Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

chatman

Hey, eanjohn, whether or not 60mph is zooming or not depends on where you do it... It's zooming alright on a single track road, and on quite a few rural double track roads too. I am a country bumpkin born and bred and am always wary of other bumpkins, horses, tractors, sheep or cattle, walkers or cyclists in the road. But if someone behind me gets impatient, no matter how reckless they may seem, I pull over and let them pass. Does that help at all to raise me in your esteem, or - terrible thought - does it make it worse?

Of course, on the motorway (when I manage to find one) I zoom at an incredible 70mph, or, wait for it, sometimes even 80!! I may seem like a dead dull trundler but really I am a daredevil in disguise.

Spent seven years in Bucks and nowadays still drive around occasionally in the south of England visiting my husband's family or on business trips, and it is amazing how, the farther south you go, the faster everybody drives, until, around London, it's really horrible. And even at night it's like a fast moving car park.

anchorman, I applaud your conciliatory tone but you will have to think of something to keep Dutch and English, rather than Scots and English, off each other's throats...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Fujisan

• bothwell_buyer

• chatman

Does that help at all to raise me in your esteem, or - terrible thought - does it make it worse?

UUHM LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT ONE??? UUHM TRICKY QUESTION THAT???UUHM

NO I SURRENDER DON`T BASH ME :crybaby::crybaby:

the farther south you go, the faster everybody drives, until, around London, it's really horrible. And even at night it's like a fast moving car park.

C'mon NMaria!!!

I've been on the M25 loads, but I'd NEVER describe it as "fast moving" !!!

I get my best fuel economy on there at a steady 25 mph!!! :yahoo:

(did you like the seamless way I brought the thread back on topic btw!!??)

Quite beautifully done, Paul.

I suppose you're right - not much chance to zoom anywhere in the deep south; it's more a case of trundling in line. However, it is good for fuel economy. I used to think that 60-ish mph gave optimum fuel economy but when I got my first RAV with an instant fuel consumption display I found to my surprise that, say, much lower speeds are more economical, even if you have to use a lower gear. I then read on this forum (isn't it excellent?) someone's explanation that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed.

I also read an article recently in which an energy industry expert expressed his opinion that in the next 10 years oil prices will double. Perhaps then 25mph will become the norm?

Maria

PS Poor eanjohn... didn't mean to bash (I don't suppose I was being bashful? No, I thought not) - just tend to get a bit carried away! Funny thing, my husband doesn't get it either when I try to engage him in friendly banter... Too busy nursing the bruises from the previous occasion.

• 3 weeks later...

Having read reports about the superior performance and economy with the BP Ultimate, decided to try it for myself and have noticed a considerable difference - probably about 4mpg, which pays for the premium on the fuel.

While we are reviving old threads :thumbsup:

Have just fill my RAV up again after using it's second tank full of Shell V-power diesel, (1 and 3/4's tank fulls to be accurate).

I find the car is a lot quieter and a lot smoother using the Shell V-power diesel compared to ordinary supermarket diesel and most importantly I am getting an extra 4 mpg (calculated, not fuel computer) again compared to supermarket derv. :thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup:

Even with the price differential of 99.9p per litre for Shell V-power diesel v 93.9p per litre for ordinary diesel, I calculate that with my annual mileage (approx 10,000 miles), I will save money over the year because of the increased miles per gallon I am now achieving.

Has they say "Try something new today" because "Every little helps"! :thumbsup:

Happy driving :D

PS My mate who drives a VW Golf 1.9TDi is also using Shell V-power diesel now, he has also noticed that his car is running a lot smoother and he is now getting 60 mpg. Even if he clog's it he says it will not drop below 50 mpg. :thumbsup:

While we are reviving old threads :thumbsup:

Have just fill my RAV up again after using it's second tank full of Shell V-power diesel, (1 and 3/4's tank fulls to be accurate).

