Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Moderating Nanny Forum Etc...

Karma Supra

Why, when the fog light thrad had wound down and everyone has said all that was to be said, was the thread locked??? There was really no need for it, people have agreed to disagree... Locking it doesn't gain anything apart from making people think its "nannying"

Why was it locked? I didn't even want to post any more but find it annoying that a mod has intterfered with something that had boiled down anyway....... again....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pompey Gaz

• Captain Weirdbeard

• JappyBeast

• T V O R

Thats my point.... it had turned light hearted etc and its been shut, and I can't understand why... is the point of a forum not to discuss?

was it locked :o ... whyyyy? ... ye i agree, thats the whole point of threads, i thought it was quite interesting really, ive asked loads of people what they think about fogs ... friends, family, women outside the school ... ive had so many different reactions; ... from people absolutely hating it, to people not giving it any thought and it not bothering them! ... i enjoyed watching it progress :) ... hadnt it run its natural course any way?

I can't really understand locking it, if people don't want to use it it will not be used, if they do want to use it then it shouldn't be locked. The only reason I'd think to lock would be if it had just turned into people insulting each other, which it wasn't really, we were mostly just discussing it in an adult way (even if we are discussing doing something slightly childish)...

Unfortunately we have certain trigger happy moderators who ‘In their opinion’ decide to lock threads when ‘they’ think it’s suitable. There is a pattern developing.

If the original thread was left alone they tend to die a natural death or get resolved by the people involved.

This practice of locking threads because of trigger happy mod/s then spurs other threads to appear (like this one) and then cause unrest bad feeling and disruption.

Annoying – Very :ffs:

Say anything – Get your post altered/deleted/locked :ffs:

You will notice it’s the same moderator/s that likes to throw their virtual ‘Power’ around.

Must be a blast down the pub, “I am stopping this conversation because I don’t agree with it”

Some members that are promoted to moderators are naturals; others obviously are not as we have seen over the years.

It was me who posted the last post and closed the thread down after considered thought and not on a "trigger happy" reaction, but for the reason stated in my last post .

ALSO............Trucker jack had called for the last word from Badboyts who had thanked all for taking part in the thread.

It was becoming very messy and as I said, "Done to death" and was going absolutely nowhere.

Other moderators had warned that the use of personal insults would result in the thread being closed.

The insults continued (Just re-read through the thread if you dissagree)...................so the thread was closed to prevent things getting out of hand............Live with it. :)

<snip>

we were mostly just discussing it in an adult way

<snip>

Just to stir things up again (not).....

If you draw a line under the word "mostly" above I think you will realise that you have just answered the question.

Cheers

not being an '***** licker' cause im certainly not butttt ... there were a couple of insults directed at certain people, when its not really needed ...

maybe this should be a lesson (the closing of the thread) ... not to throw insults at people (im sure theres a few of you out there that may have seen this happen a few times) ... yes have your say but dont insult people in a direct manner, other people that are reading the thread can feel uncomfortable with a situation that can seem like its getting out of hand!

A thread closure is something that a lot of thought is put into and not just a "spur-of-the-moment" thing - otherwise we wouldnt be impartial.

There are arguments to both sides, no-one else really had anything to add to the thread as all had been said and theres only so much "Fog lights in no fog are naff" vs "I'm 18 and think fog lights are cool" that you can discuss.

Saying that, it did look like it was naturally dying....

Still, Steve made a judgement call - as a moderator its his prerogative to do that and unless there is a serious reason why a thread should not be closed, then if one of us feels the need to close it, we will. We'll maybe ask a fellow mod or Les for advice beforehand but to be honest, if we consulted everyone on the forum whether we should close a thread or not, we'd be here all day....

And to be fair, I have better things to do with my time than inform members I'll be closing threads. If I think they're getting out of hand, I will close it and if anyone has a grievance, they can bring it up with Les directly and ultimately, Managements' decision on the subject is final. :thumbsup:

If I wanted to nanny I'd go birth myself some proper children.... not you lot.... :lol:

A thread closure is something that a lot of thought is put into and not just a "spur-of-the-moment" thing - otherwise we wouldnt be impartial.

lol3.gif

I have sympathy with the mods here. I was a moderator on another car club forum and it really is a 'no win' situation. Whatever happens someone somewhere will not be happy.

Leave the thread open and someone gets narked about what are perceived as insults.... lock it down and others get miffed that they cannot continue to add to it :huh:

If a mod makes a call and either deletes something or locks something then ask the moderating team why via pm, it does not add anything to the forum by picking over things such as is being done here.

We all have and are entitled to our opinions but sometimes, just sometimes, those opinions are best kept to ourselves.

OK I am off to sit back in the corner ;)

If I wanted to nanny I'd go birth myself some proper children.... not you lot.... :lol:

just like to let you know, 'cause you're probably not aware ... but there is actually no such thing as 'proper' children :lol:

I dunno what's wrong with people. Is there no such thing as "the Ref's decision is final" anymore?

OK, any human being can make a judgement call that may look skewed in one direction or another but where has that happened here? Even if a questionable call is made the ruling should not change for any circumstance, else the game will be held up forever. It's a principle that has been upheld for longer than I can remember.

Some people go ape though and cannot control themselves when they are in a herd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLdAyPLouEA

]getting set for flames[

Oh well. I suppose it would be boring without some sour grapes here and there.

what another pointless thread

no offence to you karma cause i can see why you started the thread

and

no offence to the mods cause i understand how hard it is to stay neutral on topics (as i am trying to do so here)

but this thread wont fix the issue of "excessive moderating"

it will just cause grudges :(

come on lads (n lasses) play nicely we are all here cause we have a common interest in cars

Fair point,

The idea was not to cause grudges, just a gentle reminder to mods not to treat us like kids that are incapable of making our own calls.

The other thread had pretty much run its course and was just down to banter, was a bit ofa laugh etc... there was no reason to lock it.... if anything that is more likely to cause grudges!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links