Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anti-hijack Tips

Captain Weirdbeard

A Few years ago, our next door neighbour suffered an attempted hijacking just outside the house as he returned from work late one night. Two youths were apparently lying in wait for him. They waited 'till he pulled up and when he opened his door he was threatened with a knife and told to hand over the keys to his tricked up Citroen Saxo. He went for his mobile and then pushed the youth with the knife away as he tried to pull him from the car. He sustained some nasty injuries to the tendons in his hand as he defended himself against the knife but pushed the youth off balance into his accomplice. It gave him just enough time to do a quick reverse off the drive and so he escaped to the Royal Infirmary Casualty Department to have his wounds sorted and call the Police.

I was in on the night and never heard a thing! I only found out three days later when the Police came to ask me if I'd heard or seen anything. My neighbour couldn't go back to work for months after due to his injured hand and went to stay with his parents for a bit. He's a plumber so he was very lucky to recover from the injuries especially as complications set in later.

He never properly lived at the house after the incident and it went on the market six months or so later. I am sure that he had been followed home by these youths and that they knew when he was due to come home from his late shift.

Now that my mate has a Compressor parked on my drive we reckon it would be prudent to have a can of pepper spray or a tazer to hand both in the car and near the front door. It could be that there are better things to be had for protection. I love to hear ideas from the group on this subject...

Having a weapon at hand (pepper spray or tazer) suggests that you are going equipped and going with intent.

Common sense should be a priority. Being vigilant, keeping doors locked, checking surroundings prior to opening any doors, and having an escape route.

Keep spare keys locked in a safe. Take adequate vehicle security measures and keep your fingers crossed.

Oddly, i've always kept a can off deodorant in the car, for those warm days... would be nasty to get that in the face tbh, and that'd go down as self defense... found whatever you had in your car and protected yourself with it. fair game, as far as i understand the law

Not that its in there for self defence purposes of course lol

Stupid Chavs probably only after Saxos anyways. Probably haven't even heard about a T-Sport Compressor!

Just be careful as mentioned above. I tend to park my car in the garage which is alarmed so think I'm pretty safe.

I do have some golf clubs in the boot should I ever need to play golf! ;)

Oddly, i've always kept a can off deodorant in the car, for those warm days... would be nasty to get that in the face tbh, and that'd go down as self defense... found whatever you had in your car and protected yourself with it. fair game, as far as i understand the law

Not that its in there for self defence purposes of course lol

I like your thinking...

As for going equipped, as T V O R said, I'm fed up of being told that I should be mindful of a criminal's rights so I am not denying that I would aggressively dissuade anyone from trying it on. I do mean where a weapon is plainly visible, of course. We also have gun crime in the area so I would rather face the authorities than sustain injuries like my neighbour did or worse. He nearly lost the ability to do his work through that incident! Unless you carry a gun yourself, there is no risk of being injured by the authorities at all - especially if you are a criminal!

Our jack, the Trucker who owns the car is well heavy, in most senses of the word, and not many would attempt to intimidate him from the outset. I am of average build and although not many would square up to me in a clinch this situation was two on one at a time when there were no witness's.

When you've got youths who have been watching your car with a view to taking your keys from you just for a ride... well the gloves are off because they've already got a plan. I'm just hoping to thwart it and give them a little reminder to take home with them not to come 'round here again.

Good response guys, keep the ideas coming...

I am sure that he had been followed home by these youths and that they knew when he was due to come home from his late shift.

I've known of a few incidents where someone was followed home and robbed like this. The best solution is to take a slightly strange route home. When I had my motorbike I never went directly home with it, same with the Sera. Once I'm on my estate the route doubles back on itself slightly so it's obvious that anyone still behind me is following.

Sad that things like this happen, but a bit of vigilance and 'gut feeling' about the car behind you really can pay off

I am sure that he had been followed home by these youths and that they knew when he was due to come home from his late shift.

I've known of a few incidents where someone was followed home and robbed like this. The best solution is to take a slightly strange route home. When I had my motorbike I never went directly home with it, same with the Sera. Once I'm on my estate the route doubles back on itself slightly so it's obvious that anyone still behind me is following.

