Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres

DJB

Hi All

I've got to buy 4 new tyres for my 06 Avensis T4. I just don't know where to begin. I've spent hours using Google without seeming to get anywhere. I've looked at "Tyre shopper" and they recommend MILLENNIUM 87Y £67 fitted & Avon AV ZZ3 87Y £87 fitted. Do I go for the expensive ones thinking they're the best for me. My tyres are 215 45 R17. I don't drive like a maniac. Are these Milleniums ok or can somebody recomend something else. The only stipulation is I want good quality tyres not budget ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hi All

I've got to buy 4 new tyres for my 06 Avensis T4. I just don't know where to begin. I've spent hours using Google without seeming to get anywhere. I've looked at "Tyre shopper" and they recommend MILLENNIUM 87Y £67 fitted & Avon AV ZZ3 87Y £87 fitted. Do I go for the expensive ones thinking they're the best for me. My tyres are 215 45 R17. I don't drive like a maniac. Are these Milleniums ok or can somebody recomend something else. The only stipulation is I want good quality tyres not budget ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Just replaced the fronts on mine (after 20k) with two more Bridgestones - not by choice, the fitters messed up, as I would have preferred Michelins. Experience with virtually every car I have owned has taught me that Michelins are worth the cost. They ride better, and seem to last longer. I posed a similar question on Honest John and every reply stated 'Michelin' and agreed that Bridgestones wear quickly. On a decent new-ish car like yours, I wouldn't skimp on the tyres - a poor set can make a car feel years older whilst a good set has the opposite effect.

Hi All

Thanks

Dave

Just replaced the fronts on mine (after 20k) with two more Bridgestones - not by choice, the fitters messed up, as I would have preferred Michelins. Experience with virtually every car I have owned has taught me that Michelins are worth the cost. They ride better, and seem to last longer. I posed a similar question on Honest John and every reply stated 'Michelin' and agreed that Bridgestones wear quickly. On a decent new-ish car like yours, I wouldn't skimp on the tyres - a poor set can make a car feel years older whilst a good set has the opposite effect.

I would suggest this site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

It is US but the amount of survey data they have on tyres is amazing and most brands are available in the UK.

Michelin are one of, if not the most expensive on the market, and have found other brands produce equally as good if not better tyres, such as goodyear and Bridgestone. Also bear in mind that the manufacturers produce a variety of different tyres aimed at different car typres and budgets, so to say Bridgestone tyres wear quick is like saying all Toyota cars are good.

if you go on the google search engine it brings up various sites....my tyres. net springs to mind.

id agree with the comment below that michelins are worth the extra especially if u do lots of miles. have also has p6000 pirellis they are also very good

I would suggest this site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

It is US but the amount of survey data they have on tyres is amazing and most brands are available in the UK.

Michelin are one of, if not the most expensive on the market, and have found other brands produce equally as good if not better tyres, such as goodyear and bridgestone. Also bear in mind that the manufacturers produce a variety of different tyres aimed at different car typres and budgets, so to say bridgestone tyres wear quick is like saying all Toyota cars are good.

Fair points, but the opinions on Bridgestone and Michelin were from people with a wide range of cars. My own most recent experience of Michelins was on a 1.8 Mondeo, which rode vastly better on them than Goodyears and they lasted 30k vs 23k. Previous to that I got through a set of Goodyears in 12k on a Carina 2.0 (town driving admittedly), and a set of Avons on my Citroen BX were replaced by Michelins after only 10k because the car handled and rode so poorly on them. So I may sound biased, but I was only quoting from my own experience with a wide range of cars.

I prefer Michelins every time. Smoother ride greater grip is my experience in the past. I have Dunlops on my T4 Avensis and on some roads the road noise is very loud.

I am going to have to replace my front tyres soon and I am going for Michelin. That means I will have Dunlop rear Michelin front. Is it safe to use this combination?

I also read that you have to reset the Sat/Nav tyre setting when you replace tyres on the Avensis.

Thanks one and all for your advice. I have checked out Michelin tyre prices and they are nfortunately out of my price range, but after spending another 5 hours searching the internet I think I have finally decide on the Toyo Proxes T1-R set of tyres. I can get 4 for £362 fitted. They seem to have good reviews. Anybody got them and can give an opinion?

Many thanks

Dave

Thanks one and all for your advice. I have checked out Michelin tyre prices and they are nfortunately out of my price range, but after spending another 5 hours searching the internet I think I have finally decide on the Toyo Proxes T1-R set of tyres. I can get 4 for £362 fitted. They seem to have good reviews. Anybody got them and can give an opinion?

Many thanks

Dave

Quite a good choice for a reasonably grippy tyre and sensible price.

Unless someone tells you the precise tyre model they have have used when they give an opinion it really isn't that helpful. There are some dunlop budget tyres that are pretty poor, and some that are good. Goodyear F1 GSD3's for example, are one of the best tyres you can get for an affordable price, but not all Goodyears rate quite so highly relative to the competition. I'm not recommending them for you however, because firstly i don't know if they supply the tyre in the size you need and also it is a tyre made for performance cars, so grip wet and dry is given a higher priority than how quickly they wear. It really depends on what is more important to you, which is why the link i offered helps to think though what matters most.

Regarding your quote, do be aware that some of the internet tyre places do offer great prices, but you can end up having a real problem finding a garage willing to fit them. Garages are quite rightly thinking what is the point, as they usually make some money on the tyre supply as well as the fit. So i would personally pay a bit more and get it all sorted at the same time like you appear to be doing. I know blackcircles offer an internet price but also have a wide range of outlets to get them fitted and they deliver to that garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Go for Dunlops

Lasts forever and good to ride.

A friend of mine drove almost 60k kilometers on Dunlop 200

My 2005 estate D4D is fitted with Dunlop 2000 E

Smooth to drive and not much noise.

My inlaws have a Avensis 2005 sedan and Michelin fitted.

More noise than in my car.

i have used mytyres in the past and had them fitted at the toyota dealer. but now the dealer will undercut the mytyres website if i haggle a bit so i havent bothered using it since.

there are an awful lot of tyre websites out there! I used Tyre shopper, who in turn use National tyres as their fitting agents. I bought Michelin Premium Contact 2 for £300 fitted all round. i looked at tyretest and other sites and decided they were the best available. they're quiet and grip well in the wet.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

Thanks

Dave

I had a similar discussion with a collegue at work. We both concluded that a varying number of people suggest "good" experiences that "they" have had with various makes when really it is a choice that you as a driver of your car has to make.

I would say the first question to ask is

What sort of a driver am I? (steady/fast/sporty/average) and then

What sort of driving do I do? (fast touring/steady in town/motorway/twisty A and B roads) and then

What qualities do I want from a tyre? (wet weather grip/cornering/stability/hardwearing/braking etc)

narrow down a couple of choices

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...
i'm going to stick with the dunlop sp sport 3000's when i replace mine next week

Just got rid of my dunlops for Pirrelli P6s and a complete revelation especially in the wet..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links