I find the car is a lot quieter and a lot smoother using the Shell V-power diesel compared to ordinary supermarket diesel and most importantly I am getting an extra 4 mpg (calculated, not fuel computer) again compared to supermarket derv. :thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup:

Even with the price differential of 99.9p per litre for Shell V-power diesel v 93.9p per litre for ordinary diesel, I calculate that with my annual mileage (approx 10,000 miles), I will save money over the year because of the increased miles per gallon I am now achieving.

Has they say "Try something new today" because "Ever little helps"! :thumbsup:

PS My mate who drives a VW Golf 1.9TDi is also using Shell V-power diesel now, he has also noticed that his car is running a lot smoother and he is now getting 60 mpg. Even if he clog's it he says it will not drop below 50 mpg. :thumbsup:

Just filled mine this morning...like to squeeze the best out of a tank...worked out mpg from last fill up to this one bla bla bla and getting 45mpg :D :D :D

Been using BP mostly as that's the nearest garage from home, and always seems to be the one when the RAV needs filling up...... B) B)

I think there is a common theme there Chatman.....use quality fuels.....with quality additives.......keeps your engine cleaner......helps it run more smoothly........and you get better mpg.

As easy as A... B.... C...

Only sorry I didn't realise it before......dou! :huh:

Yes you pays your price, but it certainly does make a difference to the MPG and feel of the engine. This subject has been approached many times but it is a good subject in as much as you pay your price and you get what you pay for. just in passing I wish I could get premium diesel at 99p a litre, over here it,s £1.03 a litre and no Tesco don,t sell it over here.

Clare

I wish I could get premium diesel at 99p a litre, over here it,s £1.03 a litre

Clare

Life's full of swing's and roundabout's Clare ;)

Sure that there are plenty of thing's about living on the island that you wouldn't swap for a mere 4p / litre saving on fuel. :boat:

I paid 103.9 for the last tank but I paid 109.9 at Anderton Services or whatever its called these days and there is a supplier at Chelford that charges a similar premium. There are some advantages of living in the country but getting decent fuel locally isn't one of them! I have to travel 9 miles for the nearest supplier and I haven't found a Shell garage that sells V Max.

Time these supermarkets woke up. You can get 15 types of cat food but they only stock weasel p*ss diesel.

Regards

I filled up (first fill) with Ultimate at a BP station yesterday in Chesterfield priced at 101.9/litre. The computer is reading 42mpg over the first 40 miles of mixed driving conditions.

My local Station is Total their premium brand is Excellium anyone used this?

Terry

Terry, I use Total diesel all the time over here. They are the main supplier of derv on the Island and it is quality.We also can get Shell as well but prefer Total

Clare

Been using Esso diesel for the last 9 days I have had my Rav, just topped up today, 300 miles 33Litres or 39 MPG, pretty good as I do tend to have a lead foot at times.

I filled up (first fill) with Ultimate at a BP station yesterday in Chesterfield priced at 101.9/litre. The computer is reading 42mpg over the first 40 miles of mixed driving conditions.

Terry

Yes Terry,

I filled up with it in Calais and it was even better than BP Ultra. The trouble is I have never been able to find it here. The garages show the Excellium logo but it only applies to petrol.

Take care when choosing your fuel, it only takes one gallon of supermarket weasel pee and your RAV will sound like a Transit until every last drop is purged out of the system.

Let me know where this fuel station is if they definitely stock excellium diesel.

Regards

Terry

Yes Terry,

I filled up with it in Calais and it was even better than BP Ultra. The trouble is I have never been able to find it here. The garages show the Excellium logo but it only applies to petrol.

Take care when choosing your fuel, it only takes one gallon of supermarket weasel pee and your RAV will sound like a Transit until every last drop is purged out of the system.

Let me know where this fuel station is if they definitely stock excellium diesel.

Regards

Matlock Green past the park on the right and the football ground on the left. The station is on the right just before you leave Matlock heading for Tansley.

