Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking At Getting A T Sport.

Tyranical

Hi guys, New to the site here and i've recently been looking at getting a T sport and just have a few questions i was hoping you could answer.

I've just got my first years no claims and currently drive a 1.1 saxo, was planning on getting another saxo (probably a VTR) but thought better of it.

From what i read, a Yaris is actually faster than a VTR, correct? And yet the insurance on a TS is much cheaper than the VTR because TS's aren't seen as a 'boy racer' car.

Also, the difference between the first yaris and the errm, 2003 facelift with the teardrop lights etc, are they only cosmetic changes? and something to do with the airbags i think i read somewhere too, but nothing power related or anything?

I like the look of the Yaris but i think its ride height is too high as standard, i know the T sport is another -20mm but I still think it sits too high. Can you go lower without having to have arch work done and refuse entry to the backseat of your car to your friends?

Finally... I am planning to get a blue T sport... purely because i love these alloys:

yaristurbo1.jpg

Does anyone know what alloys they are, and how easy they are to get hold of etc.

I had a load of questions but they've escaped my mind now, but those 2 will do for starters.

I look forward to your replies,

Thanks in advance,

Matt

t sport should pi**s all over the vtr as its got 115bhp and the vtr is 100bhp and only 8valve but all depends on the drivers really

as for getting that car in the pic lol

good luck its a yaris rs turbo which is basically code for a mint car thats almost impossible to come by

im unsure if there are any in england but i no that a lad from france has jst got one

you maybe able to order the alloys from toyota but at supid cost

as for your question on lowering it all depends on your wheels im on standard 15" and my cars down 40mm (looks a lot lower compared to standard ones mind)

heres it before

oro1eq.jpg

after

2zny2vs.jpg

and with one fatty in the back lol

xolkci.jpg

and with coil overs ( charlies car)

34eevqq.jpg

basically shows you what its going to be like if you have it with standard/lowered/or coilover suspention

i have no problems with arches rubbing and im sure there no problem with 16"s it only when you put 17" on a yaris it rubbs and they look silly as the cars to small

im sure its possible to go 60mm on coilovers and possibly more but the lower you go the more your car gets battered

mines only down 40mm and i struggle on speed bumps i have to slow down loads and multistory car parks are a big no no lol

as for the ts VS the vtr you would deffs be making the right choice with the yaris

hope this helps

t sport should pi**s all over the vtr as its got 115bhp and the vtr is 100bhp and only 8valve but all depends on the drivers really

as for getting that car in the pic lol

good luck its a yaris rs turbo which is basically code for a mint car thats almost impossible to come by

im unsure if there are any in england but i no that a lad from france has jst got one

you maybe able to order the alloys from toyota but at supid cost

as for your question on lowering it all depends on your wheels im on standard 15" and my cars down 40mm (looks a lot lower compared to standard ones mind)

heres it before

oro1eq.jpg

after

2zny2vs.jpg

and with one fatty in the back lol

xolkci.jpg

and with coil overs ( charlies car)

34eevqq.jpg

basically shows you what its going to be like if you have it with standard/lowered/or coilover suspention

i have no problems with arches rubbing and im sure there no problem with 16"s it only when you put 17" on a yaris it rubbs and they look silly as the cars to small

im sure its possible to go 60mm on coilovers and possibly more but the lower you go the more your car gets battered

mines only down 40mm and i struggle on speed bumps i have to slow down loads and multistory car parks are a big no no lol

as for the ts VS the vtr you would deffs be making the right choice with the yaris

hope this helps

Lol yeh i knew the pic was the turbo one but i thought they looked the same from the front and it was a good pic to show the alloys i was on about. Isn't the only outside difference on the turbo the rear spoiler?

Your car looks mint, 40mm looks perfect, no problems e.g. having to go stupid ways to avoid roads with sudden inclines etc? I've never had a lowered car before, and i don't want to have the problem of not being able to go down certain roads because speed bumps are too high or the gradient gets too steep too fast.

Are there any common faults with Yaris's? I was looking at getting one with less than 50k on the clock, but thats because on saxo's after 50k things start to go wrong, i'd assume its much later in its life with a yaris because its a toyota, albeit built in the country of appalling build quality that is france?

hey mate.

first off a good choice in car. theres genuinly no doubt in my mind that if you buy a yaris ts youll love it!

to be fair the saxo vtr's do feel alot faster than i expected after going in one, but a mate of mines had his 5 minutes and already the engine is knocking (what a suprise) also from what ive heard off other people the yts can make mince meat out of a vtr :)

i had my t sport lowered a few days ago on tein springs 35mm on the front 38mm on the back, and the ride height looks fine, no scrubbing problems (although havnt had more than 3 in the car yet) and speedbumps seem to not be a problem.

obviously go for a car with the lowest possible mileage because its always the best bet. when looking for mine i was told there wernt any common faults so id stick by that and say no.

the yts is a very understated car, as you said its not seen as a ''boyracer'' type car so its great on insurance, also pretty good on petrol, tax is good. its just a wicked package..

anyways im rambling (as you can tell i love my ts :P)

all the best finding something!

-Josh

I see your from chester, I'm just down the road in wrexham.

The yaris in the pic is the phase 2 turbo, it's widely available in japan and some parts of europe but unfortunately not here in the uk.

The above car has the front bumper, wheels, rear spoiler and also the turbo different from the uk versions.

here's a pic of a phase 2, or phase 1 facelift

2181679413.jpg

and here's the phase 1

YARIST.jpg

I would get the yaris over a saxo anyday, much better build quality and it won't break down everyday.

It's only group 7 insurance, I'm not sure what the saxo is.

And just to correct you, the t-sport chassis is 20mm lower not the actual springs or dampners.

