Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Mmt Gearbox - Change To 1st Gear

nrf

Can anyone shed any light on whether or not the speed at which the MMT gearbox changes down to first gear can be adjusted?

I had a Corolla T3 D4D 1.4 MMT prior to purchasing my Auris T3 D4D 1.4 MMT and found that the change into first gear would usually occur somewhere in the 3-4mph range. However, the Auris changes down into first any time between 8-9 mph and this can get a bit frustrating when travelling in slowish traffic or manoeuvring around corners. The engine races and one has no choice but to accelerate at high revs up to a speed where the gearbox will allow a change into second gear. Hence, a lot of jer-king (I use this word with a hyphen as I know it will otherwise be censored for some strange reason) back and forth .

The question is can Mr. T and his henchmen do anything about this? Does anyone else have this problem? It's a darn shame because everything else is pretty much perfect.

I have my Auris just over 2 weeks - same model as yours. It took me a while to get used to MMT and I had a few heart in mouth moments when I put my foot down but nothing happened for ages.

I've noticed the first gear thing too, even in manual mode. Easing off the throttle (breifly) just before an up-change to second avoids jerkiness.

After driving 500Km it seems to be smoother (jerkiness is not so bad) and more responsive (no more delayed reaction). I've gotten used to it to the point it feels very close to a full auto in E mode.

Thanks for your post. I, too, am experiencing exactly the same problem you describe on my Auris 1.6 TSpirit (MMT). When braking slightly, to go round a corner, it suddenly goes into first gear (rather than second!). This can be embarrassing when people are about as the engine races away and you feel that they probably think you're an inexperienced driver (or is it just my paranoia?) Anyway, please post again if you're able to achieve a 'fix' for this problem with your local dealership.

Phil

Thanks for your post. I, too, am experiencing exactly the same problem you describe on my Auris 1.6 TSpirit (MMT). When braking slightly, to go round a corner, it suddenly goes into first gear (rather than second!). This can be embarrassing when people are about as the engine races away and you feel that they probably think you're an inexperienced driver (or is it just my paranoia?) Anyway, please post again if you're able to achieve a 'fix' for this problem with your local dealership.

Phil

Phil - Can you confirm that the automatic change down takes place at about an (indicated) 10mph? I will keep you informed if I come up with an answer. Regards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links