Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Guns!

Ryan1985

My mate wos goin over the speed limit the other nite and the poliice jumped out a side street and caught him with their speed gun!!!

Does the gun take the registration plate or wot? Wot happens now? They never followed or chased him so i wos just wondering if he has got off with speeding or wot?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Did you notice any police cars (or bikes) waiting further down the road? Whenever I've seen the "guns" there is usually a car holed up a few hundred yards down the road waiting to pounce.

I had ben told that if you get clocked with a speed gun the police need to stop you straight away, not sure about that though. Sure someone on here can clarify all the rules .

Also they need to contact the owner of the vehicle within 14 days.

Your friend could always go to court and plead he didnt know who was driving the car ie The Hamiltons............

He will probably find there's one rule for sme people and another for others.

:ffs:

Nope, no cars or bikes furhter up the road cos i wos followin my mate in my mighty Yaris!!!

Does that mean he's off the hook or wot?

Fingers Crossed eh!

I always thought the guns just gave a speed reading, without other evidence (ie a photo or video) I would have thought it would be your word against thiers. In other words, without evidence I don't think they can do anything.

You never know they may have just been checking average speeds along that stretch of road, or even training the new ocifers to use the gun.

I might be wrong but I thought the photo type machines were normally mounted on a tripod hence copper would not be jumping out, the hand held ones are radar or laser detectors and I am sure they need to stop you then or shortly after, to notify you in the post I am sure they need picture evidence. I hope :eek:

As for arguing you don't know who was driving remember you need to make sure there are multiple people on the insurance policy or they can get you that way......

Don't forget the hamilton woman will have had a serious legal bod on the case, unlike what most of could afford.... :wacko:

Fingers crossed for you in Kent :thumbsup:

the hair dryer they point at you merely detects what speed your going

as master simon says it doesnt take a photo of anything to do with the car and if they were gonna nail you then they will come after you

maybe (an i say maybe) got away with it

top tip: buy a road angel - i did and they are ace!

:thumbsup:

Its quite common now for Traffic officers to use a laser gun with a small video camera attached to it. It can be hand held, and the evidence collected is good enough to prosecute you with.

In order to actually prosecute you though, they need to serve you with a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). This can be done verbally at the side of the road or it can be posted to the vehicles registered keeper.

If its done by post though, it must be sent (NOT recieved - postal strikes are not a viable get out!) within 14 days of the alleged offense.

If you hear nothing in the next couple of weeks, you're off scott free, if the NIP turns up and is dated more than 14 days after the incident, you're off scott free, as to much time has elapsed and legally the prosecution can no longer go ahead.

Good luck...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links