Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Injection Pump Scv Valves

salexander

I seem to have the dreaded SCV valve fault with the injection pump in my 2003 Rav diesel. It suffers intermittent loss of acceleration, sometimes momentarily, sometimes for several miles at a time. Other than that it runs strongly with no smoking. The only other symptom was a MIL that appeared one day and cleared itself the next, the stored code was P0627 - Fuel Pump Control Circuit /Open. Anyone got any idea what that is pointing to???

Anyway, looks like I need to replace the solenoid valves in the pump. Anyone done this themselves? Is it simply a case of undoing the 2 cap screws to release the valves and replace them? Can Toyota supply them or better going to a Nippon Denso outlet?

Grateful for any pointers.

I personally have never done this on any common rail diesel. The information I have read doesn't give any servicing instruction for the pump but that doesn't mean it can't be done. However, where your going to get any bits is another story! You might be better trying to get another pump from a breaker.

The only thing that concerns me is this fault code that popped up. If that really was a supply open circuit then it could account for your problem. Of course it doesn't narrow it down but I would start by cleaning all of the electrical connections associated with the fuel pump.

You might get some good info by pm'ing moonstone mart as he may have worked on them.

Good luck.

I personally have never done this on any common rail diesel. The information I have read doesn't give any servicing instruction for the pump but that doesn't mean it can't be done. However, where your going to get any bits is another story! You might be better trying to get another pump from a breaker.

The only thing that concerns me is this fault code that popped up. If that really was a supply open circuit then it could account for your problem. Of course it doesn't narrow it down but I would start by cleaning all of the electrical connections associated with the fuel pump.

You might get some good info by pm'ing moonstone mart as he may have worked on them.

Good luck.

This came up in the Avensis forum...I believe the valves are the same in the Avensis as they are in the RAV. A member changed his valves and cured the problem...Could take a visit into the Avensis forum and ask the question..or do a search on that forum... The pump is Very expensive new and finding one in a breakers is hard...

The valves are available as a matched pair, if you look them up on the parts catalogue you will not find them, as they were not available originaly on their own. Then because they were going faulty, Toyota made them available as a seperate item. PM me your vehicle chassis number and I will price them for you. You will need some mechanical knowledge to fit them

Kingo :thumbsup:

Good luck.

This came up in the Avensis forum...I believe the valves are the same in the Avensis as they are in the RAV. A member changed his valves and cured the problem...Could take a visit into the Avensis forum and ask the question..or do a search on that forum... The pump is Very expensive new and finding one in a breakers is hard...

Thanks guys, I've checked all of the connectors I can see on the pump. My only other thought was a dodgy relay associated with the pump, but I haven't seen any info on what relay controls what.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

Thanks guys, I've checked all of the connectors I can see on the pump. My only other thought was a dodgy relay associated with the pump, but I haven't seen any info on what relay controls what.

All sorted :D New valves courtesy of Kingo, thanks for the help and fast delivery. Only took half an hour to fit, straightforward and no problems.

Any chance of reviewing the process and some photos then we can use it as future reference? Have you still got the old valve to photograph?

Cheers

All sorted :D New valves courtesy of Kingo, thanks for the help and fast delivery. Only took half an hour to fit, straightforward and no problems.

Well done :thumbsup: Top man :toast:

• 2 weeks later...

The only real difficulty in doing the job is the slightly awkward access to the valves at the rear of the pump, so it's a wee bit fiddly. From what I remember:

-Remove the coolant overflow bottle and the lower pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body

-Unplug the connectors to the two valves on the rear of the fuel pump, one has a green body the other reddish brown, take a note of which is which.

-Undo the two allen headed screws on each valve. I found these to be very tight and difficult to remove with an ordinary allen key. I used a 3/8" drive socket wrench with an allen bit out of my impact wrench set, the shank of this fits into an 8mm socket. A small extension to a normal allen key using a bit of steel tube would also do the trick.

-The valves are a slightly tight fit in the back of the pump as they have two o-rings, I used a small screwdriver to get under the valve flange and wiggled them out. It is easier if you rotate the valve so that the edge of the flange is half over the screw hole in the back of the pump, you can then get the screwdriver under the flange more easily. You may want to put a rag under the rear of the pump to collect the small amount of fuel that will leak out.

-I lubricated the o-rings on the new valves with a bit of diesel from the pump and fitted them in a reverse of the above.

-The engine took a couple of attempts to start, no doubt due to the small leakage of diesel when the valves are removed.

Obviously keep everything clean and make sure you don't get any dirt on the new valves or in the back of the pump.

Job done :D

This is worth keeping - can you take photos of the old valves and we will get it pinned.

Would you mind (or Kingo) giving us part Nos and prices?

Cheers

• 5 years later...

Found this old thread on google, bringing it back to life...

I have the EXACT same problem, dodgy acceleration, and the P0627 error code coming and going.

The only thing is, I had this problem before, and changed the SCV valves at my local Toyta shop, (cost me £300) and, now it's happening again.

Is there anything else that can make these SCV valves fail? The car has 84 000 miles to it.

Poor fuel and poor fuel supply often caused by the fuel filter. If you didn't change the filter you should start there.