Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Gearbox Problem

DazzaP

Hey there everyone, haven't been around here for ages as I bought a Punto GT Turbo, which being a FIAT has given me enough problems to deal with ;)

Anyways, 2000 1.0s Yaris, 36k miles. Driven hard from time to time but always serviced etc.

Last week or so i've noticed a slight whine from the gearbox in first. Its not very loud, say the heater or stereo was on its completely inaudible. Sounds not unlike the sound from reverse gear, but much quieter and only EVER happens in first. You can pop the car out of gear and hear the whine 'tail off' and then without using the clutch tip the gearknob forward towards first and hear the noise pick up again to match the revs.

Any ideas?

mine does this 2

well used to till i got the exhaust so i cant hear it now

so technically mines done it for 30k n no problems so wouldnt worry about it think its just normal

• 3 weeks later...

Ive grinded my box now twice from 1st into 2nd accidentally. What kind of damage are we talking?

Also, while not good for the gearbox, they can be changed from 1st straight to 5th. You just have to do over 25 in 1st first :unsure:

I love dropping it to 3rd on the motorway and then flooring it to go round vehicles, get's to 70 in no time :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links