Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Guinness Thread

Captain Weirdbeard

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70406

In the above thread there was some mention of the black stuff. It seems that people are passionate about it the way they are about Marmite - you either love it or hate it... no in-betweens. I love a bottle myself and draught sometimes if I know the pub is selling enough to keep it from going stale in the pumps.

Clearly this deserves a thread of its own. This is part of the conversation from the above link to kick off.

- Isn't ALL guinness now brewed in Ireland?

- Yes but the Irish don't actually drink Guinness.

- Actually, they do but the experienced ones will always have a whiskey chaser."

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=1

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70406

In the above thread there was some mention of the black stuff. It seems that people are passionate about it the way they are about Marmite - you either love it or hate it... no in-betweens. I love a bottle myself and draught sometimes if I know the pub is selling enough to keep it from going stale in the pumps.

Clearly this deserves a thread of its own. This is part of the conversation from the above link to kick off.

- Isn't ALL guinness now brewed in Ireland?

- Yes but the Irish don't actually drink Guinness.

- Actually, they do but the experienced ones will always have a whiskey chaser."

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=1

This would have been better posted in GENERAL :rolleyes:

This would have been better posted in GENERAL :rolleyes:

I did consider that. If you read the post; I have linked back to the post in the general section where there had been mention of Guinness on Giddlepin's post. The only reason for posting under Irish Meets was to try and get some discussion from some of the Irish members on a subject which was off-topic for the thread in which it first emerged.

Sorry. I won't do it again.

After all the hoo-ha I never even got to try one :crybaby:

Missed the 10am Fleetwood to Larne ferry and had to wait until the 3am next morning (not much fun in a day cab truck :shutit: ) so I had to get the deliveries done in time for the 10pm ferry that night.......needless to say I was knackered as well as peed off for missing out on the black stuff :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I might as well kill off this thread too. Looks like it was dead in the water even when I posted it against the Irish Meetings section.

Not all Guinness is brewed in Ireland, there are brewing rights for other continants (i.e. africa).

The Irish do drink it.

There was a time where there was a 5% draft version brewed specificly for the German market, the irish ex pats that lived out there got so used to it, when they went home they didn't like the local stuff!

Irish and English brews were different too, however it is now the same throughout europe.

i thought there was a massive advertising push that it was brewed in ireland \

ST JAMES’S GATE

Welcome home. GUINNESS® was first brewed at St. James’s Gate over two centuries ago. Today the Dublin brewery produces GUINNESS® Draught for Ireland, the UK, Europe and the United States. GUINNESS® Essence is also brewed here - it’s a vital ingredient in all the GUINNESS® beer brewed everywhere else, guaranteeing that all our GUINNESS® includes a wee drop from Dublin.

- it’s a vital ingredient in all the GUINNESS® beer brewed everywhere else,

The clue is in your text ;)

Guinness is something I know a bit about :P

There used to be two Toucans, one on each side of side of the St James gate brewary main entrance...

It means it brews it for the UK, Ireland, europe and the US, funnily enough.........

There is also a "FES" version (foreign extra stout) that is about 7.5% which afaik is not brewed in ireland at all ;)

so therefore GUINNESS in the UK comes from ireland? in all the pubs here they have "NOW BREWED IN IRELAND" posters and it was in the national press :\

FES isn't available here on the whole but am sure someone would import some for you :) lol

Yes, the stuff you'll buy ina UK pub will be brewed there. But not "all Guinness" in the first post ;)

I have a stock of FES already, not a huge fan of the bottled stuff to be honest, but it is different!

We used to have a proper full draft setup for Guinness and Kilkenny in our house :)

Guinness is something I know a bit about :P

There used to be two Toucans, one on each side of side of the St James gate brewary main entrance...

That makes, um, four cans? I'd drink to that if I wasn't so fond of the bottled variety. (I should apologise for that but I am shameless.) Did you ever "do" the tour through the brewery?

The tour, of course!!!

We have lots and lots of Guinness merchandise ;)

Yes, the stuff you'll buy ina UK pub will be brewed there. But not "all Guinness" in the first post ;)

I have a stock of FES already, not a huge fan of the bottled stuff to be honest, but it is different!

We used to have a proper full draft setup for Guinness and Kilkenny in our house :)

so we're sorted then :) lol

you have guinness kegs in your house? lol or that surger thingy?

We did have a fully installed draft system, kegs, cooler unit, mixed gas, proper taps etc for both beers, but that was in our old house.

Free lol.... and free refills.

I guess my old man being the MD helped ;)

Free lol.... and free refills.

I guess my old man being the MD helped ;)

Ahah...

I'm not a big Guinness drinker (yeah strange for an Irish man) I'd only have a pint of it if I'm at the Rugby (it's either that or Tenants :disgust: )

But my gran used it for everything, if you'd the flu, upset stomach or indigestion a sip Guinness would sort it! She even used it in Gravy! but she did make a mean Irish Stew with it.

There's a few fish and chip shops around Belfast that use Guinness in the fish batter ....I know it sounds rank, but it's very tasty.

I'm not a big Guinness drinker (yeah strange for an Irish man) I'd only have a pint of it if I'm at the Rugby (it's either that or Tenants :disgust: )

But my gran used it for everything, if you'd the flu, upset stomach or indigestion a sip Guinness would sort it! She even used it in Gravy! but she did make a mean Irish Stew with it.

There's a few fish and chip shops around Belfast that use Guinness in the fish batter ....I know it sounds rank, but it's very tasty.

I haven't tried Guinness batter but I've had beer batter so I think it would suit very well. Especially with some of the stronger flavoured fish. I might try that myself next time I've got the time to do a good fry-up!

Do you know if the republic's Blood Transfusion Service still brings crates of Guinness with them when they set up at major employer's sites? The authorities here just would not entertain the idea. To use a word mentioned elsewhere on the forum today, England's nanny wouldn't allow it. It might have become the same in dear old Dublin since I left there.

I haven't tried Guinness batter but I've had beer batter so I think it would suit very well. Especially with some of the stronger flavoured fish. I might try that myself next time I've got the time to do a good fry-up!

Do you know if the republic's Blood Transfusion Service still brings crates of Guinness with them when they set up at major employer's sites? The authorities here just would not entertain the idea. To use a word mentioned elsewhere on the forum today, England's nanny wouldn't allow it. It might have become the same in dear old Dublin since I left there.

Lovely stuff and had a few after meeting in London yesterday...went into Waxy O'Connor's

logolonlge.jpg