Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3sgte Engine Swap

bothwell_buyer

Just a wee update for some of you guys out there who have shown interest in my latest project.

The 1994 RAV4 which I have had from new is now away to have its 2nd engine (3SFE) pulled out and an attempt at shoe-horning a 3SGTE turbo engine from a donor MR2 (sorry to the MR2 fans but this one was an insurance write-off although there may be bits from it left as it will be a rolling chassis with front end damage!).

I've agreed with Marc of The Garage in Wishaw that we do the engine swap; uprate the rear springs (adjustable shocks have already been installed); install a rollcage which will allow a surer mounting for the harnesses (Cobras already installed); Marc will fit the KAD front discs and calipers (6 pot) so the beast will stop; fitting 18" alloys to accommodate the calipers; and consequently a new exhaust and inlet system. A few other wee dials to allow me to avoid too much damage. Marc advised that the sump is baffled to avoid oil starvation when climbing Ben Nevis.

I already stripped out the interior and fitted new carpet, removing the rear seats as the weens have their own cars now! Dunno how the weight distribution will turn out as the front full bull bar has 6 Cibies hung.

We think the oil cooling will be ok although I still have to discuss the air intake position depending on whether Scotland is going to enjoy the global warming = dry weather!!

Externally apart from the obvious Cibies, nothing else has been changed. The new alloys will change the look a bit more. The original silver paint is still original and in not too bad a condition despite its miles (now 166,000).

We'll use the MR2 clutch and just see how the rest of the drive line copes.

Sorry I've not been posting much in the last few days but Virgin Media (Telewest Cable) have problems trying to provide me with the 20mb service I pay for. After 4 months, and quite a few connection problems the letter went off to Sir Richard yesterday as they don't appear to understand emails, phone calls and the engineer who arrived came from a different planet. Sounds like a Toyo dealer!

I'll post pictures and/or upload to one of my websites when I get the pics from Marc.

Ian

we need pics !!

sounds like an awsome project, something i looked at for a while TBH.

is it a fairly straight forward conversion?

we need pics !!

sounds like an awsome project, something i looked at for a while TBH.

is it a fairly straight forward conversion?

The block is pretty similar but then its the space needed to squeeze in the turbo stuff etc. Work has just started in respect of stripping out the donor MR2 and the engine comes out of the RAV later this week. However our measurements suggest the probabilities so we're on our way! I'm setting up a separate website for the photos and will post this here.

• 1 month later...

An update - well the RAV4 1994 is looking a bit forlorn with its 3SFE engine out. This week should see the revised engine mount arriving and a try at fitting in the 3SGTE engine. Main difference of course is the 3SFE is a single cam where the turbo engine is twin cam. However, we got info thats its been done in USA before. All looks good for a reasonable fit, altho the exhaust will be changed out. We think the inlet might need adjusted but we'll know soon enough!

The harness work has been completed.

And the new front brakes from KAD have arrived. Will post photo shortly. New 28mm discs and 6 pot calipers will replace the well worn original equipment; and this lot will be embraced with 18" alloys as the 16" ones will meet up with the calipers!

The initial match with the gearbox doesn't present any surprises... now planning the next phase for the rollover cage; new suspension bushes; and a definite is to stiffen the rear springs!

Since my last post, my internet connection has been c**p and problems with the home network and router led to me being somewhat quiet. Things on that front are back to normal...as is the weather here in Glasgow at this time of year - warm and wet!

Ian

• 4 months later...

Ian, have you got any photos of the 3S-GTE engine fitted in the RAV4 bay ? would be great to see a few .......please :)

Sorry I've not been posting much in the last few days but Virgin Media (Telewest Cable) have problems trying to provide me with the 20mb service I pay for. After 4 months, and quite a few connection problems the letter went off to Sir Richard yesterday as they don't appear to understand emails, phone calls and the engineer who arrived came from a different planet. Sounds like a Toyo dealer!

I have the same problem with Virgin, and did the same as you, they changed the modem over and did a few tweaks at the box in the street but it is still at least 20% down (and more sometimes) from the published speed. I understand issues of published speeds on the old copper wire phone lines, but we are talking cable here and you should be able to get the published speeds.

Anyway, rant over, back on topic, your project sounds fantastic Bothy, would like to see that if your ever coming to the Wirral again

Kingo :thumbsup:

PS, Oi, I saw that comment about Toyo dealers! :eek:

Ian, have you got any photos of the 3S-GTE engine fitted in the RAV4 bay ? would be great to see a few .......please :)

will do. I take some and post them onto my site (non-commercial) when I get the car back. I have a few photos of the car up on ramps and of the brakes. The engine compartment is remarkable neat, due to some innovations that dennis the mechanic introduced. As soon as I get my website sorted (hopefully in a couple of days) then I'll let you know.

Today, I am playing at fixing caravans. Thankfully the chassis is great on it but the offside has parted company with the floor!! Keeps me aff the whisky dunnit!

