Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Identify Engine Type

Berti

Still trying to wade through the substantial Manual, after just 4 days from taking delivery of my Avensis, I am trying to identify the type of engine oil to use for topping up as I suspect a new engine might burn a bit until bedded in.

Problem is that page 374 of the manual is a bit of mystery as it relates engine oil types to engines which are identified BY SUCH THINGS AS ...... 1AD-FTV, 2AD-FTV, & 2AD-FHV.

Now I have a new 2.0 D-4D which I can't tie up with any of these, not to mention that there appears to be a 1AD-FTV with DPF Catalytic Converter. The manual says to use ACEA B1 Oil for 1AD-FTV Engine EXCEPT for the 1AD-FTV with DPF Cat which must have ACEA C2 Oil ............ but then it goes on to say that if you can't get ACEA C2 Oil then use ACEA B1 oil!!!

I'm confused!!!!!

Does anyone know if there is somewhere on the car where it actually states what engine type it is, please?

Have a look on the VIN plate or on the engine block itself for the

engine code.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Did you manage to sort it out as I earlier today posted the same request as I am totally confused.

Hi

Did you manage to sort it out as I earlier today posted the same request as I am totally confused.

NO - I'm afraid not - like you I'm still totally confused.

As my concern was about engine oil type to use for top up I emailed my Dealer with my enquiry. The dealer did not attempt to get involved with explaining the confused manual content on the matter - just simply told me ..................................... I quote [actually I copy and paste the emailed response] as follows:-

"The engine oil we use here is Castrol GTX Magnatec Semi-Synthetic 5w-30. Basically, the brand doesn't matter too much, just as long as you use Semi-Synthetic and that it's the 5w30 variety you will be fine. I hope this answers the question."

Similarly ........... I hope this helps!

Cheers

Bertie

Hi

Just a thought why do you need to top up oil after just 4 days is it leaking ???

Hi im a toyota technician and this is what toyota says about oil in 1AD-FTV engine it must be ACEA C2 or C3 classified otherwise you can damage the DPF filter. At our workshop we use Castrol SLX C3 0W-30 for those engines.

According to a post on Toyota Nation, the engine types are as follows:-

* 1AD-FTV — 2.0 D-4D (126hp/221Lb-ft) with 6 speed manual transmission.

* 2AD-FHV — 2.2 D-CAT (177hp/295Lb-ft) with 6 speed manual transmission.

but no mention of 2AD-FTV

However, the engine types seem to be listed in the brochures.

I see from an Avensis brochure that Google finds if you search for 2AD-FTV that it was another 2.2 Diesel but producing 148bhp

HTH

No I don't have a leak, I am just making sure that I know what I need to top it up with when the time comes.

I am still not sure if I have a DPF Cat, they give a diagram in the manual, but its not very clear.

Also if I have DPF Cat, the manual advises SAE 5W-30 oil, there is no mention of 0W-30 for those engines.

I used to be quite good at maintenance and general repairs on a car, once I even replaced an engine in a VW Beetle. Now I am almost scared to breath on them, technology!! ok for the dealers(lots of bucks).

Now I have a new 2.0 D-4D which I can't tie up with any of these, not to mention that there appears to be a 1AD-FTV with DPF Catalytic Converter. The manual says to use ACEA B1 Oil for 1AD-FTV Engine EXCEPT for the 1AD-FTV with DPF Cat which must have ACEA C2 Oil ............ but then it goes on to say that if you can't get ACEA C2 Oil then use ACEA B1 oil!!!

Does anyone know if there is somewhere on the car where it actually states what engine type it is, please?

