Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Im In A Spot Of Bother, Help?

cpiddy1980

Hi there all. Ive read quite alot on this forum and you all seem really friendly. I have a we problem and i was wondering if you could help me. My dad just bought a yaris and the first thing i said when he told me was why? Then after driving it i was really surpried! Its feels so big inside and the dashboard looks really cool. He bought a 1.0 vvt-i gs btw. So im currenty driving a 2.0i volvo s40. I went to my local dealer and ive seen an amazing 54 plate yaris t3 1.0. With my car as a trade in, i'll get the Yaris for £5500. Its only done 12500 miles. Well my problem is, do you guys think i'll miss the power of the volvo if i buy the Yaris? i'll be wanting to keep it for at least 3years. I don't drive fast, always to the speed limit and i also live on an island so i won't be driving on any motoways. I really want a car that is cheap to run and also build up my no claims bonus so that when im in a better financal postion i'll be able to buy a brand new (maybe a yaris sr1.8). i really like the car ive seen and can see myself driving it. Thanks for your time guys, cheers Chris.

Welcome to TOC

From what you say the Yaris would be your ideal car.

Cheap to run and insure and more than capable of acheiving the national speed limit and quite capable on island roads and motorways if you ever bring it to the mainland.

It would also hold more value over 3 years than your Volvo.

You have already found one of the best reasons for owning a Toyota......................TOC ;)

Thank you for your quick reply. Im just wanting as many opions as possible before i make up my mind. The car ive seen is in amazing condtion. The car looks like its never been driven. Im just wondering if anyone owns a 1.0 and what they think about it? Thank you once again, Cheers Chris. Im 26 btw

I got the yaris as a birthday present and at first i thought.....old persons car, but after driving it i love it, so much better than all the other small cars around.

Power wise the yaris is "nippy" which sounds ideal for island life :)

Hope you get one!

If you are after a bit more power you could also look out for a 1.3 model which would also fall into your budget.

You might even be able to get the TSport version which is a 1.5 and looks nicer - although it will be an older car with a few more miles on.

If you don't know alot about the yaris have a look around here for pictures/info on spec etc.

When I got given a 1l as a courtesy car I was shocked at how quick it was and expected it to be 'really' slow but it wasn't.

Anything else just ask :thumbsup:

hi mate - welcome to the forums, also got the yaris brought for me and thought...1.0?! thats gona be a bit slow...

but to be honest with you its quite nippy and quite responsive (if you need it to be) in the higher rev range...

I had a GS for a few years, I bought it soon after my wife past her test as she wanted something reliable and easy to drive.. I thought I would miss the power, but I can honestly say I didn't (I had a 1.6 carina before).

As has allready been said, they are very nippy and can easily be compared to 1.2 Corsa's and Clio's, most other 1.0 don't come close to the Yaris' level of performance. After saying that.. you WILL miss the power when it comes to steep hills, you may find yourself dropping a gear where beforehand you didn't have to.. but it just adds to the driving fun that the Yaris has in an abundance... that is what the Yaris is all about.. fun driving on the cheap (fuel, insurance etc).. I don't think you would regret it if you bought one.

Only thing I'd say to watch out for is hills.

Driving the 1.0l becomes a bit tedious with more than 2 in the car when going up a hill.

sounds like a good choice mate, apart from i would get the 1.3, even more fun

Only thing I'd say to watch out for is hills.

Driving the 1.0l becomes a bit tedious with more than 2 in the car when going up a hill.

Yes, the above comments are very true. I've owned a 1 litre Yaris and now have a 1.3 version. Driving around town, they don't feel that much different to each other. I also drive in North Wales a lot however and there that 300cc makes a lot of difference, especially on the hills.

While I loved my 1 litre, I must say that for country roads and hills, the 1.3 is significantly better, so worth considering. :yes:

Thanks for all your replys. They've been very helpful. I think the 1.0 should meet my needs very well as i only carry at most three people at one time. Most of the time it would be just my girlfriend and i. On long journeys on the island we tend to only visit her side of the family as my side all live near by. Plus her family live on the north of the island which is pretty flat, so no problems with hills. I was talking more to my dad and said with the extra money i'll have i could always hire a bigger car every now and then if i was missing the power. Also my mate owns a Honda Integra Type R(dc5) and i can drive that as often as i want. The car is in such great condtion it'd be a shame to miss out on such a bargin. We'll just have to wait and see if i get in now(im keeping my fingers crossed). I'll keep you guys informed on my progress. Thanks once again for all your help, its really put my mind at rest. Cheers Chris.

I had a T2 1.0 Yaris up until November.

Upgraded to a Vauxhall vectra 2.5 V6.

Part of me (mostly my wallet), still regrets moving up, as the Yaris did really suit my needs, apart from the fact it was only a 3 door.

Personally i'd go for a 1.3. When carrying people the 1.0 doesn't always cut the mustard. It's not gonna be that much extra either.

Hey there guys. It looks like im gonna be getting the car. Im so excited. It used to be an ex-mobility car so theres no tax on it at the moment. That means im gonna have to wait til the insurance company send me out my insurance policy before i get to drive it. The next few days are gonna drag now! Still, i can't wait to be the cars next proud owner and also become a proper part of the Yaris clan. Thanks once again for all your help and i'll post some pictures of it once i wash and polish it. Cheers Chris.

I went for the Diesel (D4D) which i have to say is fun to drive, economical (i'm getting 62.7mpg at the moment) and at £35 for the road fund for 12 months do I need to say more.... it is the most expensive though!

Wife has a T reg 1999 from new. My mate who knows about these things said a Yaris, high residuals. One test drive and she brought there and then. Won car of the year, now has 72k and only changed the oil/filters/plugs/wipers/battery and tyres and pads. Very good runner. No oil leaks, great build quality. Been to Guernsey as well so should suit an island life.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links