Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise On Start Up

crazy_chick

Hi guys,

Have owned my new 1.3 Yaris Zinc for 6 months and done so far 3k mileage.

When i start the engine up from cold, it sounds like a bag of nails, really rough for a second. Have took it back to Mr T and they said there's nowt wrong, all Yaris' sound like it, it is the oil reaching the engine. My b/f's best mate who is a mechanic says a new car shouldn't sound like it and it could be low oil pressure, which means, either new bearings, new oil filter or oil pump.

Not sure who I should believe and don't want to leave it too long in case I am doing long term damage to the engine.

Hope you guys can advise me.

Oh, and please recommend a good tyre shine!

Cheers,

Crazy Chick

i no the noise your talking about the noise happens because the oil pump has to force the oil up to the head to lub the cams this takes a second or two

Hi guys,

Have owned my new 1.3 Yaris Zinc for 6 months and done so far 3k mileage.

When i start the engine up from cold, it sounds like a bag of nails, really rough for a second. Have took it back to Mr T and they said there's nowt wrong, all Yaris' sound like it, it is the oil reaching the engine. My b/f's best mate who is a mechanic says a new car shouldn't sound like it and it could be low oil pressure, which means, either new bearings, new oil filter or oil pump.

Not sure who I should believe and don't want to leave it too long in case I am doing long term damage to the engine.

Hope you guys can advise me.

Oh, and please recommend a good tyre shine!

Cheers,

Crazy Chick

New one on me! I have had my Yaris for 5 years, no such noise!

I have had that sort of noise on older, cam chain vehicles, where the chain rattles for a few secs but never on a cambelt driven engine. I would worry a bit if I had. Get a second opinon, from a different Toyota dealer. If it is in warrenty, it wont matter wher you get it seen, Toyota warrenties are Europe-wide. :rolleyes:

New one on me! I have had my Yaris for 5 years, no such noise!

I have had that sort of noise on older, cam chain vehicles, where the chain rattles for a few secs but never on a cambelt driven engine. I would worry a bit if I had.

The 1.3 Yaris has a Cam Chain fitted...................but at 6 months should really not be making any noise

i no the noise your talking about the noise happens because the oil pump has to force the oil up to the head to lub the cams this takes a second or two

Hi all, Crazy_chicks b/f here, Thanks for all the replies. I have heard many a brand new engine start up before and this noise can only be described as metal against metal noise for half a second after start up. There is no way this car should be making this noise and main dealer says all yaris make this noise. Im not convinced. Im going to insist I hear another yaris start up and ask why does it this happen. This car has already had a new 'steering box' (toyotas own words). Toyota are not what they used to be - alas.

Gary

This car has already had a new 'steering box' (toyotas own words). Toyota are not what they used to be - alas.

Gary

They sure aint!

If you're getting no joy from your local dealer, as gar says, try taking it to a different toyota dealer and get them to have a look at it. If you still get nowhere, you could always phone up toyota uk, but if you still get nowhere then give it time and see if it gets worse. You'll still have 2 and a half years warranty on it.

As for tyre shine, Meguiars High Gloss Endurance Tyre Gel!

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly i cant afford a shiney 6month old yaris. Mine is a 51 reg 1.0 gs but I have started having the same issue. Formula is this:

Start from cold

Low temperature and cold engine

Long time since last start

so...

Engine starts fine but then once it turns over there is a metalic grinding noise

Noise lasts between half a second and 2 seconds.

Feels like a lifetime as you listen to it - everything in me feels that it is bad but I am no mechanic

Might be worth checking the bolts on the cat.

The g/f's Corolla developed its first problem last week and I couldn't figure it out at all; it was very noisy indeed when cold starting, but the noise would go away quite quickly once it warmed up. You could even leave it a few hours and it was fine, but first start in the morning sounded dreadful.

I thought it was possibly an oil feed problem to the rockers, starter motor jamming, or clutch release bearing as sometimes it would reappear for a moment when you pressed the clutch or let it up to its biting point. I wasn't confident about any of these causes though, but they were the only possibilities I could think of. I had thought at one point that the exhaust might have been loose, but it seemed to be quite secure to me.

Anyway, car went into Mr T today and they diagnosed broken bolts on the cat. I gues we can't say for certain it has fixed the problem, but we'll know for sure tomorrow morning. I'm surprised that this was the problem, but if they found that one or more of these bolts were snapped then, very possibly it was the cause.

The noise did last for a bit longer than a few seconds though, but was at its worst for about 5 seconds then tailed off quite quickly.

HTH.

The only time i hear a Yaris making the type of noise you describe is when i have done an oil change or headgasket on first start up.

As it sounds like the oil is taking longer than it should reaching the top end of the engine.

Has it had an oil change recently/ done loads of miles etc?

The dealership should be able to check the oil pressure using the hand held IT1 or IT2 tester on start up. ;)

Mart

rang the dealer -they said the same. If the oil is topped up and it makes that noise they believe its because the oil isnt getting to the top of the engine as quick. My mate says that if putting the key to the on position and wait a while then turn the car on it should give the oil pump a little bit of time to start pumping -he aint a mechanic either though so i dont know whether the oil pump turns on when you turn the electrics on.

rang the dealer -they said the same. If the oil is topped up and it makes that noise they believe its because the oil isnt getting to the top of the engine as quick. My mate says that if putting the key to the on position and wait a while then turn the car on it should give the oil pump a little bit of time to start pumping -he aint a mechanic either though so i dont know whether the oil pump turns on when you turn the electrics on.

This will make no diference at all. The oil pump is mechanical not electric.

The pump starts working when th engine is turning over.

Mart

This will make no diference at all. The oil pump is mechanical not electric.

The pump starts working when th engine is turning over.

Mart

Ask another dealer, if they sort it, don't go back to the shy-te one!

That will hurt 'em more then you coming back for a new engine!

Just to add that the Mr T diagnosis of the noise that our Rolla was correct; no more horrible noises at start-up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links