Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regius

acer

i,m in the process of buying a regius and would like to hear from other owners about there reliability ,its a 98 model with 50000 miles on the clock ......

regds acer B)

• 2 weeks later...
i,m in the process of buying a regius and would like to hear from other owners about there reliability ,its a 98 model with 50000 miles on the clock ......

regds acer B)

BUY IT!! I've got a 1998 Regius Limited, fully loaded, Best car I've ever had. Cruises at 90 mph, can't fault it!

thanks for the reply rr

should be getting it in 3 weeks time ,(sva test takes a while).i,m really suprised there isn,t more regius owners on this board as there seems to be an awful lot of car for the money.....

regds acer

I have just been viewing one of these, and am well impressed. so after running 2.5 Pajeros for some time i think the Regius might well be my next move, just a little concerned on the MPGs, but am told there will be littel difference in my Pajero 2.5 desiel, but with the 3 lt under the bonnet. Just trying to find a local dealer in Norfolk, anyone know of anyone importing these.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 1998 Regius.... had similar millages. I love it. I've got four kids and two largish dogs. Fits them all, plus two friends, easily. Its decent enough on fuel (I think I worked it out to be about 28 MPG in ideal conditions). It goes well. Its quite peppy, and I feel comfortable turning out in main traffic (which scared the beejeezus out me in my old Toyota Townace cause it was so slow) I've heard it can do 130 mph on a motorway fairly comfortably, but obviously if I ever did anything that foolish I'd never admit on a public forum. My only complaint is that the rear seats don't come out, which would be very useful for picking things up etc, but still, I've managed to fit two large Greenhouses in the back (dismantled, of course).

• 6 months later...

Hello!

I have owned a Mazda Bongo for 3 years and am getting a bit fed up with various mechanical problems, the uncomfortable bed and lack of access from front to back and side to side at the front (it is a basic Montague motorcaravan conversion by 321 Away) and having seen the road test in MMM for April of a Regius converted by Barry Stimson (see http://www.stimsondesigns.com/welcome.php) this would seem to suit my needs exactly.

However I have a few questions which I would be grateful if someone could answer:

1. How are servicing/repairs arranged and spares obtained? - with the Bongo, the owners' website lists 'Bongo friendly' garages as Mazda decline to help with grey imports,

2. What is the gross vehicle weight? - those of us unfortunate enough to live in Greater London face a low emission zone charge of £100 per day after October 2010 if we use a diesel motorcaravan produced before 2002 with a GVW of between two and a half and three and a half tonnes (the Bongo apparently has a GVW of 2.35 tonnes and should therefore escape the charge if the DVLA can be pursuaded to add the weight to the log sheet) and,

3. The Barry Stimson conversion is based on the Wind Tourer but not all Regius's for sale on eBay say they are Wind Tourers so might this mean they do not all have the very versatile second row seats the conversion depends upon?

Many thanks.

Graham

A word of caution with regard to buying imports.

1. Local agents will generally not touch them

2. Unless there is a direct UK equivalent getting spares may be an issue. Sure there is eBay........and where else? Agents may or may not be willing to import on your behalf.

3. You will generally end up paying more for insurance vs an equivalent UK vehicle.

4. Because local agents won't work on your cars you are at the mercy of local "experts"

5. Mileages on imports may not be what you think they car. Certain "organisations" that warrant mileages only do so based on the declared mileage provided to the Japanese autcion house. They have NO WAY of validating what it was before the car got there.

6. Japanese cars are NOt rust proofed to the same degree as UK cars as the !Removed! don't use salt on their roads, so whilst it is nice shiny and clean when it gets here you need to make sure it is undersealed correctly

7. There is an increasingly large number of stolen cars making their way to UK shores so don't be surprised if the cops arrive at your door one day.

8. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY You WILL struggle to get English workshop manuals for these cars. So if you are happy to service and maintain your expensive purchase based on yours or someone else's guess work.......best of luck.

I often hear guys saying this person or that person is an expert on this or that car etc etc. Well if you are the type of person who needs to take your car to someone else what position are you in to realistically tell whether or not that person knows what they are doing. Lets face it if you were so well informed you would be doing it yourself. But then of course I hear the...."oh he came highly recommended" ...yes by whom.... another muppet like you who doesn't know anything about cars????

Many of the cars being imported are being sold off cheap at auctions in Japan because they can no longer, cost effectively, pass the strict Japanese MoT test (called a shaken) consider why not. Is it because of an inherent issue on the car .e.g The Estima's and Bongos suffer cracked cylinder heads. Do your research on any particular issues a particular car may have.

Again it is very good when someone can say that he/she has had no problems and that the car has been superb, excellent but that doesn't mean that you will be so fortunate so digest my advice fully before you delve into the import route. There is a great deal to be said for

1. Being able to get support anywhere

2. Being able to readily find parts and at competitive prices.

3. Have technical information available.

4. Being able to get competitive quotes on insurance.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a 1998 Regius.... had similar millages. I love it. I've got four kids and two largish dogs. Fits them all, plus two friends, easily. Its decent enough on fuel (I think I worked it out to be about 28 MPG in ideal conditions). It goes well. Its quite peppy, and I feel comfortable turning out in main traffic (which scared the beejeezus out me in my old Toyota Townace cause it was so slow) I've heard it can do 130 mph on a motorway fairly comfortably, but obviously if I ever did anything that foolish I'd never admit on a public forum. My only complaint is that the rear seats don't come out, which would be very useful for picking things up etc, but still, I've managed to fit two large Greenhouses in the back (dismantled, of course).

I've just bought a 1998 regius windtourer with the intention of using it for towing a caravan as well as hauling my large family around.

Has anyone any had any good/bad experiences towing with their Regius and do they recommend I fit a auxilary oil cooler to prevent the auto gearbox from overheating.

• 11 months later...

I have a 2000 Regius that I toe with.....Fully laden it can weight 2300kg and the TV pulls it with ease.

Maybe a little low in the back and I'm currently looking at installing air bags. Anyone have experience with these?

• 5 years later...

i just bought also!!! and I love it. 1997 toyota regius 1KZte 3.0 power turbo diesel. I replaced al those ball joints rack ends bushings. and guess what? It runs like brand new my best cheapest car! buy it bro

• 7 years later...

Hi. This is an old thread but perhaps someone might come across this ..? My parents have a Wind Tourer that they can no longer manage so I’m looking here to see if anyone wants to take it off our hands? I can post more details if anyone is interested. It’s a Japanese import and runs on petrol and LPG. Possibly only useful for spares and repairs …?

Maybe worth putting it on the Facebook Toyota Estima (parts) forum.

I know it's not an Estima/Alphard but it's very similar in many ways...use the "mart" forum.

Come to think of it, there's probably a Regius/Hiace forum on facebook.