Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Brake Disc Replacement On Rav4

the_clarkgr

Hi folks, I have recently found my front brake discs to be warped and causing shuddering when braking, Having bought all parts required to replace the discs and pads., I found that I could not get the front discs off.

I gave them some serious attention with the hammer but no joy, I am guessing that they are seized on with rust, but now find myself a bit paranoid that they are somehow secured on, although I can see no way how, I have tried using the jacking screws but this just bowed the front of the casting.

Has anyone removed these before, and had problems, ? is there anything I may have still to remove, or is there indeed a knack for removing these.????

Please help as the car is now jacked and waiting.

Sny suggestions are welcome,

Hi

This is a common prob...on many cars not just the RAV...

I suggest you either use heat on the disk to expand it and release it, or, get back into a heavy hammer (not a wimpy toffeee hammer...) and skelp it from the rear.

I am assuming that any screw on the face of the disk is removed (cant remember if the Rav has one...)

It will come off - my money is on the heat...

DJ

Hi and welcome to the club. Have to agree with above, but if you wait till Anchorman reads your thread

he may be able to offer more advice.

When you get a chance put up a photo in the photos thread and I'll watch out for you (we seem to be local).

Cheers.

Dave :thumbsup:

Hi folks, I have recently found my front brake discs to be warped and causing shuddering when braking, Having bought all parts required to replace the discs and pads., I found that I could not get the front discs off.

I gave them some serious attention with the hammer but no joy, I am guessing that they are seized on with rust, but now find myself a bit paranoid that they are somehow secured on, although I can see no way how, I have tried using the jacking screws but this just bowed the front of the casting.

Has anyone removed these before, and had problems, ? is there anything I may have still to remove, or is there indeed a knack for removing these.????

Please help as the car is now jacked and waiting.

Sny suggestions are welcome,

Ah. I've replaced the discs more times than I like to think about!! I've not had much problem taking the disc off once the caliper is out of the way. You should find a swift shock from a club hammer against the disc bell should break any rust seal. I'd be careful hammering from the rear - one because you'll probably hit something else, and two because the disc will just spring along with the give in the suspension. You could try hammering the front bell whilst putting a little pressure on the rear of the disc with a bit of heavy wood. Heating the disc up would take a fair bit of heat. Some WD40 sprayed into the bit at the centre of the disc where it fits onto the hub might help along.

Sounds like fun. I'm in Uddingston if you get really stuck and can be emailed on ian@silverwells.com

I have had this problem at work before but not on a RAV. As said the discs arent fixed on with screws etc and will be corroded on the rear.

The last avensis i had to do ended up with the inner part of the back of the discs corrode that much that it had become to big to fit over the hub!

The only way i could get these discs off was to keep hitting them with a BIG hammer until the discs split into pieces.

Mart

big hammer and blunt force :thumbsup: but remember to rotate the disc as you hit it to make sure its getting an equal doing

Hi and welcome to the club.

I'm afraid I can only echo the comments above. They do sometimes "grow" with age and the only solution is to shock them off. If you have some means of heating the disc (just around where it fits onto the hub) better still. I usually jack it well up, put it on stands then lie under the front with the steering locked over and just wail it with a big hammer. The bigger the hammer the better as it needs some real shock to loosen it. As the others have said it may fly apart so you might have to finish with a cold chisel but dont damage the hub. Take a lot of time and trouble to ensure the hub is clean as you will be back to square one if you have any rust or dirt trapped between the new disc and hub.

Above all - MIND WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Good luck.

Apply copperslip or similar to rear of new discs before fitting . makes for easy removal next time. :cheers:

• 8 months later...

ok guys,

today i have changed (bought at kingo) my front discs and pads in 1.5 hours. they were rotten and stuck on the hubs. tried a bit with a rubber hammer but stopped that.

well having had a classic land rover of 1967 most of the times you need a big hammer. but i also know that when removing the rear brake drums you use a bold to do that. well after removing the wheels and checked the discs i found that they have two small holes. by checking the new ones i found that they have a tread so i found a passing bold, m8?

after soaking the hubs and discs with penetrate oil i bolted the bold in the disc and yes after an clink i could easily remove the discs...

if you want to do this please be careful when applying the bold. since the discs are full of rust apply lots of oil and make 2 passes forwards and one backwards since you don't want to break the bold. also use a high quality bold not a b&q crap.

so leave you (big) hammer in the toolbox and use a bold. B)

ok guys,

today i have changed (bought at kingo) my front discs and pads in 1.5 hours. they were rotten and stuck on the hubs. tried a bit with a rubber hammer but stopped that.

well having had a classic land rover of 1967 most of the times you need a big hammer. but i also know that when removing the rear brake drums you use a bold to do that. well after removing the wheels and checked the discs i found that they have two small holes. by checking the new ones i found that they have a tread so i found a passing bold, m8?

after soaking the hubs and discs with penetrate oil i bolted the bold in the disc and yes after an clink i could easily remove the discs...

if you want to do this please be careful when applying the bold. since the discs are full of rust apply lots of oil and make 2 passes forwards and one backwards since you don't want to break the bold. also use a high quality bold not a b&q crap.

so leave you (big) hammer in the toolbox and use a bold. B)

What is a 'bold' ? :huh:

If you mean 'bolt' and using the threaded holes in the bell part of the disc - this wont always work as the rear of the discs rust and 'grow' so they wont fit over the hubs anymore.

Always worth a try though :)

Mart.

sorry should be bolt and yes i used the threaded holes in the bell part of the disc. bear in mind that the first one i tried to hammer it with a big rubber hammer and no movement to place. when i used the bolt it actual made a bang and came lose. i just remembered how i removed the brake drums of my old land rover in the past.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how to get the front discs off a 2006 2.2 d4d rav 4? the discs appear to be bolted onto the hub with a nut that requires a special tool? i have never seen this before normally it's a locating screw at most, discs aren't normally bolted to the hub. Or am i missing something obvious? Or is this Toyota attempting to stop home mechanics? Thanks for any advice

Does anyone know how to get the front discs off a 2006 2.2 d4d rav 4? the discs appear to be bolted onto the hub with a nut that requires a special tool? i have never seen this before normally it's a locating screw at most, discs aren't normally bolted to the hub. Or am i missing something obvious? Or is this Toyota attempting to stop home mechanics? Thanks for any advice

I can't think what this nut is you can see. I have done T180 discs and there is nothing once the caliper carrier is off. I put a lump of oak against the disc and wail it with a lump hammer. They come off quite easily.

front brake.pdf

• 3 years later...

This was useful today as reference thanks. Spent a good 10 mins smashing hell out of the front disc to get the !Removed! things off. Also changed the rear discs and shocks. Top nuts on those shocks are a pain in butt too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links