Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After Market Parking Sensors - Advise?

kashbg

Hi there,

I would like to get a few opinions on parking sensors that I can fit on my Toyota 04, T3-S, D-4D estate. As I have never owned a car with parking sensors I guess there is things you look for and things you try to avoid.

Ideally I would like to get the ones that blend in with the bumper (colour coded) but am not sure if I will not weaken the bumper if I start drilling thruogh it.

I would love to hear your opinions so please feel free to share your experiences.

Cheers,

What's wrong with asking your local Toyota dealer for a quote? These kits usually come as a main controller kit, sensor kit, which , if your car is a common colour may already come colour coded and a cut off switch if you wish to de-activate the system. These parts are tailormade for your car and guaranteed to fully integrate with existing wiring etc. Having watched the technicians at work fit them, I do know it is a bumper off job, use templates to locate the holes to drill and remove the boot trim to locate the control box etc. If you PM with your chassis number I can look into the cost and fitting details for you.

The rear bumper of the Hatch anyway, has so much open space underneath that you don't even have to remove the bumper.

The lights on the hatch (think it may be the same for the estate) are fixed to the body making for an even more easier install compared to the ones with lights in the rear hatch door. The parking sensor wire can be easily attached to the reverse light connection, as the Avensis has two big paint drain holes just behind the rear wheel arch area, removing the rubber gromet allows you to feed in the wire from the bumper into the hatch area to the reverse light.

Recessed sensors are best and the kit comes with the drill bit. You need to buy a can of paint and prespray the sensors which just pop into place after drilling the holes.

Here's what it might look like

http://parking-sensor.co.uk/gallery/toyota-avensis.asp

These are meant to be the business;

http://www.parking-sensor.co.uk/1840.asp

in the end I didn't go for it despite the easy install as I felt the sensors destroyed the lines of the bumper.

(how vain I am :rolleyes: )

I fitted a reversing sensor to my Avensis last year. See link below

Fitting reversing sensor

You don't need to take the bumper off and it much cheaper to do it yourself if you know what you are doing. I bought my sensors on eBay for £25 and the colour matches my car almost exactly.

Hey, thanks for the advise so far!

Sandpiper !, by the way could you please specify the model of the sensors you used. My car colour is silver. The price £25 sounds great ! I would love to try them. It is allways better to take the recomendation of somebody that was happy. The only thing now is to let us know what model or code were those sensors so that I can track them down on E-bay.

Thanks

Below is a link to the guy I bought the sensor from (OEMKING)

OEMKING Revering Sensor

Things to note is that the sensor will be upside down if you fit it the way I have done, but that isn't much of a problem. The other thing is that this sensor do give out false alarm some times but I know it's a false alarm because I am not near any object while reversing. I supposed that is another difference between a cheap sensor and the more expesnive ones. It does give accurate sounding when reversing towards object though.

Overall I am still happy with the sensors for the price I paid. You will find similar models or even the same one from UK sellers if you do a search on eBay.

Hey there,

I just wanted to share a few observations I have made on parking sensors so far. The ones that I have seen so far for sale on e-bay or via other companies, and in particular receses sensors are not really resessed. There is a lot of pictures of allready fit ones on Avensis, that you need to drill the bumper, but the result is still part of the sensor sticking out of the bumper. I am talking about the outer ring of the sensor.

If I back up right to the touching point to another cars bumper or somebody else does then it will be the sensor outer body (outer ring) the first to take the pressure of the other car and not my actual bumper. Do you see what I mean ! I have seen BMW and other cars which I assume have original factory fitted sensors and they are properly recessed. There is no way you can lean over the sensors. The outer side is a bumper and then somehow inside sits the sensor. The outer ring of the sensor still sits recessed into the bumper.

Any opinions on the above will be greatly appreciated !

I think the Avensis bumper is not exactly 90 degrees to the ground and points slightly downward. The sensors that are not totally recessed are also not totally flat and one side is slightly higher than the other (not always though). The idea is to fit the sensor so that the higher end is at the bottom of the bumper and the thinner end at the top. This will make the sensor point slightly upward to compensate for the bumper angle . A fully recessed sensor fitted on the Avensis may give more false alarm because it will be pointing too much to the ground. Do a search on "Reversing sensor fitting" and take a look at the sensor positioning.

Well that is my opinion. Some one who fits Reversing sensors as their job might correct me though !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can only add one hint to the other members who did install the sensors themselves. Buy a system with a flat bottom display and use a double side glue tape to stick it on top of the mirror. This position gives two advantages: a. You look at the mirror and view the display at the same time when reversing. b. It does not interfere with your dashboard.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links