Angelicevil

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: Aygo

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

So, there I was this evening at the petrol station about to put petrol in (down to last two bars) when I turn the gas cap...it clicks...it clicks some more...

I know it's definitely not locked because I don't lock my gas cap. However just in case I had an early onset senile moment I stuck my key in. I know the lock is supposed to turn a little but nope it stays solid. I keep twisting my gas cap every which way and all it does is click. It's really starting to drive me mad as I have to go to a wedding on Friday 60 miles up north and I need the car!!!

Have to phone the garage tomorrow if it doesn't sort itself out but really would prefer to avoid that as I just don't have the time to take off work right now to get the car shifted about the place.

Happen to anyone else?

Help!!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 weevicky

weevicky

Super Vicky™

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 462 posts
  • First Name:Vicky
  • Toyota Model: 998cc Aygo
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

So, there I was this evening at the petrol station about to put petrol in (down to last two bars) when I turn the gas cap...it clicks...it clicks some more...

I know it's definitely not locked because I don't lock my gas cap. However just in case I had an early onset senile moment I stuck my key in. I know the lock is supposed to turn a little but nope it stays solid. I keep twisting my gas cap every which way and all it does is click. It's really starting to drive me mad as I have to go to a wedding on Friday 60 miles up north and I need the car!!!

Have to phone the garage tomorrow if it doesn't sort itself out but really would prefer to avoid that as I just don't have the time to take off work right now to get the car shifted about the place.

Happen to anyone else?

Help!!!

Hey, my cap has stuck a few times, but I've always managed to open it eventually. The way I have figured to do it is if you push all your body wieght in while turning it, that usually works. I got told it was te pressure in the tank that was making it stick, but thats alot of bull.

#3 Moffmo

Moffmo

Shotgun Slag

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,037 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Seat Ibiza :|

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

Youd be surprised the amout of pressure petrol can create

#4 yazburner

yazburner

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris T-sport

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

yea its true, i was opening the petrol cap on my yaris and it was really pressurized! thought it was someone drving past with the worlds quietest engine and the worlds loudest dump valve, but no, it was my petrol tank.

me and the guy at the pump next to me jumped half a mile!

its worse if its hot and you havent opened the tank for a while

#5 weevicky

weevicky

Super Vicky™

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 462 posts
  • First Name:Vicky
  • Toyota Model: 998cc Aygo
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

Yeha the guy said it was pressure on something else lol. The noise my tank makes when i open it is unbelievale lol, some times a huge whoooosh im like woah!!

#6 Angelicevil

Angelicevil

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the theory is sound but not the problem it seems with mine. Weather has been hotter and I only opened the fuel tank up on Friday so I haven't a %$(in' clue what's happening here. I'm getting very anxious because I have a wedding on Friday to go to that I've been looking forward to for a very long time and it's being held in the middle of nowhere as well. ARGH!!!

It's really annoying the heck out of me something shocking.

#7 yazburner

yazburner

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris T-sport

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the theory is sound but not the problem it seems with mine. Weather has been hotter and I only opened the fuel tank up on Friday so I haven't a %$(in' clue what's happening here. I'm getting very anxious because I have a wedding on Friday to go to that I've been looking forward to for a very long time and it's being held in the middle of nowhere as well. ARGH!!!

its a little known something called sods law, always rears its ugly head when u least want it too.

i hope you get it all sorted out :thumbsup:

#8 T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo Sport

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

its a little known something called sods law, always rears its ugly head when u least want it too.

i hope you get it all sorted out :thumbsup:

Good luck with that - let us know - but, got to ask the obvious. Did you ask the staff at the filling station to help?

#9 T600

T600

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris T180, MR2 GT T-Bar

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

Good luck with that - let us know - but, got to ask the obvious. Did you ask the staff at the filling station to help?

Good question T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

I used to work in a filling station way back, and most of the staff were experts at getting filler caps off as so many customers had problems removing them (or in some cases even finding them).

By the way Angelicevil, if the problem is low pressure in the tank then don't drive to a filling station and then try to remove the cap. First thing in the morning, before you start the car try to remove the cap. If you free it then lubricate the rubber seal, replace cap and then go to fill up.

HTH

#10 johnan

johnan

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • First Name:John
  • Toyota Model: iQ2 manual, was Aygo. Also MG Midget.
  • Year: 2011

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

My cap is self locking when it is replaced and is turned clockwise until it "clicks".The key is not used to lock it.

To remove it ,the key MUST be inserted and turned anticlockwise to unlock it .This can be very stiff but it will turn.Then remove the key and unscrew the cap.

Fill up, replace the cap, turn clockwise until it clicks and your set to go.The cap is now locked and secure.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users