audible part of the alarm system in a Prius.

Final question - When I get out of the Prius and lock the doors / activate the alarm with the key fob - I notice that the alarm indicator light (a red light with a key symbol) pulses rather that blinks on and off. I think the manual states that the light should blink on and off whereas mines stays permanently lit but pulses in brightness. Can anyone confirm whether this is normal - i.e what does the alarm indicator light do on your prius when you lock the car.

Yours - one unhappy Prius owner.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SilverT4

SilverT4

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius TSpirit Gen3 Black

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

I have had my Prius now fro over three years and never had any alarm problems. However I was sat in my Toyota dealers service waiting area the other day and overheard a conversation between the receptionist and a customer.

The customer had been complaining for some time about his alarm activating whislt the car was on his drive, but it had been checked over by the dealer who could find no problem. It then transpired that one of his neighbours was setting off the alarm when he used his remote key fob on his own car (not sure if it was also a Toyota). The receptionist thought they must be using the same radio frequency and she would have to speak to Toyota to find out how to change it as there is no field change procedure for this.

Maybe you have the same problem?

#3 ak56

ak56

• Registered Member
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

This has just started to happen with our Prius alarm. It went off a few times during the day, a few days ago. It was then OK for a few days and started to go off intermittantly again this morning. Fortunately it has not gone off at night.

I will check with the neighbours to see if they are doing anything different, given comments in last post.

I am trying to contact the dealer by phone with no luck yet (they are always v busy!!) to see what they suggest.

#4 Lye

Lye

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • Toyota Model: prius spirit

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Had my Prius Spirit Nov 07, Alarm has been playing up going off at night and unable to open the car other than with the key and of course the alarm goes off. The time clock also reverts to 1pm so it appeared to be a power cut.
Local dealer sorted it out, a bad earth, no trouble since.

#5 ak56

ak56

• Registered Member
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

I found my sunglasses in the overhead storage were kinda jammed up against the roof space. I read somewhere the sensor for the internal alarm is up there somewhere. I removed the sunglasses.

Since then no more intemitant alarm activations! Not sure if this solution has any serious credibility, but if anyone is having problems with the alarm its an easy thing to try.

#6 petrolhead

petrolhead

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: yaris t sport

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

if you arm the alarm them wave your hand abone the front of the roof area and the alarm goes off it is because the sensor is going the wrong way out of the car there is a toyota fix i think it is to tape over the top of the sensor above the front map light

#7 kramaring

kramaring

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: Black Prius T3

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

This problem was fixed a while ago but I never posted up :unsure:

It was caused by my sunglasses being stored in the overhead compartment. Once I removed my sunglasses from the compartment, which I assume is meant for sunglasses. The problem went away.

Strange but true.

#8 Mkuk0

Mkuk0

Part time enginer, part time bassist, full time idiot.

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • First Name:Russell
  • Toyota Model: Prius T3 in Cabernet Red
  • Year: 2013

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

This problem was fixed a while ago but I never posted up :unsure:

It was caused by my sunglasses being stored in the overhead compartment. Once I removed my sunglasses from the compartment, which I assume is meant for sunglasses. The problem went away.

Strange but true.

How did you discover this? was it the earlier post? or Did Mr T pass on info? If so, what reason did they give for sunglasses in holder causing alarm to go off? I am intrigued.

#9 stompe

stompe

Mr

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Auris Excel Hybrid
  • Year: 2013

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

The alarm problem could possibly be when taxi's speak on their radio I have known it to set off car alarms. Not being an engineer I think the problem somehow interfers with the Prius' ultra sonics, i.e. the alarm button down by your knees. I think if you turn it off and give it a try, it might not set off your alarm (this is only the ultra sonics it turns off not the whole alarm). I know this is not really the answer but I think it may work.

Stompe

#10 gammydad

gammydad

• Registered Member
  • 4 posts
  • Toyota Model: Prius T-Spirit

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

My new Prius set its alarm off three times - once in the eveing and twice in the morning.

To the best of my knowledge none of the neighbours was using their car door remote key at the time, and there were no taxis in the area.

I did have a purse contaning parking meter coins in the small overhead 'sunglasses bin'. I have since removed the purse (and yes there is a sensor inside this little bin) and, several days later, there have been no more incidents.

So, maybe the sensor is sensitive to metal objects in the bin.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users