Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Multi-mode

Phil0600

I have had the Auris for 2 years (almost) and happy to say that my financing option allows me to return it.

Several weeks ago i was in heavy traffic and the car simply stalled. We had to let it cool off for about 1 hour before we could continue on our way. We brought it to a local Toyota dealer who first of all literally said he did not know what the error message meant (!!!) and then finally after having it there for an entire day, said he couldn't find anything in the gearbox so put some grease on it "and it will probably not happen again"...Yeah, right...

Then last week i was bringing the car from the Netherlands to Spain and encountered heavy traffic in Paris. After 2 hours of slow moving traffic, the car decided to stall again and we had to get picked up by the local french road support. We ended up flying back to Spain and now i have to go back to Paris to collect this car (as Toyota is refusing to deliver it to Spain), probably after the local Toyota dealer will also just put some grease on it, as no one knows how to properly solve it...

Hopefully i will be back in time to return it to Toyota and never again buy one.

Anyone with similar problems?

PS I read some comments that "driving style" might cause problems. As this only seems to happen when in heavy traffic, and thus in the lowest gears, i do not see how my driving style might impact this. Also note, that i am never in E when driving in heavy traffic. I am always using the gear tabs to change.

• 6 months later...

Hi I have a brand new Auris MM 1.6 petrol september 2009 I have had problems with the auto gear change from new, my dealer now thinks that the internal hydrolic clutch needs bleeding. I have had louds noises, it hesitates, changes gear or hunts for the right gear one experiance left me with wiplash I thought that I had been hit from behind the car was just two day old. I am so disapointed with the car that I am considering legal action.

I am giving them one last chance to repair the car.

Their own Auris is presenting them with the same problems and they have not been able to resolve the issues, I am wondering why Toyota have not issued a recall on this model

If any one has any advice as I am considering challanging toyota through the trades discrption act for failing to supply a car of merchantable quality.

I have had run a few MMT Auris and never had a problem with the gearboxes, the paddle shift is brilliant, BUT there is a required driving style change you have to get used to, lifting slightly off the throttle before changing gear works a treat with the paddle shift, very smooth and not at all jerky

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi I have a brand new Auris MM 1.6 petrol september 2009 I have had problems with the auto gear change from new, my dealer now thinks that the internal hydrolic clutch needs bleeding. I have had louds noises, it hesitates, changes gear or hunts for the right gear one experiance left me with wiplash I thought that I had been hit from behind the car was just two day old. I am so disapointed with the car that I am considering legal action.

Their own Auris is presenting them with the same problems and they have not been able to resolve the issues, I am wondering why Toyota have not issued a recall on this model

If any one has any advice as I am considering challanging toyota through the trades discrption act for failing to supply a car of merchantable quality.

Hi, I to purchased a new Auris 1.6 petrol mmt in September an am extremely frustrated by it. I can drive it in both E and manual modes but as my partner has only an automatic licence, she has to use E.

We were sold the car as an automatic and also were assured it had brake assistance on hills. It has neither.

The gearbox is the worst we have both encountered in 30+ years of driving a variety of cars.

The Economy mode gear change is abrupt and jerky. The car selects 1st gear when the speed is slowed to 20-25mph and drops from 3 to 1 on slowing to turn left and right and approaching junctions and roundabouts. On overtaking, the car selects 5th or 6th gear resulting in loss of power during the overtaking manouvre which I suggest is dangerous and has made me very cautious when overtaking.

I have twice so far had the car in the local dealers. On the 1st occasion I was advised they reset the ECU, the 2nd, last saturday they reset the management system, which I'm advised teaches the computer system how to react to your driving style.

Motorway/dual carriageway journeys are fine, but town travel is awful. Before buying I test drove a 1 year old Auris around town and that was a far smoother automatic gear change.

Today I contacted Consumer Direct/Trading Standards who advised me I have a case under The Sale of Goods act as the car is not as described by the salesman. They suggest you write to Toyota head office, send the letter recorded delivery and in your letter give them 7 days to respond.

On looking up mmt gearbox problems on the site, it appears it is not just the Auris that has a problem. I would never buy one of these again.

Prentonian

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I to purchased a new Auris 1.6 petrol mmt in September an am extremely frustrated by it. I can drive it in both E and manual modes but as my partner has only an automatic licence, she has to use E.

We were sold the car as an automatic and also were assured it had brake assistance on hills. It has neither.

The gearbox is the worst we have both encountered in 30+ years of driving a variety of cars.

The Economy mode gear change is abrupt and jerky. The car selects 1st gear when the speed is slowed to 20-25mph and drops from 3 to 1 on slowing to turn left and right and approaching junctions and roundabouts. On overtaking, the car selects 5th or 6th gear resulting in loss of power during the overtaking manouvre which I suggest is dangerous and has made me very cautious when overtaking.

I have twice so far had the car in the local dealers. On the 1st occasion I was advised they reset the ECU, the 2nd, last saturday they reset the management system, which I'm advised teaches the computer system how to react to your driving style.

Motorway/dual carriageway journeys are fine, but town travel is awful. Before buying I test drove a 1 year old Auris around town and that was a far smoother automatic gear change.

Today I contacted Consumer Direct/Trading Standards who advised me I have a case under The Sale of Goods act as the car is not as described by the salesman. They suggest you write to Toyota head office, send the letter recorded delivery and in your letter give them 7 days to respond.

On looking up mmt gearbox problems on the site, it appears it is not just the Auris that has a problem. I would never buy one of these again.

Prentonian

Well Mr. Prentonian, if your complain is the selection of higher gears in the E mode, the why don't you put it in Es and give it a try ??

In Es mode, if you are gentle enough, it will upshift at 2800-3200 rpm which is very reasonable. In case you were hard on the pedal and the car sensed that and decided to rev higher than 3000 , you could simply UPshift with the pedal behind the steering wheel. B)

I have had the 1.6 Auris (we call it Corolla here) MMT since July 2008 and I enjoy driving it. Just take into consideration that it is an automated manual not an automatic with a torque converter. :)

One final (yet very important) point , LIFT your foot off the accelerator pedal during the shift to make things smoother; and also doing this in Es mode makes the car understand that you want to shift ( I usally do this at 3000 rpm) but this will not work in case of hard acceleration as the car will hold the gear (like it's waiting for you to continue the acceleration and to generate engine brake in case your are about to brake ) but like I pointed before it can be overriden with the pedals :thumbsup:

I hope this was helpful

Chadi