Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Diesel Fault Code P1251

antony.m

hi all, had problem , revs cut right back to safe mode + malfunction light came on , stopped engine and restarted now reving o.k. got rac out to check it , he said its now o.k. turned light out and fault code p1251 was registered. had no problem since, got mr t to check it to be on safe side , he recons p1251 refers to the turbo on its way out , has anybody any info or had similar experience.

• 2 months later...
hi all, had problem , revs cut right back to safe mode + malfunction light came on , stopped engine and restarted now reving o.k. got rac out to check it , he said its now o.k. turned light out and fault code p1251 was registered. had no problem since, got mr t to check it to be on safe side , he recons p1251 refers to the turbo on its way out , has anybody any info or had similar experience.

Hi, I have had the same problem yesterday with my 2002 d4d nrg, took to Mr T today who said Turbo oculd be on the way out but they are not sure. Advised me to buy a warranty at £750. What happended with yours? Just had to buy a new clutch coz flywheel and clutch went, but Mr T would pay only for flywheel. Pretty much had enough of my Rav that I used to love, has anyone had a simliar experience.???

Sorry you have had so many problems with your RAV, tq21. It is a horrible feeling when a car you love turns bad :(

Hi all - I'm new to this site and wonder if anyone can help me. I have a Rav 4 D4D (PX03 XXB) which I bought 2yrs ago. Just before Christmas, it broke down with no warning and I was told that I needed to replace the flywheel and clutch, which turned out to be a very costly job! I've since been told that there was a fault on flywheels around this time, so I contacted my local branch and was told that as I didn't take it to them for repair that there was nothing they can do (I couldn't take it to them - it was 2 days before Christmas and I'd been towed to the closest garage as it was not drivable!!). Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so is there anything we can do?

Also, in the last couple of days its felt like my turbo isn't kicking in - a warning light comes on which according to the RAC is the engine management system. I'm booked in the garage tomorrow and praying it won't be costly - has anyone else had any problems like this?

I absolutely love my Rav and bought it with the advice that they rarely break down - I feel like my car is jinxed!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nikki :(

"so I contacted my local branch and was told that as I didn't take it to them for repair that there was nothing they can do"

I can understand your plight, and that of the dealer. The dealer only administers the Toyota warranty, he does not hold the purse strings to make payments to anyone. if you did'nt take it to him, there is nothing he can do. There was a problem with the DMF (Flywheel) and if you paid to have it replaced, maybe you could contact Toyota customer relations. They are the only people who can help you in this situation. Was the repair done at a Toyota dealer? did whoever repaired the car use genuine parts? if they did, you may get a contribution from Mr T. You can only ask the question, you may be lucky if they have all the facts.

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have had the same problem yesterday with my 2002 d4d nrg, took to Mr T today who said Turbo oculd be on the way out but they are not sure. Advised me to buy a warranty at £750. What happended with yours? Just had to buy a new clutch coz flywheel and clutch went, but Mr T would pay only for flywheel. Pretty much had enough of my Rav that I used to love, has anyone had a simliar experience.???

Hi there, new member here. Bought a 2003 D-4D Vx after a disastrous experience with a Freelander TD 4, (& that's supposed to be the reliable model!) The Rav is brilliant on the road in comparison. However, whilst towing my caravan on the M6, the engine management light lit-up & power dropped off. I got onto the hard shoulder & turned engine off, then restarted. Light stayed on, so I switched off, left it 2 minutes & tried again. This time the light was out, stayed out & hasn't come on since! That weekend, I had a new timing belt fitted, 61,000 on the clock, but strangely, there was nothing stored in the ECU at all!

Since then though, when accelerating in 2nd & 3rd gear, at around 2400 rpm, the engine seems to 'cough', before picking up & accelerating smoothly again. It's only an intermettant thing, but very, very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

the fault code p1251 refers to stp motor circuit of turbo and it is normally an intermittent fault the problem lies in turbo which is variable vane and they stick causing the vehicle to go into safe mode u will have to replace turbo as unlikely u will find any probs with circuit for fault code if cleared its likely code will return givin u same scenario hope this helps

• 6 months later...

• 5 years later...

Hi i am new to this club, had all the same problems, I found its referred many had the same problem may be more than 10 yrs, it's sad nobody could solve this, I got stuck in m6 twice in 2 months time. As the problem is new to me am afraid where to start, Toyota they always charge you more on labor and parts, local Garrages can't find the exact problem, I love my RAV4 and can't sell it as spend more than £3100 ( timing chain, fuel pump, water pumps, flywheel 3rd gear, alternator and battery). Replacing almost all components and still you got stuck on the Middle of the road. Please somebody help me.

to the original problem in this post....

i can only advise on the same experience i have had with my 4.2

i was getting intermittent hesitation above 2200 rpm when accelerating. when i really floored it i could

get the eml to come on and the engine would go into limp mode. i put a bottle of archoil6600 turbo cleaner through it

on a long journey.....cured the problem for a year. i have just done it again this month. cured my problem again.

it appears the variable vanes on the turbo getting bunged up with deposits, and as i do a lot of town driving i can believe it.

Thanks sich1,ordered one of those arch oil 6600 on eBay, will try it and let you, know. Got the problem yesterday again and took my Rav to Johnsons Toyota Liverpool, explained everything and they had a full check up (£62.50) and advised to replace with a genuine turbocharger (£1585.00) instead of a reconditioned one, no idea what to do, will try arch oil and decide

get the engine up to temp and take it on a trip of 50 miles or so. work the engine between 2-3000rpm to get the product into the variable vanes. follow the instructions on the product. good luck.

Hi - I had this code also - along with exact symptoms described. Had a service by a company called Terraclean. They have nationwide mobile technicians, so you should probably be able to find an operator local to you. He was aware of the issues regarding the turbo vanes sticking and assured me the service would clear the problem. That was 6 months ago and no further problems with this issue or fault code. If you google search you can get more information on how this process works - but from experience it has worked for me. Cant remember exact cost but was around £120.

• 2 weeks later...

as per my post

"That was 6 months ago and no further problems with this issue or fault code"

Hi sich1, appreciate your reply, I tried arch oil ar6600, it's not working for my RAV4, find the teraclean people, they will change £120, don't know it's needed in this situation, called turbo force in babber bridge Preston, they saying it's not the problem with turbo, need a detailed check as they got experience in this problem with RAV4, Johnsons Toyota Liverpool is still saying it's the problem with turbo and can be fixed with 12 months guaranty if I replace with new turbocharger ( £1580 ). Really confused and don't know what to do

bad news, well worth a try i suppose. keep us all informed, good luck.

past my knowledge now on this one,sri.

Tried Terraclean yesterday, improved engine performance, but again got the fault cod p1251.

damn, bad news. if you find a cure let us all know.....good luck