Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Anti Roll Bar Bush Question

Chris81

Reading all the posts on these bushes perishing I thought I'd have a look under my (not even 2 year old) t-sport with under 10K on the clock. Sure enough, all bushes on both front sides are starting to split. Does anyone know if these will be fixed under warranty or will Toyota tell me it's wear and tear?

Reading all the posts on these bushes perishing I thought I'd have a look under my (not even 2 year old) t-sport with under 10K on the clock. Sure enough, all bushes on both front sides are starting to split. Does anyone know if these will be fixed under warranty or will Toyota tell me it's wear and tear?

At that age and mileage, I would give it a try and have a !Removed! good, loud (so other customers can hear) moan, in branch, to get them to fix the problem under warremty! :angry:

I have done under 30,000 miles but car is 5 years old so bit cheeky to moan now. I am gonna post something about bushes again, so have a look and perhaps respond. We may be able to get better quality ones in future. :yahoo:

Hi Chris81, I put my post up, so far 32 visits but no-one has responded. I hope it will improve in the next few weeks as I am trying to persuade Powerflex to design bushes for the Yaris. They make arguably, the best bushes available to the motoring scene. Keep 'em crossed for me, Gar.

Hi Chris81, I put my post up, so far 32 visits but no-one has responded. I hope it will improve in the next few weeks as I am trying to persuade Powerflex to design bushes for the Yaris. They make arguably, the best bushes available to the motoring scene. Keep 'em crossed for me, Gar.

GAR

I have responded a number of times recently to posts about Yaris A/R/B bushes, The bushes concerned will be replaced under warranty, just go to your dealer and book it in! If you ever have to buy them, the bushes are about £10 per set, or if you need all the bolts, bushes, washers etc, about £55. It is a known problem and you should not have any problems getting it sorted. The bushes should be made of a better rubber IMHO.

Kingo :thumbsup:

ive done 68k and never thought about it :!Removed!:

should i be worried???

No............Life is too short to worry about A/R/B bushes. Just buy a new set (you will need them at some stage)

Yazburner - I suggest you get under your car and check.

In fact, I suggest everyone with a P1 or P2 Yaris get underneath their car and check. I bet practically everyone's bushes are staring to split or on their way out.

I would'nt worry about replacing the bushes just because they are slightly cracked, they will nearly always be slightly cracked, they need changing when there is excess play and begin to knock. Kingo :thumbsup:

I hear what you're saying but should they really be cracked? You can't tell how far down (or up) the crack goes because of the joint. I'll try and get a photo of mine posted up.

I hear what you're saying but should they really be cracked? You can't tell how far down (or up) the crack goes because of the joint. I'll try and get a photo of mine posted up.

The trouble is, the four bushes are squeezed together tightly between metal washers and a long bolt, this bulges the rubber bush out, and over time you get cracking of the bulged bush, it does'nt mean they are shot, just slightly cracked. You could apply the "should they really be cracked"scenario to a mutitude of other items that wear out, pads, discs, shocks etc. Yes they will wear, but at what point are they worn out? You have to apply a judgement at some point in time. Kingo :thumbsup:

Parts-King, I appreciate your advice - Do you work for Toyota? I'm sure you can imagine my surprise at seeing them all cracked looking after such a short life on the car. I've had bushes split on old Fords I've had in the past, but that was after a lot more miles. So there's 4 bushes on each side, is that right?

I'd be interested to test your theory of them all 'nearly always being slightly cracked' as I suspect you're right. The only way to find out is if all owners on here have a look and post their findings.

Parts-King, I appreciate your advice - Do you work for Toyota? I'm sure you can imagine my surprise at seeing them all cracked looking after such a short life on the car. I've had bushes split on old Fords I've had in the past, but that was after a lot more miles. So there's 4 bushes on each side, is that right?

I'd be interested to test your theory of them all 'nearly always being slightly cracked' as I suspect you're right. The only way to find out is if all owners on here have a look and post their findings.

Hi Chris81, This is what I am thinking. I am trying to find out how extensive the problem is. It would seem that ANY Yaris more then a few years old will be affected, to some extent. That'bulging rubber' explanation is the reason why after-market ones are made of better material. Car manufacturers tend to buy cheaper ones, along with shocks, etc. Shave a few quid off the price of a motor, maybe a few warranty claims but they still pelace stuff with cheap gear! :angry:

I have had no meahanical probs with car but bushes going, shocks bottomed out over bumps so got Konis. These things shouldn't need changing for an under 30,000 miler!

