Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3

anchorman

Hiya Anchorman et All :)

This thread is just what I am looking for and so very helpful, thanks :)

I have seen many part numbers being quoted and as my check strap has broken, I would like to replace it with the one which allows the door to open 90 degrees.

I have an 05 RAV4 XT3 5 Door Diesel Model and wondered whether this is Part No 68650-42070? Also is the supplier you mentioned above, still the same one?

Many thanks

C

I have seen many part numbers being quoted and as my check strap has broken, I would like to replace it with the one which allows the door to open 90 degrees.

I have an 05 RAV4 XT3 5 Door Diesel Model and wondered whether this is Part No 68650-42070? Also is the supplier you mentioned above, still the same one?

Many thanks

C

Yours is probably different but the instructions for fitting are described in the text (earlier model).

Our mate Parts King or "Kingo" from Lindop Bros will identify the correct one.

Use the "send me a message" link at the top right of this page. He will post one to you at a discounted rate;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showuser=34014

• Like 1

Many thanks

C

Yours is probably different but the instructions for fitting are described in the text (earlier model).

Our mate Parts King or "Kingo" from Lindop Bros will identify the correct one.

Use the "send me a message" link at the top right of this page. He will post one to you at a discounted rate;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showuser=34014

Just in case Kingo doesnt have one you can get them from JAPARTS see LINK I know the photo shows a 4.1 but they have them for all models. mine arrived 2 days later + was an O/E part :thumbsup: Stew

Just a thought..I believe Anchs fitted a std 4.3 strap to a 4.2 which gave 80% opening, you would need to confirm this but if that would do, I have one you can have :thumbsup: Stew

That is correct Stew.

In this case you have to knock the pin out of the end of the strap because the anchor is slightly different. A new 90 deg strap is the best option.

• 10 months later...

Nice to see the good instructions for the 4.3 Anchorman.

I replaced my 90deg strap with the original in my 4.2 before selling it in the hope that I could use it on my newer 4.3. However, it looks as though you can't remove the pin in the 4.3 as it appears burred over. I suppose this is why this version comes complete with the main body fixing. Has anyone modified one of these to fit or is it it a case of buying the 4.3 version?

• 1 year later...

Cheers for this Don - you are the man. I fitted mine today and it was a doddle and what a transformation it has made. I also applied some reflective tape to the door just in case.

For those that are trying this and are worried about scratching the plastic door card - then this is what you need - http://www.bojotoolseurope.com/ usually on eBay for about £15 and great for no scratch damage to plastics!

• 8 months later...

Wow a thirty minute job that took 30 minutes! Many thanks for the instructions and post sharing your experience.

• 1 year later...

just done this, easy job to do. makes a difference bought the part off e bay for 56 pounds delivered the next day. just waiting for the reflective red strips!

Thanks anchorman!

I love forums like this!

• 7 years later...

This is an old but still very useful post (although one or two links no longer seem to work).  The title refers to modifying the 4.3 model to enable the rear door to open wider.  Bbut the discussion also goes into how the same change can be done on the 4.2.

I have recently acquired a 2004 RAV4 - so the 4.2 version - and plan to adapt the rear door check-strap/stay.  I have read the guide carefully.  I think it would be helpful to have precision over exactly which replacement part(s) are suitable - especially as they are not cheap!

This guide says that the correct part for the 4.3 model (2005-12) is 68650-42070.

Some sellers now list a "tailgate check strap conversion kit" for the 4.3 as part no 68650-42071.  What is the difference?

Our own expert @anchorman has apparently fitted the replacement door-check-strap designed for the 4.3 model to a 4.2, but it needed some modification. See his post of 23 Sept 2007 in this thread.

This guide also says that the right part for the 4.2 (2004 and earlier) is 68650-42040.  But it does look a bit shorter than the 'conversion kit' part....

Can anyone - perhaps @Parts-King? - shed any light on this and clarify and confirm which parts are right for which models of vehicle?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, br1anst0rm said:

This is an old but still very useful post (although one or two links no longer seem to work).  The title refers to modifying the 4.3 model to enable the rear door to open wider.  Bbut the discussion also goes into how the same change can be done on the 4.2.

I have recently acquired a 2004 RAV4 - so the 4.2 version - and plan to adapt the rear door check-strap/stay.  I have read the guide carefully.  I think it would be helpful to have precision over exactly which replacement part(s) are suitable - especially as they are not cheap!

This guide says that the correct part for the 4.3 model (2005-12) is 68650-42070.

Some sellers now list a "tailgate check strap conversion kit" for the 4.3 as part no 68650-42071.  What is the difference?

Our own expert @anchorman has apparently fitted the replacement door-check-strap designed for the 4.3 model to a 4.2, but it needed some modification. See his post of 23 Sept 2007 in this thread.

This guide also says that the right part for the 4.2 (2004 and earlier) is 68650-42040But it does look a bit shorter than the 'conversion kit' part....

Can anyone - perhaps @Parts-King? - shed any light on this and clarify and confirm which parts are right for which models of vehicle?

I’ll let Kingo answer the parts questions but regarding the missing photos, they were hosted by photobucket who changed from free to subscription so they were lost.  

68650-42040 is a standard 4.2 check strap

68650-42071 is the LHD version for the 4.3 model, the LHD version opens wider, these were never a conversion as such

The 4.2 LHD version is no longer available, you can get the 4.3 strap, but they are expensive at around £162 

There are people online who do copy versions, I don't have any links sorry

Thanks to both @anchorman and @Parts-King for those replies.

The loss of Photobucket pictures is something that has afflicted many forums.  Frustrating, but I guess there isn't much that can be done about it....

The situation regarding alternative check-straps or door-stays looks pretty unpromising, at least for those (like me) who have a 4.2 model vehicle of 2004 or earlier. 

I grabbed a 68650-42040 check strap from eBay because it was listed as "... Check Strap Boot Wide Opening..." , and on the basis of the earlier post in this thread which gave that part number as the 'right' one to fit to a 4.2 if you wanted to have the door open wider.  But when I looked at the actual length (I haven't attempted to fit it yet), that raised my suspicion that it wasn't any longer than the standard one. So the eBay listing seems to have been misleading.

If the 4.2 LHD part enabling wider opening is no longer available (and what would its part number have been if I wanted to search?) - then there are now only two ways to get a 4.2 rear door to open wider. 

Either get the (longer) OEM check strap designed for the 4.3 model, which is either 68650-42070, the part Anchorman identified,  or 68650-42071, the one intended for LHD vehicles, and modify its fixing-plate (how exactly ???) to install it on a 4.2.  Both now very expensive....

Or go searching for a non-OEM copy-version substitute (which would presumably be based on the no-longer-available check strap designed for the 4.2 LHD model) and hope that it will fit.

A choice between devil and deep blue sea.  I'm already thinking, probably not worth the hassle...