Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Auris T180 Economy

decuma180

I've recently got an Auris T180 3 door. I have been running it in i.e. not going over 3K revs. I've done 500 miles now and returned 41 to the gallon. I've pretty much kept an eye on the shift indicators for maximum economy. Can I expect to get more mpg after further use? Haven't really used any of the power yet. :)

I've recently got an Auris T180 3 door. I have been running it in i.e. not going over 3K revs. I've done 500 miles now and returned 41 to the gallon. I've pretty much kept an eye on the shift indicators for maximum economy. Can I expect to get more mpg after further use? Haven't really used any of the power yet. :)

Yes, you can except better mpg.

A diesel engine needs a lot of milage. In my case the mpg sellted at 15.000km on the counter.

Greetz,

Yes, you can except better mpg.

A diesel engine needs a lot of milage. In my case the mpg sellted at 15.000km on the counter.

Greetz,

Thanks for your reply, ok, looking forward to more mpg. How long do you think it should be ran in for? Do you run yours in? Thanks...

Run in was a big issue with me i was the worst time i had with my car. In a good way.

For the the first 4/500 miles i kept it under 2.5k rpm with the occasional increase to 3k rpm. At one point though i couldn't resist and crept it up to 3.5 or maybe near 4k if i remember and i felt guilty after. I also took it easy on the gear box and the brakes; brakes especially for the first 300 miles. Then i gave the breaks some breathing space by occasionally braking a bit harder to prevent rusting on the discs.

With the engine i really started running it into the 3k rpm range by around 800 miles and by 1000 miles i was definatly running up to 3.5k and sometimes 4k. After about 1.5k / 2k miles i was flushing the soot out by getting up to 4.5k RPM about once a week / fortnight. Since i started doing that i was accelerating up to max power 3.8k through the gears quite regularly. Too hard to resist.

At the time i did feel guilty because maybe i took it too high too soon but i've still not readlined at 5k. In the manual it says only be careful for the first 600 miles and dont red line or be agreesive within this millage. The garage said just dont rev it high for the first few hundred miles. I also read the engines are run in before being assembled and that the engines are manufactured with pinpoint precision and that run in isn't really required so that put my mind at ease a bit.

I just took it easy from new and gradually increased the revs every few hundred miles and took it over 3k mostly after 1000miles; i also varied the revs and speed within the first 600 miles to give the engine a taste of different rev ranges. I never used cruise control until around 2k miles and i always give it 15secs for oil to circulate when i start up and i always leave it to idle for about 1 minute before switching off... everytime i use my car.

I haven't really seen any improvement in economy to be honest. With my car i get 38mpg if i boot it a lot. 42mpg average with mixed driving e.g. half fun half daily commute. And if i take it easy i can get the stated 45mpg providing i dont have any stop start stuff in town and on a long run i can average 52mpg. My engine hasn't used any oil in nearly 5k miles from what i can tell from the dipstick. So things seem ok for me i guess.

Ultimately it ends up being about 42-44mpg and about 430-450 miles to a full tank.

And... i dont really have experience of how long a diesel takes to loosen up; If somone could also explain what loosen up means too and what technically happens when it loosens up, that would be great.

The Auris will be my 3rd Toyota, and for both of the others (MR2 Roadster and Prius) I was told by the dealer that no run in was required and after circa 1000Km just to take it in for a (free) checkup.

Does the Auris really need to be run in? I would be surprised if it does.

2 months since ordering 1.6 executive in ice blue and still waiting :(

yep running in is really a thing of the past now. evident by the loss of the 1000 mile service. the engines are now bedded in before they are fitted in to the cars.

as all the engines have synthetic oil in them the will not bed piston rings anyway. the only thing that will be settling in are brakes wheel bearings etc.

i have used full acceleration from new on my 2007 corolla tspirit 2.0D4D and gotta say the car feels better for it