Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will It Get Me Fit?

Jimlad

I used to get a numb willie as well! That's far more worrying than a sore bum, especially when you get pins and needles once the blood starts to flow again :unsure:

That's quite a common ailment for the cycling community. There have been a number of advances in technology to combat this though. Ergonomically designed saddles are available that prevent this happening.

Biking is great fun, think of it as a health saving bank, putting a little in every day!! This cycling is also lowering your carbon footprint and I know you are concerned about all those greenhouse gasses you have personally contributed to global warning.

Ezy Fire or quick fire gears are much better than those twisty things, and always carry a spare tube, then if you get a puncture simply swap the tube and repair the puncture later. You will get fitter and it wont be long till you are going the long way home. Padded shorts are a must, as is having the seat at the right angle and height, get your mate to help you properly adjust the seat. Carry fruit as you will get hungy so having fruit to snack on is a good idea. I would reccomend a good cross tyre specialized do one with puncture protection, and they look good enough. It seriously makes the whole cycling on roads much better. Tyre pressure is also crucial, I am a heavy bloke and have me MTB tyres set at 60 psi (my road bike skinnies are set at 100 psi lol) You can also get a sprung seat post if you really need it but your physical parts will get used to it.

My work is really supportive and has an internal bike rack, and shower facilities, and will give you a loan to buy a bike :thumbsup:

Peebles is just up from you and the mountain bike course there is simply fantastic. When you are ready for a TOC mountain bike day, or simply want to try the course at Glenntress let me know, I will be happy to come down there and do it with you. Give me a few weeks to let my son's collar bone heal (which he did break but not on the bike) and we will be back down there for some mountain biking. Anyone else interested? Check the forestry commission web site for info on Glenntress.

In the mean time keep it up Jim

Give me a few weeks to let my son's collar bone heal (which he did break but not on the bike)

I broke mine while out on the bike ! :crybaby:

I must say, I am enjoying it.

What I have found that compared with the first day I cycled home, it takes me alot less time to recover. I'm still <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed etc, but the first day I was nearly dead! lol.

Now I'm noticing that after a few mins sit down I'm more or less back to normal. :D

The temptation to use the car will be there though once it's all sorted!! Saying that... not using the car during the week will just make me appreciate it even more! :D

Great stuff Jim, you into a visit to peebles on the bikes then?

Ouch Boro, me son is in a whole barra load of pain. If yours is current I hope it heals well :thumbsup:

fixed my bike today and its ready to rock and roll on monday.

Could do with getting some road tyres though. might have a look in a wilkos if they do tyres lol

Ouch Boro, me son is in a whole barra load of pain. If yours is current I hope it heals well :thumbsup:

Nah, it's an old injury. Did it about 7 years ago. It's fine now, but with a lump where the bones don't line up anymore . :unsure:

Good Crash though........spinning out down a hillside track when it all went wrong ! :crybaby:

Great stuff Jim, you into a visit to peebles on the bikes then?

Jim on the Peebles road = Death!!

Suppose its not as bad as the Jedburgh road tho.

Jim on the Peebles road = Death!!

Suppose its not as bad as the Jedburgh road tho.

Now Jappy thats not kind. No I think we will get him there on a bike carrier and then watch him end it all in the Spooky wood.

Folowing extract section from the forestry commission web side promoting the 7 stanes prjojects of which Glenntress is one.

Spooky Wood

This is a stunning 1.5km-long singletrack descent. It starts with three steep, rocky drop-offs and then flows and flows, thanks to its twelve 180-degree bermed bends, 18 jumps and 17 tabletops. At the end of the trail, there’s just time to gather breath crossing the forest road before you enter the Super G, where more singletrack leads to.....

Sound good to anyone?