Chris81

I work for a dealer, not Toyota, but you need'nt have everybody in the country rush and check there bushes (oooh er Mrs), they will have cracks, it's a case of how bad is it? Like I have said, if there is no movement and the bolt is not broken, you can probably forget about it until next service. Kingo :thumbsup:

Don't worry, its a warranty job. I've had it done on 2 of mine - both at the 40k/2 year mark - and there wasn't an issue at all.

:thumbsup:

A

Well this is how mine looks after just 7000 miles. Top bush really cracked, bottom bush starting to go.

picbush4.jpg

They all look like that, lol, the point is, is there any movement/free play/knocking? If not, it's not a problem Kingo :thumbsup:

They all look like that, lol, the point is, is there any movement/free play/knocking? If not, it's not a problem Kingo :thumbsup:

Guys, excuse me for coming in on your discussion but have got a query on same topic.

A few months ago when my Yaris (54k on clock) was in for a service (at a Toyota dealer) they reported on the "advisory safety report" that the front anti roll link rods and bushes were worn. Shortly afterwards at another garage the car sailed through its MOT.

I've noticed no knocking though having seen previous commnet will jack up the car and check if there's any movement or free play.

Should I get them changed? Wouldn't the MOT pick this up if they were un-safe? (assuming the MOT garage has done a good job!).

Appreciate any advice.

Guys, excuse me for coming in on your discussion but have got a query on same topic.

A few months ago when my Yaris (54k on clock) was in for a service (at a Toyota dealer) they reported on the "advisory safety report" that the front anti roll link rods and bushes were worn. Shortly afterwards at another garage the car sailed through its MOT.

I've noticed no knocking though having seen previous commnet will jack up the car and check if there's any movement or free play.

Should I get them changed? Wouldn't the MOT pick this up if they were un-safe? (assuming the MOT garage has done a good job!).

Appreciate any advice.

I had same thing. MOTed, then month later sevice said bushes cracking.

I think Mr.T wants you to change them, sooner rather then later so as to get more wonga :unsure:

Also, saves them explaining failing parts cos we get them done before they break!

At the risk of repeating myself, they're all like that, unless there is play/movement.....forget about it till next service......Don't get hung up about it guys, they are all like that, somebody is gonna burst a blood vessel at this rate.....f :censor: sake. ooops looks like it's me...... Seriously, check the free play, if it's fine. Leave it. Kingo :thumbsup:

Yeah, mine were clanking madly by the time I got them replaced.

A

• 1 month later...

Well in the interest of completeness, thought I'd come back and update this post.

Recently took my Yaris in for its 2 year service. Mentioned that the front ARBs were all split and they replaced them (including the bolts) under warranty, no problem at all. So if your Yaris is <3 years old then it's worth getting them changed before the warranty is out, especially given that there have been a few posts lately about them being picked up as 'advisory items' on the MOT.

Parts-King, just need your advice now these new bushes are fitted...

Should I grease them or spray some lubricant on them? Will that make these new ones last any longer or do more harm than good??

Don't spray anything on them, there is a danger that grease or spray lube will do more harm than good, they will not last any longer with lube

Recently I had my ARBs bushes and bolts replaced but since then something started to squeak on very rough or bumpy road. The sound comes from the front of the car and probably from the left side. Could it be the new busehs or bols that are connecting to the lower suspension arm?

I think that all this panic about splitting anti-roll bar bush`s is un nescasary. Yep, true, they could be made out of better material and they should "age" better. But even if they completely split and fell out, your wheels aint going to fall off! It won`t effect the steering or brakes either. This is why "advisory sheets" are issued and not MOT failures. The long bolt and washers will still keep the anti-rollbar conected to the suspension- all be it, very noisily! The purpose of an anti-roll bar is to assist in better handling charecteristics (minimising "body roll" on cornering). Even if it did become dis-connected from the suspension at one side, I would doubt if the average driver would even notice (apart from the noise). But, as has already being stated, Mr T will happily change any de-graded ARB bush under warrenty, if your car is under 3 year old. They did mine with no questions asked.