If you have a 2007 2.0 D-4D, the engine type IS undoubtedly the 1AD-FTV. (if own a 1AD-FTV with DPF). :thumbsup:

The easiest way to identify if you Avensis has the DPF, is to check if there is a "Differential Pressure Sensor" at the top of the engine compartment (close to the windshield). It is a square'ish device, about 1.5 inches on each side, having two hoses coming from the DPF. (The DPF is below the turbo, and not easy to see). The differential pressure sensor measures the restriction of the DPF, and controls regeneration. :yes:

Regards, Thomas

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this issue still seems to be ongoing. I've got a 2007 2.0 diesel, 1AD-FTV. I decided to play safe and buy ACEA C2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - £40 for 5L at halfords). When I went to my Toyota dealer (large, well establshed, Berkshire) to buy the oil filter, I asked if they could tell me whether my car has a DPF or not. There was a young guy and an older guy who has worked there for years. The young guy didn't recognise the term DPF, but when I said it stood for 'diesel particulate filter', the older guy piped up and said 'oh, you mean DNPR'. They went away and checked on the system and said that my car doesn't have DNPR. But DNPR is different from DPF, isn't it?

I then talked about the whole ACEA C2 issue, and they said they always use their bog-standard (non-C2) 5w-30 semi-synth for all the Avensis engines. They were totally unaware of this whole "C2 if you have DPF" advice from the manual. How can they not have come across this issue before?

So either none of the UK 1AD-FTV engines have DPFs, or they do but some Toyota dealers are using the wrong oil for these engines.

I still have no idea whether my car has a DPF or not. (I see something that might be the Differential Pressure sensor' mentioned by Thomas, but I'm not sure)

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this issue still seems to be ongoing. I've got a 2007 2.0 diesel, 1AD-FTV. I decided to play safe and buy ACEA C2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - £40 for 5L at halfords). When I went to my Toyota dealer (large, well establshed, Berkshire) to buy the oil filter, I asked if they could tell me whether my car has a DPF or not. There was a young guy and an older guy who has worked there for years. The young guy didn't recognise the term DPF, but when I said it stood for 'diesel particulate filter', the older guy piped up and said 'oh, you mean DNPR'. They went away and checked on the system and said that my car doesn't have DNPR. But DNPR is different from DPF, isn't it?

I then talked about the whole ACEA C2 issue, and they said they always use their bog-standard (non-C2) 5w-30 semi-synth for all the Avensis engines. They were totally unaware of this whole "C2 if you have DPF" advice from the manual. How can they not have come across this issue before?

So either none of the UK 1AD-FTV engines have DPFs, or they do but some Toyota dealers are using the wrong oil for these engines.

I still have no idea whether my car has a DPF or not. (I see something that might be the Differential Pressure sensor' mentioned by Thomas, but I'm not sure)

Andy some one might correct me but im sure the DNPR is only on the 2.2 177bhp engine. I remember having a head ache working out what oil I needed for mine. I have the 2.2 177bhp.

Bit worrying about the dealer not being clued up on the oils. I'm in berks too if you dont mind can you pm the name of the dealer just so I can keep an eye out if I have to use them? As i'll be booking my motor in for a services soon as by the time ive got christmas out of the way it will be due one.

Cheers Simon

Andy some one might correct me but im sure the DNPR is only on the 2.2 177bhp engine. I remember having a head ache working out what oil I needed for mine. I have the 2.2 177bhp.

Bit worrying about the dealer not being clued up on the oils. I'm in berks too if you dont mind can you pm the name of the dealer just so I can keep an eye out if I have to use them? As i'll be booking my motor in for a services soon as by the time ive got christmas out of the way it will be due one.

Cheers Simon

DNPR is Toyotas and DPF is something that Germas use. They are the same thing, except Toyota monitors the functionality of the filter.

T27 avensis generation has DNPR's on 2.0 diesel.

DNPR is Toyotas and DPF is something that Germas use. They are the same thing, except Toyota monitors the functionality of the filter.

T27 avensis generation has DNPR's on 2.0 diesel.

Mine is a 2007 T25, and the user manual definitely refers to DPF, not DNPR. So DPF is definitely a term that Toyota uses (or has used in the past).