Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Vvti

Jp-Auris

Can anyone tell me does the auris like have a certain rev for it to have a boost of power (Maybe because its a 1.4) but im changing gear 1 to gear 2 at like 3000 and sometimes i struggle to go up a hill at gear 2.... and it feels slow on straights..maybe the engines not ran in yet iv done 200miles but 1.4 has 96bhp?... .... it doesnt feel it please someone explain!!

Can anyone tell me does the auris like have a certain rev for it to have a boost of power (Maybe because its a 1.4) but im changing gear 1 to gear 2 at like 3000 and sometimes i struggle to go up a hill at gear 2.... and it feels slow on straights..maybe the engines not ran in yet iv done 200miles but 1.4 has 96bhp?... .... it doesnt feel it please someone explain!!

I believe it is the same engine as on my corolla 1.4 and no there is not a boost/step up in performace (as there is in Honda's VTEC engine) - I am shortly getting an AURIS 1.6 and that does feel a bit perkier

Toyota petrol engines like to be revved and they will work more effectively up the rev range. I know what you mean as your trying to run in the engine it is difficult uphill at under 3krpm.

I would however strongly suggest you dont do this. Laboring the engine like this will cause more damage due to the sheer stress of trying to lug such a heavy weight up hill in comparison to higher rev's when the engine is ticking over freely.

Its not necessarily the engine that needs running in, infact engines are taken up to high RPM's before they are placed into the car during the build process. Its the drift shaft, clucth, flywheel, brakes and lubrication that needs to take place at all engine speeds. For a new car I would recommend not redlining the engine and attempting to keep between 3 and 5krpm for the first 600miles. Then occasionally push up to 6k up to 1200miles, after that hit the red-line occasionally for a few hundred miles. Then if your conformable doing so drive positively up to the red line through the gears occasionally to end the bedding in process then drive normally again.

Dont labour the engine

Dont be scared to gradually increase the revs

Dont baby the engine

Change gear positively

Use gradual acceleration for the first 600 miles up to 5k

Never travel at the same speed, always try and vary the engine speed

Dont idle the car for more than 2minutes, even in traffic jams

Dont brake hard within the first 200 miles to stop the pads glazing over

Dont red line until after 1000 miles and even then do this occasionally for a few hundred miles first and use positive gear change, dont hold onto the red line

Once giving the engine a taste of all conditions, dont be afraid to drive positvely throughout the gears up to red line if possible.

Oh and avoid hard acceleration for the first 600 odd miles

So in your situation if your changing up at 3krpm uphill you sound like your trying to run your engine in. Take it up to 5krpm gradually and use a positive gear change you will put less stress on the engine and clutch.

P.s.

Its fairly easy to know how to treat a new engine, the 1.4's max power is delivered at 6k rpm, it is always a good rule to use around 3/4 of this power in the first 600 miles staying between a theoretical half power 3k and 5k when you need it. The max torque is 4.4krpm and this increases at the wheels as you hit max power.

Thanks oldsko01

But basicaly your saying that keeping low revs is not ideal and can be worse than redlining..(by saying redline you do mean max rev?) and that i should use different speeds various times when driving..?..

well anyway you actaully said everything i needed to know thanks :thumbsup:

hey

Has anyone fitted on a universal backbox onto the Auris?... if anyone has please let me know and some pics would be good :thumbsup:

Thanks

hey

Has anyone fitted on a universal backbox onto the Auris?... if anyone has please let me know and some pics would be good :thumbsup:

Thanks

Yes low rev's when going uphill for example is more of a problem than revving higher. The toyota engines or any engines for that matter are meant to be revved but you shouldn't ever make a car struggle regardless of whether it has done 10 miles of 100,000 miles.

Imagine you are dragging a heavy lead weight on wheels uphill with a rope. The energy required to get the weight moving is huge and will sap your energy and wear you out a lot! Then once you have a momentum going, it is much easier; the same applies to a car.

Redlining is basically running your engine up to max revs which is really not a good idea either until it has done 1000miles and all components not just the engine have bedded in and have full lubrication. Dont be scared to take your car up to 3/4 of its max bhp at 5krpm. Dont ram your foot down take it up gradually and engage the next gear quickly but not forcefully, then in town say only take it up to 3krpm. This will give your engine a great taste of whats to come and allows it to lubricate and bed in at different engine speeds.

At the same time down ram your foot down to get up to 5krpm, do it with a gradual press, ramming your foot down can cause un-even wear as the iron filling detach from the components.

Having said all this, dont worry too much the tolerances are very high these days, all that is required is to not drive like a mad man or continuously redline and by all means dont labour or ask too much of the engine and you'll have a motor that is capable of 200,000 miles :thumbsup:

Thanks again oldsko01

Just wondering i have been washing my car and i noticed when i was jabbing the accelerator that the air box was much louder than the exhaust....so i went and looked at the exhaust and i seen that the exhaust back box was a really decent size..no need for a new back box but that only problem is that the outtake...(i think its called outtake..on the exhuast where the air comes out) is really small....thats way im not hearing anything...does anyone think its possible to myabe weld and bigger new tail pipe onto the original auris exhaust?...

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links