Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used Car Tax

Demonic Angel

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a pleb, especially when it comes to buying 2nd hand cars - the only one I've ever bought is off a family member and my two Yaris's were brand new...

I'm just looking at the moment, but I'm a bit confused about car tax - with brand new cars the car comes with 12 months tax - can I request this on a 2nd hand car? Or do I just have to make do with the tax thats left on it?

If there's less than 1 months tax remaining would asking for an extra 12 months tax be rude? What about servicing/MOT's - if its due soon can I request it be done as part of the deal? Can I try and wangle a free service/MOT if its forthcoming?

Basically, what can I get away with asking for and what can I expect to get?

Em,

You can ask for 12 months TAX if it hasnt got it as a bargaining tool!.. second hand cars from the dealers normally come with 6 months tax.

Just get in there Em with your bargaining head on :thumbsup:

I am sure you will come away with 12 months Tax, Full 12 months MOT, 12 months warranty, full service and lots of "extras".......................You are so persuasive, who could refuse your requests? ;)

(Its a buyers market)

Make sure you get a full tank of fuel too!

Now you are havin a laff, Im afraid those days are long gone, you might get 12 months tax, MOT etc, you can ask, but I think I might have the answer lol, ........................... :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

my mum bought a suziki vitiara jeep thingy (horrible thing) i wangled 12 months tax, full petrol tank, 1 yr warrently, MOT, full service, cam belt out of them. but i think this guy was a bit on the stupid side....

Also got, Full fuel tank, 6 months road tax, + spolier at £250, 3 mesh's worth £300 in total added to my car on my peugeot 1.4 sport when i bought her

Like I said ..................It is a buyers market.

You must be prepared to walk away from the deal if you do not get what you are asking for...........including a tank full of fuel.

There are plenty of cars, (and dealers) to choose from, and remember, the dealer will have made his money on the trade in price on that second hand car..............................just squeeze him gently ;) :P

my mum bought a suziki vitiara jeep thingy (horrible thing) i wangled 12 months tax, full petrol tank, 1 yr warrently, MOT, full service, cam belt out of them. but i think this guy was a bit on the stupid side....

Also got, Full fuel tank, 6 months road tax, + spolier at £250, 3 mesh's worth £300 in total added to my car on my peugeot 1.4 sport when i bought her

Look folks, it's like this, if you get everything you ask for, the car was too expensive to start with, any used car is going to have a proportion of "profit", but if you get too many freebies, just ask yourself, how can they do that deal? in your Suziki scenario, the dealer just gave away at least £600 out of his margin, the car was probably over priced to start with or the dealer wanted it shifted on, probably because he had it instock too long!

Cheers

just do what i do flash some seriously wedged cash or a cheque book start to count it or write it, see there little eyes light up then ask for extras and if they no just say "oh" put it away and walk away, adding "well there is plenty of dealers out there i better just check them first" peugeot fell for that one hook, line, sinker, fish and copy of angling times

Look folks, it's like this, if you get everything you ask for, the car was too expensive to start with, any used car is going to have a proportion of "profit", but if you get too many freebies, just ask yourself, how can they do that deal? in your Suziki scenario, the dealer just gave away at least £600 out of his margin, the car was probably over priced to start with or the dealer wanted it shifted on, probably because he had it instock too long!

Cheers

Like I said .................It's a buyers market.....................squeeze them gently and you will get what you are happy with out of the deal.......................................If not...........WALK AWAY!! :thumbsup:

a average second hand car dealer will have put 20% on the price he paid for the car. then if your part ex'ing he will put another 20% on that price he pays for your car so he could really be making 40% out of you :eek: . thats a lot of bargining power. squeeze em hard :thumbsup:

depends on the dealership... Is it a proper dealership eg BMW, Toyota, Mercedes etc or is it something small like "Bob's Quality used cars"... At the BMW dealership I work at used cars get 12 months tax, full service (any part that needs replaced is replaced this also includes interior parts eg if the steering wheel is badly worn a new one will be fitted), 12 months MOT, Valet and over 1 year warrenty

Bought my CTS from Mr T.

12 months tax, full tank of fuel, 1yrs warranty, 12 months RAC cover, got them to do the service it needed as well!

Just got through the post complimentary Accident Cover and Key cover!

As for dealers adding 20% to each car, got my dad to check the value of my car i was p/x (used to work in the industry and still has a few buddies!!) and the CTS, neither were over priced!

:thumbsup:

I got a full tank of fuel, 6 months tax(couldnt get the full 12months), 7 days insurance, full service, full valeting, additional 500 quid discount and a glass of water with my car

you just have to be really cheaky, and dont accept the first offer

If you dont ask..... you wont get....

its worth trying for...

I never bought a used car from a dealer before tho.. only private sale... and you can ask for whatever there... but you may or may not get it... *shrugs

Make sure you get a full tank of fuel too!

Now you are havin a laff, Im afraid those days are long gone, you might get 12 months tax, MOT etc, you can ask, but I think I might have the answer lol, ........................... :eek:

Told you!

My mate went for a full service at a Toyota dealer, got it worng 3 times so gave him a full tank of fuel.

oh yea, forgot to say when you buy a car from a proper dealership they are usually put through a body shop as well so any dent, scuff, rust, stone chips, curbed wheel etc etc is repaired also

Assuming its a dealership......

If you get finance on the car and they tell you the rate and it appears good, make sure its the APR not flat rate.

Also don't bother with GAP Insurance if they try to sell it.

If you get finance on the car and they tell you the rate and it appears good, make sure its the APR not flat rate.

Why not bother with GAP? are you an authority on everybodys finances?

Why not bother with GAP? are you an authority on everybodys finances?

Because it costs £300 from dealers whereas you can get it significantly cheaper if you shop around.

Only giving my opinion....

It depends totally on what it comes with and what you can wangle...

There is no obligation to sell a used car with Tax or MOT, My Hilux came with no tax, the dealer did offer to tax it, but he wanted more then I was willing to pay!