I see your from chester, I'm just down the road in wrexham.

The yaris in the pic is the phase 2 turbo, it's widely available in japan and some parts of europe but unfortunately not here in the uk.

The above car has the front bumper, wheels, rear spoiler and also the turbo different from the uk versions.

here's a pic of a phase 2, or phase 1 facelift

2181679413.jpg

and here's the phase 1

YARIST.jpg

I would get the yaris over a saxo anyday, much better build quality and it won't break down everyday.

It's only group 7 insurance, I'm not sure what the saxo is.

And just to correct you, the t-sport chassis is 20mm lower not the actual springs or dampners.

Ah.. good old wrexham... you don't support the football team do you? lol.

VTR is group 7 insurance too but it also has the boy racer tag on it, would cost me about 1200 to insure a VTR, i can insure a TS for 950! (this is TPFT as i'm only 19 with 1 years no claims :P)

lol dont worry about a yaris and mileage, of course lower is better but mines on 122,000 and its still as sweet as my mams is on 30k :D

also nope never had any problems with inclines and stuff just with silly bumps in the road lol

Good choice in car mate, I'd have a YTS over a VTR anyday of the week!

Little off topic, but there was a Yari T-pot that's just gone on eBay for a stupid price! 2001 reg, just over 40k on clock, chipped windscreen and few scratches but for the ridiculous price of £2750????!!!

Think you got the bhp the wrong way round ;)

He got them both wrong actually :P TS is 103bhp, and a VTR is 90bhp on mk1's and 99 on mk2's.

He got them both wrong actually :P TS is 103bhp, and a VTR is 90bhp on mk1's and 99 on mk2's.

Ah well we are all wrong at times lol Have you driven one yet..

Ah well we are all wrong at times lol Have you driven one yet..

No :( Theres a couple round my area that sound alright so i'm going to go and see one next weekend i think.

i was lucky looking for one for my old man took a week :D One thing he has picked up is how much road noise there is on the motorway ,but is lot beeter since he changed the tyres :D

oooo bugger lol ive tpye before i thought the book on the ts in "car" is 105bhp

the vtr was 98bhp mk1 and 100bhp mk2 im sure :S

Mk1 was 90 bhp, mk2 was 98bhp, i was wrong too just realised when u said :P

I've sent 3 replies and they don't show up for some reason...

Is the road noise really that bad on a yaris?

My old man seems to think so plus he has a buzzing coming from the dash....It is quieter than my zr up to 50 mph but is a bit noisey at 70 -80 mph tbh

Are there any common faults with Yaris's? I was looking at getting one with less than 50k on the clock, but thats because on saxo's after 50k things start to go wrong, i'd assume its much later in its life with a yaris because its a toyota, albeit built in the country of appalling build quality that is france?

The TS is built in Japan. :D

What exactly do you mean by this? I've seen you write it before but never understood. The springs/struts are the same as a normal Yaris but they're mounted higher up, if you know what I mean!?

I'm not to sure if it's the actual body or the underneath of the car or perhaps both that is 20mm lower to the ground.

I'm sure it said it even in the yaris brochure when the t-sports came out.

Someone who is more technically minded than me will know better.

And I don't know if they the struts are mounted higher up or not.

If you search for the very old lowering springs threads (3yrs plus) it's in there a lot, that's where I picked it up from, so if I am wrong blame the other members for posting about it.

Parts king may know as he works for toyota.

Well i spose it can't be any worse than my saxo... it needed a new backbox a while back, which i replaced myself, but didn't do it properly and it makes a REALLY loud noise lol, its a standard backbox though and people ask me if i've got some fancy induction kit on to make a noise like that, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't found one i want yet :(

Is it just me though, or does the T2 look rubbish and non sporty? The black plastic at the bottom of the front bumper in the headlight surrounds and round the number plate looks tacky to me, and the teardrop lights don't have the black round the outside like the T1 which i really like about them.

Is it just me though, or does the T2 look rubbish and non sporty? The black plastic at the bottom of the front bumper in the headlight surrounds and round the number plate looks tacky to me, and the teardrop lights don't have the black round the outside like the T1 which i really like about them.

I think you are getting a little confused:........It is Phase1 and Phase2 not T1 and T2

The base model of the Mark1 Phase2 was the T2, followed by T3, T Spirit and T Sport.............The Phase 2 had Teardrop headlights.

The current Yaris is now known as the Mark2

You will soon get used to all the differences ;) :lol:

I think you are getting a little confused:........It is Phase1 and Phase2 not T1 and T2

The base model of the Mark1 Phase2 was the T2, followed by T3, T Spirit and T Sport.............The Phase 2 had Teardrop headlights.

My apologies, i shall rephrase then, is it just me or does the PHASE 2 look rubbish and non sport? the black plastic at the bottom off the front bumper in the headlight surrounds and the numberplate looks tacky to me and the teardrop lights don't have the black round the outside like the PHASE 1 which i really like about them :P

Oh yeh, the T sport 5 door, was that an import only model? I don't want 1, but found 1 which my dad was sayin i should get because it sounds good etc and 5 doors is a good resale point apparantly -.- lol.

5 door t-sports are rare, but they were sold on the uk market.

My apologies, i shall rephrase then, is it just me or does the PHASE 2 look rubbish and non sport? the black plastic at the bottom off the front bumper in the headlight surrounds and the numberplate looks tacky to me and the teardrop lights don't have the black round the outside like the PHASE 1 which i really like about them :P

Oh yeh, the T sport 5 door, was that an import only model? I don't want 1, but found 1 which my dad was sayin i should get because it sounds good etc and 5 doors is a good resale point apparantly -.- lol.

Although I'd agree with you; it's personal preference. If you prefer P1, get that, it will be cheaper too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links