Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Mmt Breaks Down

Yaris05

I bought a second hand Yaris MMT (less than 2 years old) from Toyota dealer. I have had it for 3 months - one month I was on holiday and the car was not driven. So far it has done just under 300 miles. The car has broken down three times already - every time with the gear box trouble. RAC had to come to my rescue. In neutral it thinks it is in gear and so will not start. Even when it starts and goes it is very jumpy and at the end of the journey - I feel sea sick. The first time I took it back to the dealer - they initially found no problem, but after exhaustive test found some electronics trouble which was fixed. Second time round I did not have the time to take it back to the dealer. Today, I have left the car with dealer.

Can anybody tell me whether I am the only one who is sufferring from this - or it is a common problem? What can I do? I only drive once a week and if it breaks down every other week, then the confidence goes and if at the end of the journey I feel so sick due to jumpy ride.

You could contact trading standards and see what rights you have regarding your purchase not being fit for purpose ! after finding out what your rights are you could contact the dealer principle of the dealership where you purchased the car from and try to come some arrangement regarding swapping the vehicle for another Toyota .

Try to be polite at all times as being aggressive does not get anybody anywhere and just puts people backs up .

It would be a good idea after speaking to trading standards to put your complaint in writing I would think that if you have only drove 300 miles you would have a good case but I am no lawyer.

I would also contact the previous owner and ask what his experience with the car was like it would also indicate if the dealership was aware of the problems when they sold it to you

As a last resort contact Toyota customer services at Epsom and try another dealer

have a look at this link

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin...DV1016-1011.txt

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin...DV0043-1011.txt

if you are buying on credit you may be in a stronger postion

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin...DV0011-1111.txt

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin...DV0006-1011.txt

Sounds like its in need of an MMT ECU re-flash/replacement, get you dealer to check out any tech docs relating to this type of fault

Kingo :thumbsup:

Today, I have left the car with dealer.

They may find the problem and fix it by the time you get it back.

Keep us updated.

You could contact trading standards and see what rights you have regarding your purchase not being fit for purpose ! after finding out what your rights are you could contact the dealer principle of the dealership where you purchased the car from and try to come some arrangement regarding swapping the vehicle for another Toyota .

Try to be polite at all times as being aggressive does not get anybody anywhere and just puts people backs up .

It would be a good idea after speaking to trading standards to put your complaint in writing I would think that if you have only drove 300 miles you would have a good case but I am no lawyer.

I would also contact the previous owner and ask what his experience with the car was like it would also indicate if the dealership was aware of the problems when they sold it to you

As a last resort contact Toyota customer services at Epsom and try another dealer

have a look at this link

if you are buying on credit you may be in a stronger postion

Thanks very much for the information. I was thinking of consumer rights - which say

Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B.

At present, due to its breaking down so often, it is not doing the above.

I will take this matter with the dealer and say what they have to offer. However, the price according to dealer's bible - is around £2000 less, so for part exchange I will lose £2000 + plus the premium on a newer (or different) car. I think at the end the dealer will always win.

No need to think about that yet. Put it all in writing to the Centre Principle and tell him everything that has happened, they have to have an opprtunity to put it right. Tell them you have had enough and see what they say. If your not satisfied then you can take it further. Keep calm and be firm

have a look at this link

if you are buying on credit you may be in a stronger position

Thanks very much for the information. I was thinking of consumer rights - which say

Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B.

At present, due to its breaking down so often, it is not doing the above.

I will take this matter with the dealer and say what they have to offer. However, the price according to dealer's bible - is around £2000 less, so for part exchange I will lose £2000 + plus the premium on a newer (or different) car. I think at the end the dealer will always win.

Very much as parts king says he is the trade so he knows what the score is !I am not suggesting that you part exchange the car I am suggesting that if you think the car is not fit for purpose then reject the car you will have to be firm but polite and I think the key is to find out what your rights are and negotiate from a position of strength .

You have to give the dealer an opportunity to repair the car but I think you have done that as 3 repairs in 300 miles is a fair chance for the dealer to sort any problems out.

When cases like this happens it is not unknown for a dealer to take the car back and offer an alternative to the same value as the car you bought less perhaps a reduction for the miles covered

The problem is that if you let the dealer repair the car and it runs okay for say another 4 months and then the problem returns your position to reject the car will not be as strong

I know this is a difficult one and only you can make the decision what to do but as I have said find out what your rights are and in a round about way let the dealership know that you know your rights but be reasonable

Update:

Monday, they started looking at the problem.