I have the same problem with Virgin, and did the same as you, they changed the modem over and did a few tweaks at the box in the street but it is still at least 20% down (and more sometimes) from the published speed. I understand issues of published speeds on the old copper wire phone lines, but we are talking cable here and you should be able to get the published speeds.

Anyway, rant over, back on topic, your project sounds fantastic Bothy, would like to see that if your ever coming to the Wirral again

PS, Oi, I saw that comment about Toyo dealers! :eek:

OOOOps. I meant to say a particular Scottish ex-Toyo dealer but I can't name em fur fear of being struck aff/down! B)

Re the Virgin Media that richard cannae sell, they creditted me wi some money; I switched to their Business Tariff at 10Mb and I get 10Mb all the time now. At least its consistent. However Virgin continued to bill me for both Business Broadband and Residential Broadband cos the 2 of them don't speak to each other. :( :( After 3 months of this I think we have it sorted and the bill has come in today so I should have a credit on it - frightened to open it case I have to start phoning them again. The advantage with the Business tariff is that the faults service is based somewhere in England, so its not so far to travel for the engineer than India.

I could write a book on the problems of Virgin Media :eek:

Broadband and TV dont talk to each other, I changed tariffs and took TV, they then cut me off because they hadnt had payment, I said I have a direct debit with you, they said, no you havnt, to which I replied "How the **** have I been paying you for the last seven years then?" They couldnt understand basic maths and felt the need for two direct debits, I got some money back but it was a hassle

Anyway, ranting again, hope to see the website when your up and running

latest - got the car back again. Various small bits sorted/tweaked and the rear suspension beefed up a bit with a few tricks.

Passed the MOT as well - the car; no me!!

Marc & Dennis tweaked the boost to 0.7 altho they reckon it can go up to 1.2bar (= an extra 60bhp-ish). We'll slowly increase to see/feel the reaction on the drivetrain. Its got a new strong clutch and we've sorted the problem with the rocking diff mount - novel solution actually! Same with beefing up the rear springs to help stop the rear end bottoming on accelaration.

I only picked it up last night so will go out today for a short run. As it was fast before, I'm looking forward to trying it out again!

I'll get some more pics today if it stops raining and load the pics up.

The rollcage is about the next to be done but that will need to wait until after Christmas.

Must buy a stop watch to get the acceleration times.....

(Translated by Mrs Bothy)

latest - got the car back again. Various small bits sorted/tweaked and the rear suspension beefed up a bit with a few tricks.

Passed the MOT as well - the car; no me!!

Marc & Dennis tweaked the boost to 0.7 altho they reckon it can go up to 1.2bar (= an extra 60bhp-ish). We'll slowly increase to see/feel the reaction on the drivetrain. Its got a new strong clutch and we've sorted the problem with the rocking diff mount - novel solution actually! Same with beefing up the rear springs to help stop the rear end bottoming on accelaration.

I only picked it up last night so will go out today for a short run. As it was fast before, I'm looking forward to trying it out again!

I'll get some more pics today if it stops raining and load the pics up.

The rollcage is about the next to be done but that will need to wait until after Christmas.

Must buy a stop watch to get the acceleration times.....

(Translated by Mrs Bothy)

Good job Bothy....love to actually see the RAV Turbo Beast......

This sounds really interesting would love to see some pictures of this ;)

jerry!!

This sounds really interesting would love to see some pictures of this ;)

jerry!!

Dear super mud-reator

I have quite a number of photos and intend loading them up on www.silverwells.com which is one of my non-profit making sites. I'm running behind in doing this cos my dog died on 22/10/07 then my mother on 22/11/07; then had my 5th wedding anniversary on 30/11/07 which was also my birthday but has been postponed for obvious reasons; and since then I've been trying to arrange loads of paperwork relating to mothers pensions etc whuilst looking aifter ma faither whits still driving a\t the age of almost 89 and listening tae his needs.

My 1st wife died oan 7/11/2001 and for some reason I'm getting a massive amount of flashbacks and nightmares so my stamina/concentration has been hit. However the RAV conversion keeps me going and I'd love to take up hill climb type stuff...and if you didn't pick up elsewhere, I out-accelarated an Audi 6 (or the one that has single neon lights in a crescent shape at the front) - and that was before this week when the guys have completed the first check after all the work was done. I have a month to give it a thrashing to see if theres any weak points before turning up the boost!

Thanks v much for your interest - as far as I know theres 1 of these in Australia; 1 in NZ; 1 in Russia and 1 in Canada/USA. Another guy in Australia I think had one but reverted to a 3SFE cos he didn't like the increased service. Me? Roll on. If I can out accelarate some of the numpties who play at cars then great. I love my RAV as my 2nd wife will tell you, she comes 2nd or even 3rd after rugby....!!

• 8 years later...

I have a 2000 rav4 with a 3s-gte methanol injected powered by a fuel tech ft500. She goes o to 100 klph in  4 seconds but she can't take 3rd 4th or 5th because it has the original exhaust minus the cat. Tomorrow I put 3 inch pipes so I can push the full 19lbs of turbo. I will let you know. My mechanic is Caldera racing on face book and my tuner is aerea54. Faster than a wrx.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links