Sad that things like this happen, but a bit of vigilance and 'gut feeling' about the car behind you really can pay off

I agree with everything you suggest except that I've been there and done that (strangely, it was when I had my 'bike too).

Another factor is that there has already been an carjack attempt made by youths (who have not yet been identified) which resulted in my neighbour packing up and leaving. If these youths are still on the plot, they could well be thinking that this is a soft neighbourhood. It isn't. I intend to meet any attempt on my property with aggressive defence. jack is not as tolerant as I am, by the way, and he has the record to prove it.

Maybe I should clarify this thread somewhat by modifying the question: If you had no other choice, how would you aggressively defend yourself?

I've always found the best way of protecting my self would be the shotgun i keep in the glove box, the 3 hand grenades in the boot, the sub machine gun under my seat and the rocket launcher under the passenger!!!

ONLY JOKING!!! ;)

No, i agree with ED, stupid chavs have probably never heard of a T-Sport. Terrible thing to happen though!!!

Mark

P.S: my mate drives a CTR and ALWAYS has a can of mace in the glove box!!!

I always carry my "spare" sandwedge ;) in the back of the car .

Nice short club , heavy head and a nice grip - doesnt do much on the course though :(

I always carry my "spare" sandwedge ;) in the back of the car .

Nice short club , heavy head and a nice grip - doesnt do much on the course though :(

Nice, doesn't do much good for you in the driving seat either.

Love your handle

It's ok having something like that in your boot but what if they manage to get it off you and use it against you?

Let em try mate :)

I can only thank my parents for my height / build .

When i say in the back , i mean its on the floor behind me or across the rear seats .

My brother has a rubbish gear-stick lock which would double as an awesome weapon - its like a small baseball bat but steel .

Let em try mate :)

I can only thank my parents for my height / build .

When i say in the back , i mean its on the floor behind me or across the rear seats .

My brother has a rubbish gear-stick lock which would double as an awesome weapon - its like a small baseball bat but steel .

I doubt you get enough of a swing with either of those to do you the least bit of good unless you had let them drag you from the car!

you can buy baseball bat steering wheel locks.

would probably stand up in court. 'was the nearest object to hand to "defend" myself with, so i beat the little :censor: till i felt he was of no threat"

:thumbsup:

Now that my mate has a Compressor parked on my drive we reckon it would be prudent to have a can of pepper spray or a tazer to hand both in the car and near the front door. It could be that there are better things to be had for protection. I love to hear ideas from the group on this subject...

Of course, the news today that the Police are being given lots more Tasers, has absolutely no bearing on my original question.....

If you had no other choice, how would you aggressively defend yourself?

Totally :thumbsup:

I would have no hesitation in running them over.

im concious that if anything ever happens for anyone here and it ever comes to light that somebody previously said theyed harm the individuals involved ... that might well count as !Removed! 1 / law abiding property owner 0

so id just give them the keys and it would be them that started any trouble .... lol

If you're quick there's plenty of ways to incapicitate an attacker. A knuckle to the throat, fist to the sternum, or a kick in the nuts. It's all good clean fun. However I'd probably give them the keys, I have a tracker in the car anyway. Mind you, by the time the police get around to following it up, the tracker would have been stripped anyway I suppose. They've got more important things to do, like stand on the side of the road with radar guns.

Either run em down or hand over the keys then hunt em down like dog the bounty hunter (its an american tv show with a crazy american bounty hunter).

Either run em down or hand over the keys then hunt em down like dog the bounty hunter (its an american tv show with a crazy american bounty hunter).

Aren't you embarrassed to even mention that steroid 'droids name? I mean, have you seen him? He looks like he baths in baby oil twice a day and preens for the rest of it.

It used to be that you could say; "Only in America!" Now we can proudly say it of good old Blighty, in the UK of A. Stop me if I sound sarcastic.

As for the subject, it was said that even to speak of "harming" a criminal goes against you later on. I can't argue with that. It wasn't suggested by me in the first place but I wouldn't cry for him if he suffered injuries because I'd stood my ground. Anyway, you can be sure that criminals talk about harming their victims... some of them even video it for gawd's sake!

