Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi All Dad Just Bought A T Sport Road Noise

andylew0

Hi all my dad has just bought a 54 plate T-sport with 11k on the clock. He went with my mother to pick it up on saturday and on the way home on the motorway noticed how noisey it is...He fetched the car up to me on saturday night to have a look as i use to be a fitter and all i could see was the rear tyres have worn a bit unevenly...looks like it's due to incorect psi...Anyway had a drive myself but not on the motorway ..i suggested swopping the wheels front to back as he says all the noise seems to be coming from the rear. We have done this and he went for a drive yesterday and says it is better but still loud even to the point of having to raise your voice while travelling it even gave my mother a headache so the came off the motorway...I have done a good search of the site but can't really find anything.Anybody have any ideas as he is contemplating taking the car back as he is planning on keeping it for a few years but if it's going to be this noisey then he will get rid...any help would be greatly appreciated...sorry for the long post just want to get it sorted...Thanks Andrew :D

Hmmm well a thorough test drive before purchase would have flagged up this issue. I suppose the Yaris TS does have more road noise than some cars but it depends what you're used to driving. Compared to other small hatchbacks I wouldn't say there's much difference. There's not a lot of sound deadening (if any?) around the rear wheel arches to keep the noise out. In mine, you can hear the back brakes working when you come to a halt but they've always been that way.

I suppose you could ask to drive another Yaris to put your mind at rest. Is it still on the original Bridgestones?

Hmmm well a thorough test drive before purchase would have flagged up this issue. I suppose the Yaris TS does have more road noise than some cars but it depends what you're used to driving. Compared to other small hatchbacks I wouldn't say there's much difference. There's not a lot of sound deadening (if any?) around the rear wheel arches to keep the noise out. In mine, you can hear the back brakes working when you come to a halt but they've always been that way.

I suppose you could ask to drive another Yaris to put your mind at rest. Is it still on the original Bridgestones?

Thanks for the reply...

yeah still on the original Bridgestone tyres...problem with the test drive was there was not any nice open roads to take it on around the dealers..he had an A class prior to this and has had loads of cars over the years all different makes and none have had a noise to the level where you find you having to raise your voice to speak to the passenger lol or to even give my mother a headache :D Are the Bridgestone tyres prone to this ? i have read about soundproofing it but on a newish car is crazy imo..Thanks andrew

softer tyres will help but they won't last long.

The yaris is noisy to start off with, as the gear ratios are pretty short so it revs pretty high in 5th especially when driving at high speeds. About 3000rpm at 70 and 4000rpm at 80, compared to 2500rpm at 70 in the 1.3ltr. .

TRD make a final gear ratio which will lower the revs a touch so should be a quieter drive, just depends whether your dad wants to spend on the car or not.

softer tyres will help but they won't last long.

The yaris is noisy to start off with, as the gear ratios are pretty short so it revs pretty high in 5th especially when driving at high speeds. About 3000rpm at 70 and 4000rpm at 80, compared to 2500rpm at 70 in the 1.3ltr. .

TRD make a final gear ratio which will lower the revs a touch so should be a quieter drive, just depends whether your dad wants to spend on the car or not.

It's not engine noise..yes it does rev higher than most cars in top and could do with a 6th gear..been on the phine to a mate who owns a tyre garage and he reckons it's the tyres ,as he has had a good few problems with the Bridgestone ponteza tyres :D

or dynamat the rear of the car, especially the arches, that should quieten it down

or dynamat the rear of the car, especially the arches, that should quieten it down

Yeah going to give this a go after he has had the tyres replaced :D

I've noticed a reduction in road noise since I changed my tyres from the cheapy Vikings that were on there when I bought the car to Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Had four toyo proxies fitted today job done :D Thanks for the replies guys will try and get the old man to sign up once he has mastered the pc :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Had four toyo proxies fitted today job done :D Thanks for the replies guys will try and get the old man to sign up once he has mastered the pc :rolleyes:

Just curious to how much you paid for the proxes,i got 2 from mytyres.com for £88 was this a good buy.

Just curious to how much you paid for the proxes,i got 2 from mytyres.com for £88 was this a good buy.

£36 per corner :D

Was gonna say to fit new tyres... v-tread patterns on small cars are much better at keeping noise out.