Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Of Your Actually Declare Your Mods?

sphinktar1988

Rang my insurance company up to get a quote on my car with all the mods on

was told they wont insure mods :|

but he said if i can give you any advice if you have mods get rid of them

cause if theres so much as tints/wheels/exhaust or anything on the lines of that

theres no chance the insurance will pay out

got me thinking

How many people actually declare them?

out of all my mates i no of one who has his insured and 1 hu has partly

I insure mine. It costs ma about £150 more than it would otherwise - far cheaper than if I had to pay for them all again out of my own pocket...

A

I declare ALL of mine.. even the small things.. IF you were to have an accident, it would give your insurance company an excuse not to pay out, what if your car was a write off worth £5K.. could you afford to loose that £5K?.. what if you hit something like a Ferrari.. you haven't declared your mods, invalidating your insurance, do you think the Ferrari owner is going to say it's ok?.. declare all your mods, not worth it if you don't.

thats y im asking cause i dont but no i should

just it costs so dam much for a

friggin yaris 1.3 with a years no claims in my mams name still gettin me for £1500 a year :@

most places wont touch me or they want 3 grand

haha if he can afford a ferrari he can buy me another yaris :D

haha if he can afford a ferrari he can buy me another yaris :D

You will notice that people with a lot of money like to hang on to it (that’s why they have a lot of it) and they will know every trick in the book to get more or make more.

The last thing you want to do is have a collision with somebody that owns a Ferrari as I’ll guarantee that they will get their pound of flesh from you. Moral of the story: declare all your modifications and if you can’t afford the insurance, take them off.

:thumbsup:

I've kept both of my cars standard because my insurance company really don't look at mods too fondly. You can either keep it standard, modify it & pay the extra after declaring them or modify & don't declare them, which as Davy has pointed out could be a decision you always regret. Using Alan's example, if he rights off a Ferrari his insurance will cover it, if he hadn't declared his mods he'd have to replace the Ferrari & his own car out of his own pocket for the sake of a £150 saving. It's up to you but 1 of the 1st 2 are the sensible options

aye a no just wondered if anyone else did

im going to do it wen i change the policy in to my own name

as they dont insure mods on mine now

QUESTION....

do i get to keep the broken ferrari? :D :yahoo:

All mods declared on mine, I like having valid insurance :)

Given that you're already fronting by putting the insurance in your mum's name it doesn't really matter if you declare mods or not. The insurance company won't pay out when they find out you're the main driver anyway. Could well be why they're not interested in covering the mods either, is you mum really going to have

2500 watts of speaker power

Incar DVD Player

61 inches of Speakers

40mm of lowering

T sport Grille/Sideskirts

Full Powerflow Decat Back

Blitz Induction Kit

?

Oh and if they find out, they'll cancel your policy. Which is a bad thing as one of the first questions you get asked when getting an insurance quote is 'Have you ever had a policy cancelled?' If you have that's an excuse to fleece you... For every quote you ever get in the future.

It is madness not to.

90% of policys will only give a pay out based on a standard car anyway (unless its a special policy that specify's otherwise) However un declared mods privide the insurance company with a "get out of paying" loop hole, and trust me if they can get out of paying... they will!!!

What annoyed me was when my other half wrote her car off, all mods declared, they offered a pitiful pay out, that would not even cover a standard car.. the total pay out offered was less then we got for selling the mods, at second hand prices! -However when she wanted to buy the car back the price was high(£380 when the only offered £590 pay out)

We asked them why it was so much and so over the rule of thumb 10%... they said "because of the modifications to the vehicle"

I think the insurance company industry needs to update their policies on 'Modding'

Why adding something cosmetic like 'tints' should I have to pay an extra £50 on my policy

And will changing my gearknob to a aftermarket one invalidate my insurance????

And it still doesn't make sence that if you make your car safer by adding better brakes etc that you should pay more???

I think they just want the money <_<

I think they just want the money <_<

Which is the whole ethos of insurance companies...

A

I don't have the Unichip any more and the exhaust is declared, I haven't put down the key covers or wind deflectors though :o ;)

How significant does the Mod need to be to declare it? Just seen a post on these forums about someone adding some alloy pedals.

If you didn't declare it, would the insurance company say 'you put performance pedals on and didn't tell us, so we're not paying"?

I declared my tinted windows, and my insurance company wanter £3000 extra a year :|

Now with Zurich, through Endsleigh, paying £2100 roughly a year for 3rd party fire and theft but i'd rather be insured and have them replaced (got free window cover) than them turn round and say they aint paying out!

I think id be pretty screwed after an accident if i didnt declare my mods :lol:

"Err.....is that the factory engine?"

"Urmmmmmmmmm..........yes?"

:lol:

Hi all,

Reading this thread is giving me the shiveries. I was rear ended earlier this year, the other driver

admitted liability right away. But a chance comment the next day at work really put the s***s up

me. Being a 4X4 I had a lot of bolt ons, undeclared of course and boy did I have 24 hour sweat

getting them off before the car went into the insurance companies repair shop. As soon as I got

the car back I told them what I was fitting before I put the stuff back on. As it turned out they did

not charge me any extra. :D If you ask me, I would say tell them everything. Its just not worth it, if

they can get out of paying up they will.

Cheers,

Dave :thumbsup:

but how significant has it got to b painted break calipers? painted engine cover? window stickers? things like that surly wont make a difference wud it?

Phone them and ask!

At the end of the day why line the pockets of a company who add 50 pound for changing your hub caps. Vote with your feet and find a better insurance company.

What is the point in paying for an insurance policy at all if you are going to add mods and then the policy wont pay out.

How significant does the Mod need to be to declare it? Just seen a post on these forums about someone adding some alloy pedals.

No matter how insignificant you think the mod is.. tell your insurance.. if it doesn't affect your insurance premium.. good!.. that way if your car is stolen, they can't say "you made your car more attractive to a thief" by adding a sticker or two without telling them.

&#33;Removed&#33; hell fairly heafty responce

i had to laugh at the "is your mam really going to have these mods" comment lol

ive had one crash nealry 2 years a go and they paid out no problem

but they did ring me up and ask about the tte exhaust seeing if it was standard

i dread to think how much more im going to ave to pay for all the mods considering the amount ive just ordered for the car

but i agree how do u no wat to tell them about?

my mate with a corsa rang up and said he had lowered the car and his policy was £15 cheaper :S

the bloke on the phone couldnt explain why like :S

my mate with a corsa rang up and said he had lowered the car and his policy was £15 cheaper :S

the bloke on the phone couldnt explain why like :S

i guess betta handling meens it could be harder to loose control of the car makin it less likly to crash :unsure:

The only question i get asked is "have you modified the car in anyway from standard?"

Now, mine's got the TTE exhaust BUT it came with that!

So technically I haven't modified it!!

But i did keep all the sales documentation including pictures Toyota took just in case i have to prove i bought it like that!!

yea mine started out with lowering springs and i sprayed them black to they look like the tte ones

but that was a long time ago now n theres been a fair few things added since

thats wat i thought if its lower it handles better but doesnt it make it more attractive to a theif aswell?

where do i stand with my sound system?

theres like £1600 of stuff in there now

im with tesco and they said that the stereo is insured up to £1000 but im guessin ill ave to tell them?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links