Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Enabling Phone Function While Driving

Sinttruijen

Toyota has a big thing with safety, but some safety features are a bit extreme and overdone....

Finally i managed to upload my complete phonebook into the phone system of the Auris B) , but while driving i cant even operate dailing numbers out of the phonebook :o

Ok,

Dialing complete phone numbers while driving is not safe.

Setting system settings while driving is not safe.

But not being able to dail phonebook entries is a bit overdone safety :P

Is there a way ( patching.etc..?) to activate dailing phonebook entries of my Auris?

Thanks in advance,

Toyota has a big thing with safety, but some safety features are a bit extreme and overdone....

Finally i managed to upload my complete phonebook into the phone system of the Auris B) , but while driving i cant even operate dailing numbers out of the phonebook :o

Ok,

Dialing complete phone numbers while driving is not safe.

Setting system settings while driving is not safe.

But not being able to dail phonebook entries is a bit overdone safety :P

Is there a way ( patching.etc..?) to activate dailing phonebook entries of my Auris?

Thanks in advance,

Hey there,

i agree that it is a real pain not being able to use the phone whilst driving, even the passenger cannot do it for you!!

A way round i have found is that if you put any of your numbers into speed dial within the auris phone system you CAN call the number from there. If you press the call button whilst driving it will bring up any numbers which you have in speed dial and allow you to press the name to make the call.

Hope this helps

mark

Hey there,

i agree that it is a real pain not being able to use the phone whilst driving, even the passenger cannot do it for you!!

A way round i have found is that if you put any of your numbers into speed dial within the auris phone system you CAN call the number from there. If you press the call button whilst driving it will bring up any numbers which you have in speed dial and allow you to press the name to make the call.

Hope this helps

mark

Thanks mate , it's indeed a workaround for 16 phone numbers :thumbsup:

Leaves in my case 716 numbers unused in the phonebook entry :crybaby:

So, let's hope someone still can find a way to enable the phone functions while driving :yahoo:

Hey there,

Hope this helps

mark

Thanks mate , it's indeed a workaround for 16 phone numbers :thumbsup:

Leaves in my case 716 numbers unused in the phonebook entry :crybaby:

So, let's hope someone still can find a way to enable the phone functions while driving :yahoo:

WOW!!!! Thats a lot of numbers!!

I have looked all over the net trying to find a way of operating the navigation system whilst the vehicle is in motion (not that i would but my wife could programme it while im driving) but i couldnt find a thing. I even managed to find the engineer menu on the system itself but that doens't even offer the option of overriding the safety function of disabling everything whilst the car is in motion.

If indeed you do find a way then please share it with us, likewise if i find a way i will let you know

regards

Mark

I have looked all over the net trying to find a way of operating the navigation system whilst the vehicle is in motion (not that i would but my wife could programme it while im driving) but i couldnt find a thing. I even managed to find the engineer menu on the system itself but that doens't even offer the option of overriding the safety function of disabling everything whilst the car is in motion.

If indeed you do find a way then please share it with us, likewise if i find a way i will let you know

regards

Mark

Same here, I've only had the T180 for 2 weeks and I'm seriously considering returning the car for a refund of the sat-nav as it is sooooo useless. I used to have a Nokia 616 kit and a Garmin GPS on my T-Sport Celica which cost 1/5th of the Toyota unit and was absolutely fantastic. Toyota seem to think that this is how it should be, I guess unless we kick up a fuss and cost them money, that's how it'll stay.

I guess the only solution is to put a switch on the VSS wire feeding the head unit. Now the toruble is, I've not been able to get hold of anyone with the technical reference to find out which wire it is :( I'd be willling to fish around a bit though if I could get at the head unit plugs.

So, I've no idea how to get the head unit out on the Auris and don't really want to be the first to "experiment". So help needed!

Same here, I've only had the T180 for 2 weeks and I'm seriously considering returning the car for a refund of the sat-nav as it is sooooo useless. I used to have a Nokia 616 kit and a Garmin GPS on my T-Sport Celica which cost 1/5th of the Toyota unit and was absolutely fantastic. Toyota seem to think that this is how it should be, I guess unless we kick up a fuss and cost them money, that's how it'll stay.

I guess the only solution is to put a switch on the VSS wire feeding the head unit. Now the toruble is, I've not been able to get hold of anyone with the technical reference to find out which wire it is :( I'd be willling to fish around a bit though if I could get at the head unit plugs.

So, I've no idea how to get the head unit out on the Auris and don't really want to be the first to "experiment". So help needed!

Rewiring would be indeed a good option without to modify the VSS too much. I found for the Prius some nice sollutions and servicecodes ( long life google !!), but i dont know if the will work for the Auris. the services code i already tested and is not available in the auris VSS options :( . So wiring is the next step....

Can anyone o nthe forum but up a wiring scheme for the VSS on a T180? :thumbsup:

To be continued >>>>

To be continued >>>>

Right, tried it... and it works. There's a two wire connector on the bottom right of the sat nav unit. The purple wire on this connector is the VSS. Put a switch on it to override the navigation and telephone limitations while moving... you can mke the Auris work as it should!

:) :) :)

Sadly if you leave it off, the navigation gets very confused, but for 30 seconds or so, it's not too frustrating :)

BTW, the techdoc section gives a link to the Accessory Installation (AIM) for the sat nav to get all the info about removing/fitting the unit. My tip is to remove the side trims at the top by pulling them towards you... the sides don't detach easily and there's little or no play to pry without damage.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a poke in the dark. On the newer US Prius, the navi appears to be basically the same as in the Auris. On one of the "hidden" screens there is an even more hidden key sequence that can enable the locked in motion functions.

I think I saw the key sequence on Prius Chat or Prius online some time ago. Maybe worth checking out.

http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Pri...gation-Gray-out

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links