Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Drivers Door Lock

jimbob5799

Hi all

I have aproblem with my drivers door lock when you insert the key and lock the doors it works fine but you are unable to unlock the doors the key only turns part of the way. The only way to get into the car is to unlock the passenger door and climb in and open the drivers door. The operation is the same with the remote central locking. I checked the barrel where the key goes in but it is fine Can anyone tell me which part i need to replace ? Is it the door lock mechanism ?

Many Thanks James

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I have aproblem with my drivers door lock when you insert the key and lock the doors it works fine but you are unable to unlock the doors the key only turns part of the way. The only way to get into the car is to unlock the passenger door and climb in and open the drivers door. The operation is the same with the remote central locking. I checked the barrel where the key goes in but it is fine Can anyone tell me which part i need to replace ? Is it the door lock mechanism ?

Many Thanks James

Hi, sorry I'm no mechanic, but I have same issue. I used Haynes manual to strip it etc, and it was too hard for me to reach properly. A part inside I could see was sticking, and was also loose. Not being funny, but I can get round it simply by lifting handle first which seems to allow the part to drop, and then key turns to open.......Now I dont have to climb inside passenger door....Oh, I mean when it wont turn to open, I take key out, lift and drop handle few times, put key back in and it instantly turns to open.....EDIT....it always works first time locking like yours....

• 4 months later...
Hi all

Many Thanks James

Hi, sorry I'm no mechanic, but I have same issue. I used Haynes manual to strip it etc, and it was too hard for me to reach properly. A part inside I could see was sticking, and was also loose. Not being funny, but I can get round it simply by lifting handle first which seems to allow the part to drop, and then key turns to open.......Now I dont have to climb inside passenger door....Oh, I mean when it wont turn to open, I take key out, lift and drop handle few times, put key back in and it instantly turns to open.....EDIT....it always works first time locking like yours....

Great advice 49greenie, I have a 95 Carina E and had same problem, I read your comments and took off door panel and sure enough, saw the spring at the bottom of the door with one end of it broken after 12 years of opening and closing, Car parts shops did not have a replacement spring so I got one from engineering firm in ind. estate locally.

Lock is a bit fiddly to get out with the linkages etc, but took only 2 hours to remove panel and lock and refit, delighted with the result and the saving of much money if the dealer got it.

The window winder handle was abit of a mystery to remove until i saw another forum on the web, there is a wire circlip between the window winder and the round plastic washer, a slim flathead screwdriver will get in and pop the clip out.

This is a great car and has never left me on the road in 12 years, (After owning terrible VW and Renault cars) I plan to keep it and maintain it as long as I can.

• 4 years later...
Hi all

Many Thanks James

Great advice 49greenie, I have a 95 Carina E and had same problem, I read your comments and took off door panel and sure enough, saw the spring at the bottom of the door with one end of it broken after 12 years of opening and closing, Car parts shops did not have a replacement spring so I got one from engineering firm in ind. estate locally.

Lock is a bit fiddly to get out with the linkages etc, but took only 2 hours to remove panel and lock and refit, delighted with the result and the saving of much money if the dealer got it.

The window winder handle was abit of a mystery to remove until i saw another forum on the web, there is a wire circlip between the window winder and the round plastic washer, a slim flathead screwdriver will get in and pop the clip out.

This is a great car and has never left me on the road in 12 years, (After owning terrible VW and Renault cars) I plan to keep it and maintain it as long as I can.

Hi have the same problem , found spring at the bottom of door , have a replacement but not sure where it goes !

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links