Tuesday, they are still looking.

Tuesday, I had a long conversation with the manager, who said that return of money is out of question. I can part exchange it for another car - the cars they had would have cost me extra £4000 - £6500. So as I suggested in either case they win. However, I got a courtsey car today and I have driven 1 mile. It certainly drives better inspite of having MMT gear box. The manager suggested that they are looking at it and trying to repair it. They want the car to be driven and tested before they hand it over to me. Hence the courtesy car.

What shall I do now? How can I get confidence back?

Regards

Yaris05

The dealership are talking rubbish. Within 6 months you are entitled to a full refund. Quote the sale of goods act.

Return the car, all keys and documents to the dealership together with a letter why you are rejecting the car.

Any problems use the small claims court to recover purchase price and reasonable costs.

Mark

The dealership are talking rubbish. Within 6 months you are entitled to a full refund. Quote the sale of goods act.

Return the car, all keys and documents to the dealership together with a letter why you are rejecting the car.

Any problems use the small claims court to recover purchase price and reasonable costs.

Mark

If this is indeed correct, then I shall try to do this. Anybody else who will support Mark's view.

Yaris05

Mark

If this is indeed correct, then I shall try to do this. Anybody else who will support Mark's view.

Yaris05

Hello yaris 05

As I suggested in my previous post it is imperative that you find out what your position is legally (ie contact trading standards also the citizens advice they offer a free 30 minute consultation with a solicitor) I know it may be difficult fitting this all in during a working day but if you do not know what rights you have you stand know chance

The excuse they made they have no other stock and you would have to pay £5000 extra is a load of rubbish ?

Are they a major UK national dealer or a small family owned dealership? have a look at there stock list on the Toyota website do a vehicle search for your make and model nationwide and tell them were they can source one from.

Also whatever they offer you ask them to put that in writing .

If you spoke to the manager of the dealership ask for a meeting with the dealer principle of the firm if it is a national company ask for a meeting with the area manager.

These people are professionals they are used to dealing with customers who have problems with there cars and are used to winning .

If you are the type of person who does not like confrontation get a friend to go with you for support

One last thing if you do decide to have the car repaired insist that you get a letter from them confirming that if a problem recurred with the MMT gearbox in the next 6 months they will accept that the car is not fit for purpose and refund your money

You have to keep in there and be firm

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...875&sr=Mall

This is the type of model search you can do on the Toyota web site

Mark

That is the extreme course of action but Mark is perfectly correct, the law changed, and whereby you had to prove it was faulty has now been reversed. If the consumer complains within six months, the DEALER must prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. Put the lot in writing to the dealer principle and tell him that if it is not repaired to your satisfaction it will be coming back for a full refund, that should start the ball rolling

Mark

That is the extreme course of action but Mark is perfectly correct, the law changed, and whereby you had to prove it was faulty has now been reversed. If the consumer complains within six months, the DEALER must prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. Put the lot in writing to the dealer principle and tell him that if it is not repaired to your satisfaction it will be coming back for a full refund, that should start the ball rolling

Thank you for the help you have given. I am going to put everything in writing quoting the sale of goods act 1979 etc. Have to have it repaired first, so that the dealer had fair crack at it. So far no news - is that good news?

So far no news - is that good news?

If you had already got it back I would be a little suspicious. Not having it back means they are repairing it or waiting for parts.

So far no news - is that good news?

If you had already got it back I would be a little suspicious. Not having it back means they are repairing it or waiting for parts.

UPDATE

Got the car back finally from the main dealer. A part for controlling gearbox was found to be faulty and the unit was changed. The manager admitted that the ride was jerky to start with, and so some work was done to make it less jerky. It is MMT, so I have accepted that I have to drive in a different manner. Got used to it very early on.

Although, I have not driven it more than 10 miles or 3 journeys (i.e. 6 starts), so far it seems fine.

I would like to thank all for the replies. At the end of the day, a letter to manager does the trick - rather than many phone calls to whoever answers the phone. I also insisted of having a courtesy car, which was given to me after 4 days.

Thank you all again for the help.

A part for controlling gearbox was found to be faulty and the unit was changed.

Job done!

Now go and enjoy your car :thumbsup: