Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Ae92

Ptr1

that does look like a clean car and honest too.

as for roll cage i need one too. safety devices used to do one and i emailed them direct but was told i needed to go through one of there agents!!

looking at having one made, one tagged for 9.5sec 1/4 miles (wish i could get near making that useless) is about £900

• 2 weeks later...

you need to budget at least £6K to do it right (£2k for labour alone) but it obviously depends how much you get the bits for.

thats using a rev 3 engine (best as its 245bhp as std) this will factor in suspension upgrades and brake upgrades.

ive probably spent over £20k on the rolla now and still going

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya, I have a 91 ae92 gti with 32k genuine miles in red, completely standard with ftsh, it has had one owner for the first 15 years of its life until I bought it. I have it a while now but bought it to never sell it so dont drive it that often. Its completely original and not a spot of rust anywhere. I took it out today for a polish and they are a true classic and as ye say lovely to see them still around.

Re the supercharged topic here I have a 1998 4agze supercharged corolla which is a very lively machine. These two are kept company lol with a Celica GT4 st205 with a genuine 14k miles. I am trying to track down a mint ae82 and then I wil be happy lol.

AE92 - How many left? ...

hmmm....

...Does that include toys/models of them :D ?

If so :

CorollaFXGTKit.jpg

And then after a bit of work-

GTi.jpg

GTi2.jpg

...I really do need to get out more! :P

hey i have one of those kits too, reminds me of how the rolla looked when i got it

^

Hey thats great, you finally got one.

I remember you asking me about one in a post over a year ago.

Made it as your car yet?

nah just kept it how mine was when i got it , std.

id need god knows how many kits to make a replica of it currently :lol:

Where can I find that kit ??!! Great for playing around with body mods and I haven't built a decent car model for ages...

Here's my AE92 following it's new brakes and wheels, just got to fit the new tailgate and sort out the sunroof and that's the body done for the time being.

Suspension and under the bonnet after christmas.............................

corolla1.jpg

dreamcatcher Posted Nov 10 2007, 04:45 PM

Where can I find that kit ??!! Great for playing around with body mods and I haven't built a decent car model for ages...

Here's my AE92 following it's new brakes and wheels, just got to fit the new tailgate and sort out the sunroof and that's the body done for the time being.

The model kit was produced by Tamiya from 1988 to 1992. It has the part number 24073 and was a 'kerbside model' - no engine/opening bonnet. Occasionally they still come up at model fairs or the 'dreaded' eBay.

It is a 1/24th scale kit and is the only representation I know of in the 'toy/model' world of our AE92's.

Nice car, I see you have some front mudflaps fitted in some way. Toyota told me many moons ago that you cannot fit them to the front due to bodykit but I was so sick of the road filth up the side so I too fitted some makeshift ones on.

Tailgate rotten? I 've been hearing a lot of this of late, although I've never come across it myself.

This thread is good I was beginning to think there was none left! I haven't seen another AE92 GTi round my part of the 'woods' for over a year.

sweet lookin rolla, yep i had the dreaded rotten tailgate, fitted a brand new genuine one and after a couple of years i had bubbles on that one, seems the outer trim on the bottom of the rear screen rubs on the tailgate and eventually rubs through the paint, remove all traces and then put some sef adhesive clear acetate where it touches.

i got my kit from fleabay in the states but took like 2 months to arrive

Just realised that I bought my 'rolla from the guy who started this thread - hi Peter, how's your Gti doing ?

Yep, my tailgate is rotten as a pear, but I have a 100% rust-free replacement in my garage just awaiting finishing paint - unbelievably, I won it on eBay last year for 99p !!!! Felt so guilty when I picked it up that I gave the guy a tenner for it !!

He did give me a load of other bits as well, like headlights etc. which I'm happy to help people out with if necessary (I'm not advertising these items for sale here, just willing to help out if someone gets stuck)

Next on the list bodywise is to paint the skirts, bumpers and spoiler to match the rest of the body, plus get the sunroof panel replaced when I can find one to replace mine with !! If you've got one that is repairable I'd definately be interested. All that will have to wait till spring though due to money and the weather being too cold and wet for painting in my old garage.

I'll probably do the suspension before then though, as I'm currently running on lowered springs and std shocks, which isn't great - I quite fancy a Jamex kit as the price seems pretty good. Anyone got any other advice suspensionwise that's not going to break the bank ?

Will save the engine work until everything else is done, I'm just thinking along the lines of rebuilding the original 4AGE at present, but thoughts of a 4AGZE conversion do tempt me .......... ;)

Great to see that enthusiasm for the AE92 is so strong, are there any meets down South ?

Hoping I’m not boring or patronising anybody but I did this ‘buyer guide’ based on my own experiences for a few members in the past when asking “what to look for when buying a AE92 Corolla GTi.

So here is the ‘repost’ again – hope it is of help.

What to look for on a GTi (AE92). – based on my experiences!?

Bodywork:

The Corolla AE92 model is believed to be one of those cars whereby the top-of-the-range model rusts the worst – in other words the GTi version is believe to rust more than the ‘standard’ (e.g. GL); versions of the model!

I have a 1989 ‘G’ plater that I have owned over 14 approx years now and the only rust that I seem to be suffering is two spots on the front wings arches were the inner plastic arch bolts to them.

I heavily waxoiled mine when it was only 4 years old, plus I spray old engine oil (taken from the sumps of old British motorbikes) on the underside. I also periodically waxoil areas every so often and this appears to have paid dividends in later life as my car still hasn’t need panels, paintwork or welding … as yet (keeps fingers crossed!) despite being used as normal transport all year round!

However if the vehicle you are looking at has not had much ‘rust preventative measures’ then from what I have seen looking round scrapped versions round the scrapyards and repairs to friends GT/GTi’s in the past then check the following:

Sills - usually the rear area = M.O.T FAIL!

Inner rear sill and were torsion bar mounts = M.O.T FAIL!

Rear suspension/turret mount – this I have NOT come across myself but there have been warnings/mention of on certain forums = M.O.T FAIL (+ probably uneconomic repair!)

Tailgate – again not ever seen it myself but again examples of this have been mentioned on Jap car forums.

Rot in panel below backlights,

Windscreen surround - can rust along top

Sunroof – this was a problem when newish and was admitted by Toyota due to a problem of the seal ‘rubbing’ and they did do a ‘recall’ in about 1995 and it incorporated AE82’s, AE92’s and Celica’s unfortunately not everyone could be bothered to take there car in at the time (especially if “they couldn’t ‘see’ any rust”) so alas consecutive owners suffer. I took mine in back then and to this day my sun roof has never rusted.

Petrol filler pipe (from filler cap to petrol tank) - get underneath and check to see if heavily corroded or even leaking! This item as you will see is right in the ‘firing line’ of the rear wheel, roughly £100 approx. to replace (Toyota part only) plus every fitting it connects to will be rusted up as well. = M.O.T FAIL!

Mechanically:

Jumping out of 3rd and 5th is a problem on high milers (in fact was even mentioned in used buyers guides back in 1994).

Front wheel bearings – this again was mentioned in buyers guides when cars were still young. It appears there was a bad batch of bearings and thus only affected some cars; the problem was prevalent at around 40-50,000 miles. Of course most cars will have done more miles now and if needed replacing will have been done.

Rear callipers seizing their handbrake mechanism – MAJOR FAULT! Someone at Toyota should have been shot for the design of the rear calliper on the GTi! What appears to happen is the slide and mechanism gets dirty and seizes easily from it, so periodic cleaning (sometimes every 9 months) is required. This IS the major Achilles heel of this car!

Oil seal can leak around distributor area – it means removing distributor, if it’s just weeping – live with it!

Interior:

Very hard wearing, yet well finished, lovely multi-dial dash and superb supportive and comfortable seats (Two front seats from ‘scrappers’ seem to be desirable with Kit Car / hot rod and home car builders) Interior appears to have been designed to outlast the rest of the car!

Electrics:

Nothing/no problems - why should there be? … it’s Japanese!

Actually as regards electrical problems there appears to just be age related issues, such as wires going to map sensor cracking and the odd HT lead cracking up with age

As a drivers car I think a recent review in the Toyota enthusiasts magazine after carrying out a back-to-back test between the three 4AGE engine Corollas of the 80’s which was the AE86 GT vs AE82 GT vs AE92 GTi summed it up – they stated as a comfortable drivers ‘hot hatch’ which can be used as everyday transport round town or on motorways and swallow up long distance miles then the AE 92 GTi wins!

Of course I have to agree after over 14 years of commuting and motoring holidays abroad.

• 1 month later...

Suspension and under the bonnet after christmas.............................

corolla1.jpg

hey mate, u selling that car???

looks smashing!!!!!!!!!!

corolla1.jpg

hey mate, u selling that car???

looks smashing!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, due to unforseen circumstances, I am going to have to part with her. PM me if you're interested.

Hers one I used to own back in April2007.....

With 32k Full Toyota History ..... unmarked 100%

All mOT's from Toyota .. and only a elderly lady owner who passed it on to her son to sell.....

Lookin at it now im Gutted !!!!!!!!!

23042007136.jpg

23042007122.jpg

23042007128.jpg

not too hot on the GZE conversion but as far as im aware its fairly straight forward. john (ae11sr) has had one fitted to his AE111.

know what you mean about you dont see many about, is nice to see a clean one.

heres a couple of pics of the 3S-GTE conversion in mine

Toyota-Corolla-3SGTE-Engine-640.jpg

Corolla-3SGTE-1-640.jpg

wow! that is a nice car with nice engine. here in the philippines, we call it monster car. i have a friend with the same engine with yours & he's good in terms of time in race lap. whether, it is drag, circuit or slalom. etc.

lookis nice dude (and call it race soiled not dirty, sounds better :) )

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Another of my collection, this is my road car and used daily. Ok arches slightly crusty and tailgate too though got a spare to go on soon. Anyone got a nice white sunroof panel they want to sell ? Need one as mine is a horror !

I picked up a AE92 levin 4agze the other week

CIMG1983.jpg

unfortunately I think its a bit too far gone to save, its rust free, but it has a list of mechanicals :( i'll have a good look next weekend to see if it can be saved, be a shame to break it.

here's mine when i got it... currently going under a full and expensive restore... new front wings, new 1/4 panel, all skirts bumpers off and all signs of rust grinded out (which wasn't much compared to the outside), Fully painted, All wheels refurb'd, car undersealed/waxoyled etc..etc...

from this:

p1000398smallcj3.jpg

to this: but still got quite a bit to do.

dsc00174dd2.jpg