I can tell you of my experience of an attempted burglary a few years before. After I'd heard a sound in the night I went out to my garage and came up behind two young men who had just forced the door. They were about to go inside but I must have made a noise because they suddenly took off across the neighbours' gardens. I chased the two and they turned the corner just as I threw my torch at them in frustration because my slipper had come off.

You do not think in these situations, you act and your brain takes a back seat until the threat is gone. If the torch had hit one of them he could well have got concussion. When I stopped at the end of the jitty where they disappeared I got sight of them along with a third man keeping watch at the back of the house. Fortunately for me, they did not challenge me further that night and went away. Perhaps the sound of a heavy object whizzing past and smashing into the pavement scared them, I don't know.

The Police were duly called and they actually brought sniffer dogs with them. It was too late. Either the trail had gone cold or they never picked it up in the first place.

By chance I saw one of them in town the following day and he started throwing shapes but walking backwards away from me so I just laughed at him and he went to cower with his mates on the square. Later that day they drove past my garage, bass bins clipping and this lad going past on foot 'till they were just about to go out of sight. Then they handbraked they car (an old Granada) and power slid it 'round, picked up their mate and returned back past seemingly wanting to make some point or other.

This happened three times while I was in my garage that afternoon repairing the lock that had been forced and I really felt they wanted to "draw me out". I just carried on and watched until they got bored and went away. At the time I might have done something regretful if the chap on foot had come on my property to say anything but I got the distinct feeling that his was a display for my benefit to establish a status quo, so to speak.

It takes more self control than I am capable of to just let people take what I have worked for. I just haven't got the restraint so it is perhaps wise to work out a plan to limit the possible damage to all parties should a confrontation occur.

I really like the idea of having a couple of tasers at the moment. It seems from the news today that Police trials prove them to be the non-lethal weapon least likely to cause serious harm. I do not know what voltage and current their devices deliver other than where Teletext quote 50,000 volts. I think some of the ones advertised on t'Interweb run at higher voltages so it bears further scrutiny for peace of mind.

In my hilux i have a snap-on breaker bar 24" long with a socket on the end to use as a wheel brace, i keep it along side my seat and would not think twice about smashing someone in who was trying to harm me or my car.

I have used aggressive force to protect myself twice where it has landed me in the police station, but once they have figered out what happened let off. both these times were in 2004, the first was not in a car but was walking to it at 1:00am in brighton after a night out, i had been clubing with some mates from work and was walking to my car on my own in a multi storey car park, i was on the phone trying to let my mates know i was going home as i had lost them. as i walked along on my phone i got grabbed from behind and punched in the face twice, there was 2 boys! i say boys as they were 15 and 16. I have done some boxing trainning few years back and lucky for me can handle my self ok, the boy nearest me had tried to grab my mobile while the other hit me but i had managed to grab him. i wont go into to much detail as this is a family site but he needed a fair bit of work doing in hospital, his mate ran off and left him. i still had my mobile so called the police and told them what had happened, i had to go to the police station but never got charged with anything. it turned out they were from romania and were part of a gang that were mugging people in brighton at cash machines etc, 2 of the police officers shock my hand off the record thanking me. as in alot of cases it was women and older people that got mugged.

the second time was in my corolla about 3 months later, i had been round a mates house which was not in the best of areas it has to be said, i left his at 12am got in my car and started to drive up his road which is a single track due to all the cars on the left parked up. just before the end was a man in the road bloking my path with no top on (was a cold night in winter) holding a blade of some kind with blood all over him, he was very angary indeed to shoting at me! as he started to come towards me i drove back but could not see anything as it was so dark and the rear window was misted up, so i stoped with about 20 meters between us. locked my doors and thought i would have to drive at him thinking he would move, well he never moved and i hit him on the offside wing which sent him flying. ive never driven so fast in a 30mph limit i can tell you, once i was safe from this mad man at home i called the police to tell them what happened and that they need to go there right now before he kills someone.

the police never even came round mine till the next evening which i thought was poor to say the least, it turned out this guy had just got out of jail that day after 5 years and somebody had been round to give him a kicking for something that he had done in the past, all this had happened just before i came along in which time he had got a knife and came out thinking it was me! and for all i know still might as i did run him over lol.

so this is why i feel its ok to arm yourself in your car and do what ever is needed to protect yourself and family because if you dont, who will??

