Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2d Diesel / T180 / Chipped Engine Owners Here Please!

supermacguy

Hi all,

I'm in the USA and want to start a project car. I want to get a 1st gen MR2 and put this 2.2D diesel engine it it. The 2.2d has a lot of torque, more HP than the original MR2 engines had, has a 6 speed transmission already, and is rated to get good MPG.

But my question is, how does this engine really perform?

Would you call it 'sporty' or 'strong' or 'pulls great down low but runs out of power at the top of the rev range' or 'spools up very slowly' or.... or how would you describe it? I have seen a power graph (in the advertising material only) and it looks like torque really drops off about 3200 rpm. Being a diesel, I wonder if it will rev up quickly enough to be considered for an engine in a car I plan to race/autocross/take to an open track day, plus drive on public roads.

I see there is a mod chip to up the power a little, and will do that immediately, or even get it modded for even more power. But if the throttle response is slow, maybe it's not the engine I think it is. I am also considering getting the gear ratios changed for more speed, and also the MR2 is going to be lighter than the Auris to start with.

Please take time to write me a good long article on how you think the engine and transmission perform. If you see any videos or video reviews (Top Gear maybe?) that would be a big help. I don't want to spend $3000+ on this to find out its not really want I wanted and a regular gasoline engine would have been better.

Thanks for your help, Chris

chrispav@ptd.net

www.paveglio.com

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links