Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Of Your Actually Declare Your Mods?

sphinktar1988

a theif mite look for a car with shiny alloys but dont think he wud care if its lowerd or not but i dont think like a theif so i wudnt no

and with ur sterio i dont no where u stand m8 am sure u need to insure it and tell them exactly what u have

yea thats one part im really bothered about cause the tsport skirts n bumper were second hand but the sound system i payed full wack for n i think id cry like a girl if it went

think its jst me being a sucker for slammed cars lol

yep i no what you meen i even tried to have my sound system workin on the toyota headunit just so theifs wudnt c a shiny headunit in the car but in the end had to get an aftermarket headunit

yeah u never get the quality out of the standard one that u can after an aftermarket headunit

just upgraded to a dvd headunit but i made sure it was a snap off one no chance im leaving it on show

worth every extra penny :)

where do i stand with my sound system? theres like £1600 of stuff in there now
i dread to think how much more im going to ave to pay for all the mods considering the amount ive just ordered for the car

What I don’t understand is that you have spent all this money on the modifications (e.g; £1600 sound system) and have ordered more stuff and you are still fronting your insurance.

Wouldn’t it be better to get insurance in your own name first then modify? :thumbsup:

couldnt do it mate

i understand totally wat ur sayin

but insurance in my own name was £3000 first year and then £2000 second

i pay £1450 in my mams name

thats the diffrence between me being on the road and not

in feb ill be going in to my own name with 90% mods declared

i didnt realise i was going to do so much to my car wen i bought it

guess toyota do say "the yaris u could love it to much" :P lol

If I was you sphinktar1988 I would remove your number plate details from your picture before the police or anybody else grasses you up to your insurance company ;)

Sky Insurance take all my mods, it does cost me more than my mates brand new Bora TDi at about £440. I have an agreed value policy so in the event of a claim I am fully covered and there is no quibbles about the starting value.

Madness not to. Some people are kidding themselves on. The first thing any insurance company does in the event of a claim rule 1, Do we need to provide cover for this claim, translation is there any way we can refute the policy.

If these people get caught then they may also get blacklisted and have trouble getting insurance again. Tell your mates to think about it

I've just had my rear windows tinted and called Direct Line just to be on the safe side. As it turned out it didn't make any difference and I was told that only "performance mods" would be likely to add anything to my premium. If others want to charge me extra for a few tinted windows, then let them, I'll just stay with Direct Line

Sphinktar, why do you bother paying for insurance at all.

As you stand, it's not worth the paper it's written on, so why not just cancel it? ;)

cause if the bobby law pulls me over then i ave the lil scrap of paper that keeps me out of jail

untill they pop the bonnet

but chill

this is simply a topic to find out wat other people do

as i ave said im sortin it all out wen my renewal come thru

but i i understand ur point im fooooooobared if i crash like

that why i posted

I'm chilled thanks. :D

Was just wondering why people pay so much for something that is worth nothing; though as you say, it probably will be enough to convince the 5-o that you have insurance if they stop you.

But sorry, I appreciate your question was do people declare mods; I do, though I did once make the mistake of fitting a factory spoiler to an early 190 Celica and found after the event that my insurance company wouldn't cover it and I was going to lose out big time if I cancelled my policy half way through and went with another company; so I removed the spoiler and filled the holes with rubber plugs until my policy ran out and I could insure the car with another company who would cover the spoiler.

Since then I tend to stay clear of mods, and try to buy cars that meet my needs as standard so that I don't have to bother declaring mods and being ripped of by insurers. I figure that if I keep he cars standard for long enough then they'll be unique as nobody else will have one that isn't modified.

There is very little available aftermarket for my car, but there was a huge optional extra list when the car was new.

Theoretically I could fit any of these extras and the car would still be standard.

Mods should always be declared, but some mods shouldn't affect your premiums. I know of people who have had their premiums increased for uprating the brakes ( braided hoses etc ). How can making the braking system more efficient be a justifiable reason to increase insurance costs??

question: are manufactures options modifications? example my 206 came with metal mesh instead of a plastic grill, and a roof spoiler, alloy petrol caps, it came on 206 gti 180 alloys as an optional extra also had rear lights changed and a new exhuast system all as peugoet optional extras, if these are modifications there surely something as silly as aiding side protection kits on an aygo or air conditioning is a modification?

yea u will be covered with them if it came standard on the car

the 180 comes with a few extra bits as my tutor used to ave one n i noticed them but if the car rolled of the line with em on id guess there insured?

jst like my tte spoiler/springs

my mate put audi tt 3.2 brakes on his golf n that cost him a fortune but i understand y

the amount of times ive earlyy smashed in to the back of his car is stupid

he brakes like 3 meters from a roundabout lol

its scary

sphinktar tbh you SHOULD declare all your mods AND yourself as number one driver, if you can't afford the insurance premiums for what you've done why do it?

ok It may look and sound good but does that outweigh insurance fraud?