You do not think in these situations, you act and your brain takes a back seat until the threat is gone.

Forgive me, I'm no lawyer but I'm just trying to be more aware of what the likely outcome to posting on a net forum or other choices may be.

Already, a person was done recently for posting a video of himself doing silly speed on public roads.... so the net stuff can go against us.

Secondly, if you place a loaded gun by your bed, and a blagger breaks in, if you dont think and just shoot him then the rozzers, a jury, a judge are not likely to accept that you didnt think and just reacted. Theyre going to say it was a prepared response and your off to have a nice stay in a HM det camp.

Maybe if the object used was something you'd expect to find it might wash as not prepared, eg the gun was part of the crime film shrine that happens to be by your bedside so you can kneel and bow down to your idols before sleep every night ....lol

If you carry a baseball bat in your car..... make sure you have a baseball and a glove also.... that way when the popo ask why theyre there... you can honestly say its so you can play baseball ;)

Secondly, if you place a loaded gun by your bed, and a blagger breaks in, if you dont think and just shoot him then the rozzers, a jury, a judge are not likely to accept that you didnt think and just reacted. Theyre going to say it was a prepared response and your off to have a nice stay in a HM det camp.

You are the only one who has suggested such a thing so far. Well done. We'll send you a cake with a file in it when you're banged up for standing your ground.

No, in all seriousness, I agree that I am planning how to meet an armed attack with an armed response. Why shouldn't I? Why shouldn't I discuss how to go about it in a reasoned manner so that rage does not make a bad situation worse?

It is because I want to be prepared to meet an aggressive, possibly lethal threat with a non-lethal but effective deterrent. If an attacker merely gets hurt, what's the problem? I know that I have used "reasonable force" because I have thought about it and prepared a plan of action. If I decide to arm my self with a Taser, for instance, the attacker should be grateful that I have given him a better chance of surviving without serious injury by doing so rather than trying to club him to death with a blunt object.

Am I really being unreasonable about this?

Carry a water pistol full of household ammonia in the glove compartment :lol: Get them in the eyes & they are blinded. Get them in the mouth or nose & they choke. Anywhere around the head/neck & they have difficulty in breathing.

Then YOU phone the Police & report a couple of men who seem to be physically in trouble in your Street & disappear to bed.

They are unlikely to say that they were going to mug you & that you got your retaliation in first :thumbsup:

I can totally relate to this thread - i am THE most paranoid person when it comes to my car , all with due reason of course - im not just weird

I was followed home once before - it was when i had my mk1 fiesta - bearing it mind it wasnt a piece of crap - it was stunning and a fine example for its age, i was driving it home up my street one night after work and i noticed a brown rover sat at the crossroads - it seemed odd to me that the bloke hadnt pulled out before i got there because there was loads of time for him to do so, but i carried on to my cul de sac but i didnt put my indicators on incase he saw - i then saw him in my mirrors pull out very slowly and proceed down my street - as i was just reversing to get up the driveway he went past the end of the cul de sac - i had this gut feeling that something wasnt right, i even walked in the house and told my dad to make sure i parked the fiesta in the garage before i went to bed

unfortunately i totally forgot about the incident and went out to stop at robs - when i got back in the morning my dad told me that my neighbour had scared two lads off in the night - the had rammed a screw driver into the lock of the drivers door and completely **cked up the lock,luckily they didnt get anything before getting caught, and i very quickly found out who did it - my other neighbour was a bit notorious on the village and he was the sort of person who could find out anything, so him and my dad paid them a visit - we never had any trouble since.

I can honestly say that i dont look very fierce but when it comes to my car i am extremely protective of it - and i have a very short temper, so i dont know what sort of thing i would be capable of if i found somebody trying to nick it! I hate all this bull **it about not being able to protect yourself - i say give as good as you get , they are in the wrong not you - what is the world coming to when you put the victims in jail?!

I think the best solution is as most people have said - use something that would already be in your car - not a knife or baseball bat - but something normal, i have a fire extinguisher fixed to the passenger door - for 'emergencies' of course ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links