Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Is It Illegal To Use Fog Lights?

badboyts

why cant use fog lights when its dark but not foggy? i mean it cant be that they dazzle anyone cos there too low.

there not like wagons or big 4x4s and motorbikes when there sat behind you in traffic with there lights on you cant see a thing cos there just the right hight to shine in your mirror and blind you or when they come down the road blinding everyone.

i think it should be aloud especialy when theres no street lights as they help light up the road.

whats your thoughts?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T600

• DellaRed

• Pompey Gaz

• Captain Weirdbeard

Because fog lights are indeed for fog... the name kinda gives it away :rolleyes:

So is it illegal to use normal lights in foggy conditions then? ;)

use full beam for more light but remember to turn off the full beam when there is traffic in front of you

Do you mean fronts or rears?

Fronts I guess, as rears are clearly too bright for use in clear conditions.

However, the fronts are deliberately mounted very low so that they can shine under the fog and not reflect back at the driver. The dazzling that they cause isn't to vehicles in front of them that you get from the examples you give. Rather it's to traffic coming the other way. Because they're mounted so low down they can't be dipped down the way normal headlights are. Therefore they present more of a danger to traffic coming towards you, which is particularly bad news if you dazzle them and it results in a head on collision.

I notice that it's usually younger drivers who use front fogs in clear conditions; I imagine they probably have perfect eyesight and can still see clearly when there's a bit of dazzle from other vehicles foglights, and therefore don't fully appreciate the problems it can cause for others who's eyesight isn't as good.

can someone explaine why we cant use fog lights when its dark but not foggy? i mean it cant be that they dazzle anyone cos there too low.

Errrrr, yes they can.

Used to drive a roadster and that was a low car, any fog or driving lights on any vehicle would get you right in the rear view and wing mirrors, all you could do was slow down.

Highway code rules 201 / 210 / 211 :

201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

210 : When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required in Rule 201

keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security

be able to pull up within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster

use your windscreen wipers and demisters

beware of other drivers not using headlights

not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you

check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down

stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.

211 : You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Such a post from the Weekly Gripe web site :

http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a161.asp

Just turn them off!

Why, cause its the law

And it gives the cops something to pull you over for.

Dont you realise that the UK is the country with the most silly nany state laws.

Can you imagine it in America, India, Spain, France?

Excuse me sir this is an offense having a certain type of light on and its not foggy, ha ha ha

crikey! it'salready been explained, and is it not common sense?

it's like a bmw forum...

...hmmm must use fog lights in all conditions!

Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down

I think thats where I'm going wrong, not using my brake lights when i brake :\

Well, ill introduce myself 1st, names Dave from Glasgow and i am now the proud owner of my 1st Celica GT4 st185 import in red! still got my grey/black st182 and i regularly have turned to this forum for some info on how to do stuff etc, u guys know ur stuff so cheers!

anyways, i had to comment about this having the fogs on "cuz it looks cool" i have to admit i think it looks cool, but as so many ppl have stated it is the law and i speak 1st hand because when i was younger i got busted for havin the foggers on and the policemen were kind enough to give me a £30 bux fine and some points to stick on my license for which i was very grateful for.... :unsure: in some opinions i deserved it...just gutted! anyways the nice police man also told me all about foggers and that they have 60w bulbs and anyone caught in their way would be simply dazzled! which exlplains why the police car had to swerve across to myside of the road (i am not kidding!) and corner me forcing me to stop right there in the middle of the road!

....but yeah nice to part of the GT4 crew! :yahoo:

Dave

Edited by Demonic Angel
Advertised car for sale without being a paid-up member

Judging by "badboyts" post he is clearly illiterate, perhaps he is unable to read the Highway Code? Alternatively it may just go to prove that people that drive with their fog lights on when they are not needed are chav scum!

I personally REALLY hate it and think everyone seen doing it should suffer on the spot castration. I look forward to getting a brace of roof and bull bar lights on my truck so I can return them the favour of burning their retinas out at the flick of a switch when I see them.

I look forward to getting a brace of roof and bull bar lights on my truck so I can return them the favour of burning their retinas out at the flick of a switch when I see them.

hahaha brilliant! :lol:

thanks "karma" but i am not illiterate,

and i REALLY hate wagon drivers who have 3000 spot lights and green l.e.ds all over the front, maybe there the chav

scum? or maybe volvo drivers or motorbikers who think its safer to drive round all the time with lights on blinding people?

i never drive with them on, im just saying if everyone else can burn my retinas out and get away with it why cant i do it to them?

Yeah totally agree. Whenever i see some fool with his foglights on i give them Full Beam right back.

i never drive with them on, im just saying if everyone else can burn my retinas out and get away with it why cant i do it to them?

If someone blinds me with their lights, the last thing I'm gonna do is return the compliment. If I can't see where the road is, I'd like to know that the driver of the car coming the other way has some idea, or else there's a good chance we're going to meet head on.

PS - day running lights are completely different to fogs - their design creates a light that's designed to be visble to others rather than a beam that lights up the road ahead, and which could dazzle oncoming traffic. Even normal headlights used as DRLs are better than fogs which, as I said above, tend not to be angled down as much as other lights.

or maybe volvo drivers or motorbikers who think its safer to drive round all the time with lights on blinding people?

It is a lot safer for a motorbiker to have his lights on especially at dusk and dawn. I think you are on your own in being blinded by normal lights.

or maybe volvo drivers or motorbikers who think its safer to drive round all the time with lights on blinding people?

Volvos actually have the lights turn on automatically when the car is started.... its a Scandinavian thing

Volvos actually have the lights turn on automatically when the car is started.... its a Scandinavian thing

also a lot of bike lights are on all the time newer ones and older sports replica bikes ...

I have to admit thinking that if you need to put your fogs on to get any kind of cool feeling then...

a.) you need to buy a better car

or

b.) you need to work on your ego and self esteem issues

or

both

:thumbsup:

First things first, your argument for having them on in the first place is lame. I have never been blinded by dipped lights on any vehicle, but more to the point, if it happens is not done specifically to blind you or anyone else for that matter. You want your foggies on and your not allowed so you feel compelled to fight your corner, just admit you simply like the look!!! I suspect your a scally due to your text type, but as you get older you'll learn! lol

I personally think cars look better with fogs on but as it annoys me when others do it and its illegal so I dont do it out of courtesy/common sense!

Is it not possible to convert the fogs to normal driving lights (someone touched on this earlier)??!!?!?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links