There is very little available aftermarket for my car, but there was a huge optional extra list when the car was new.

Theoretically I could fit any of these extras and the car would still be standard.

Theoretically yes, but in practice maybe not. The spoiler I fitted to my 190 was a genuine Toyota part available as an option, and as fitted as part of an upgrade pack (Dynamic pack I think). Had it been on the car from new they'd have accepted it, but because I fitted it afterwards they wouldn't touch it. It's crazy to my mind, and they lost my custom as a result, but some insurance companies work to simple rules.

Mods should always be declared, but some mods shouldn't affect your premiums. I know of people who have had their premiums increased for uprating the brakes ( braided hoses etc ). How can making the braking system more efficient be a justifiable reason to increase insurance costs??

As I understand it, they assume that if the standard hoses aren't good enough for you then, then you must be the type of person who drives it like it was stolen. Of course that isn't necessarily the case but they assume worst case. Simple rules again. Though with braided hoses there have been plenty of stories of accidents resulting from the failure of badly fitted ones, so perhaps that was a factor too.

Most insurers like standard cars because it gives them an easy life; some will cover modified ones, but only at a premium.

hmmm just priced mine up online as my company have an option to declare mods so I declared mine as "manufacture options" as some of mine are choices i wanted and not put on as standard manufacture options covers all 3 mesh's and rear lights thats in the 206 accessories book and they didn't even blink on my price. seems the market is varied? the car i priced was an old quote from my former car when i used this company

21 yr old male

Living in sussex

2005 peugoet 206 1.4 sport 3 door petrol manual

*Manufacture optiions* declared

1 years no claims

legal cover

Sp30 (speeding public road) 6 points awarded, revoked license. ( i was a prat when i hung around with boy racers and i learnt the hard way)

full 2nd license

£705.43 total year cost

haha u got 6 point for speeding so u got a GTI180 :P

u must get tempted now and again

think ill ring up some places after work try out with n the out mods see ow bad there guna get me

yeah I was doing 53mph in a 30 zone, got gunned by a traffic cop hiding behind an unmarked police car a silver merc, with a laser gun, (and he was a right git to me as well) on a dead road at 11:05pm its a long straight road, no cars parked on it no houses are attached to it yet its a 30mph road its not even a built up area! but oh well i got done fair and square nothing i could do about it.

yeah soon as I got my license back i got a gti180, as my insurance company don't even care i have points never put my premium up at all! they said SP30's are so common whe are not fussed anymore.

and no i never get tempted anymore, i have 6 points left for the next 4 yrs if i get caught doing 20mph over the limit thats 6 points straight away and hello disqualification shockingly if I am doing 19mph over the limit its only 3 points, but i just stick to speed limits all the time everywhere i just do track days to curb my speeding lusts, i just like the acceleration bit, not the speeding its self so i just rag it to 70 then stop

What I think is funny is my Golf (the 150 PD) sits a bit lower, has slightly more powerful brakes & some other little things like that that are better than those on the 115 PD & the 130 PD & also has a more powerful engine, yet it's the same insurance group as those 2 models & if an owner of 1 of those cars got lower springs etc it would make it more expensive to insure than my car if our situations (age, driving experience etc) were the same. Harsh but true

If an uninsured driver hits my car or her s2k the insurance will be the least of their worrys ;)

If you pay thousands for insurance that you know isnt valid your a muppet .

If you pay thousands for insurance that you know isnt valid your a muppet .

Couldn't put it better myself. :)

thats y im asking cause i dont but no i should

just it costs so dam much for a

friggin yaris 1.3 with a years no claims in my mams name still gettin me for £1500 a year :@

most places wont touch me or they want 3 grand

haha if he can afford a ferrari he can buy me another yaris :D

I cant understund how you are paying so much, I've probably said before, but I have a T Sport for 1600 in my name fully comp, 0NCB, 18 years old. (I do have a years named driving on my mums, though and a pass plus). Also quinn direct said they wouldnt change the insurance if you changed the alloys when i asked (not that i've changed mine). Although, quinn have no windscreen cover which is crap as I have a crack in it...