I am fairly sure I have seen it there (Total web site says it does) will confirm when I need fuel or a pack of beer from the shop.

Terry

Terry

Yes Terry,

Regards

Matlock Green past the park on the right and the football ground on the left. The station is on the right just before you leave Matlock heading for Tansley.

I am fairly sure I have seen it there (Total web site says it does) will confirm when I need fuel or a pack of beer from the shop.

Terry

Thanks Terry.

I think I know roughly where you mean. I sometimes go to Darley Dale for bird food so not much further. I will wait for the nod from you.

Cheers

PS there seems to be a growing contingent from Derbyshire so maybe we can form a small battalion of hill dwelling RAV owners - a kind of splinter group :canadian:

Filled up and reset mpg meter on the way home last night; about 5 miles down the road it was reading 62.5.

However, most of the route from the garage was level or downhill, so it's a bit of a fix - still, it felt good! Having got home and back in work (just along from the garage) and the meter now reads a more reasonable 49.1 (after 63 miles).

Wish I'd had a camera in the car last night, though :D

• 2 weeks later...

Terry

Yes Terry,

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry.

I think I know roughly where you mean. I sometimes go to Darley Dale for bird food so not much further. I will wait for the nod from you.

Cheers

PS there seems to be a growing contingent from Derbyshire so maybe we can form a small battalion of hill dwelling RAV owners - a kind of splinter group :canadian:

anchorman

No they don't some pumps have two diesel nozzles but both are ordinary diesel. I asked and was told they stopped selling it as there was no call for it.

Enjoy your holiday in NY.

We've had V-Power Diesel (99.9p) down here for a while now and I've been exclusively feeding mine on it to see if there is any tangible difference.

Fuel consumtion is up by approx 2 mpg on average to 38mpg over mostly urban and local A Roads.

It feels pokier to me and I agree with others comments as to the extra smoothness.

Add to that the fact that it is also keeping your engine cleaner too and it's a winner in my eyes :thumbsup:

I'm half-way through my first fill of BP Ultimate diesel. So far, I might be getting 1mpg better (dash 'puter showing ~50mpg average); won't really know effect until I've had a few more fills to get a decent average. If it's to be worth the extra 7p/litre it's going to need to push the average to 51/52...

Was reading an article in Auto Express and a reader questioned how accurate their trip computer was and the answer was " not very accurate ".

The readings are based on two factors...vehicle speed as supplied by anti-locking brake sensors and the amount of fuel going into each cylinder ( that data comes from the ECU ).

Other factors to take into account are ,tyre pressures and tyre wear ( ie rolling circumference ),so the bottom line is they are a gauge but can be 10% under or over :( .

Was reading an article in Auto Express and a reader questioned how accurate their trip computer was and the answer was " not very accurate ".

The readings are based on two factors...vehicle speed as supplied by anti-locking brake sensors and the amount of fuel going into each cylinder ( that data comes from the ECU ).

Other factors to take into account are ,tyre pressures and tyre wear ( ie rolling circumference ),so the bottom line is they are a gauge but can be 10% under or over :( .

It's one of them isn't it. Do a manual calc a few times and you get a feel for how accurate your trip computer is or isn't.

Just doing manual calc's off the trip meter (which I know can be inaccurate in themselves), I reckon my trip comp is reading just one mpg optimistic. I can live with that. ;)

The trip comp I had in my old X3 was great. The car was that thirsty that I used to live by the miles remaining figure and would regularly run it to a figure of 10 or 12 miles worth of fuel to go before refilling, sometimes less than that. I know it wasn't the best practice, dragging dirt etc from the bottom of the fuel tank but if I had refilled every time I reached quarter tank level I would have never left the filling station :lol::lol::lol:

Talking of the fuel gauge, in the RAV, does anyone else find it drops very rapidly after you have past the quarter tank level. :unsure: I find it very un-linear.

Agreed on that one Fuji, mine seems to stay above max fill for ages then plummet towards empty like a runaway express train! :o