• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Als Surf

Als Surf

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: Surf 3.0 TD

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

]Help!! Ive just spent 400 on having a gearbox solenoid changed and valve body pressure done etc to try and cure my problem - It wont go into Overdrive but other gears work fine, as does kick down-someone has suggested TCU but is it more likely to be a rellay - if so where the hell is it!! - Thanks and and replies appreciated[/size][/size]

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Karma Supra

Karma Supra

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,638 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 3rd Gen Hilux Surf SSR-X LTD

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

Why do you say it won't go into overdrive???

Overdrive is only 4th gear.

#3 Demondodger

Demondodger

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • First Name:Paul
  • Toyota Model: HiLux Surf 3.0l TD SSRX Auto
  • Year: 1994

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

]Help!! Ive just spent 400 on having a gearbox solenoid changed and valve body pressure done etc to try and cure my problem - It wont go into Overdrive but other gears work fine, as does kick down-someone has suggested TCU but is it more likely to be a rellay - if so where the hell is it!! - Thanks and and replies appreciated[/size][/size]

Hi Al

I had the same problem earlier this year, I spent the best part of 2000 having the gearbox re-conned, every solenoid replaced, clutches renewed, hire cars,etc etc, only to get it back 3 weeks later still with the same problem(the only thing i got from the re-build was an expensive 12 month warranty)

I then swapped the ECU from my other surf and b*gger me,it solved the whole thing. After spending another couple of weeks searching for an ECU with all the matching part No.s. I dragged my way thru eblag to find one,,,,, It worked out cheaper for me to buy a whole vehicle just for the ECU and then break the rest.

I eventually made a profit on the breaker.
So my friend, I believe your problem lies in the ECU

Cheers
Paul

#4 Vince W

Vince W

Advanced Club Member

• Bronze Member
  • 459 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2001 Hilux Surf 2.7 & 1991 Hilux Surf 4.0 V8.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Was the speed sensor checked?
Is the ETC button pressed in?

#5 Als Surf

Als Surf

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: Surf 3.0 TD

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

Hi Al

I had the same problem earlier this year, I spent the best part of 2000 having the gearbox re-conned, every solenoid replaced, clutches renewed, hire cars,etc etc, only to get it back 3 weeks later still with the same problem(the only thing i got from the re-build was an expensive 12 month warranty)

I then swapped the ECU from my other surf and b*gger me,it solved the whole thing. After spending another couple of weeks searching for an ECU with all the matching part No.s. I dragged my way thru eblag to find one,,,,, It worked out cheaper for me to buy a whole vehicle just for the ECU and then break the rest.

I eventually made a profit on the breaker.
So my friend, I believe your problem lies in the ECU

Cheers
Paul

Hi Dont know if you got my last email - can you tel me whether you got a new ecu or a auto tcu and wher abouts in the car do i find it. Thanks

#6 Vince W

Vince W

Advanced Club Member

• Bronze Member
  • 459 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2001 Hilux Surf 2.7 & 1991 Hilux Surf 4.0 V8.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hi Dont know if you got my last email - can you tel me whether you got a new ecu or a auto tcu and wher abouts in the car do i find it. Thanks
[/quote]

The ECU is on the passenger side behind the plastic panel near the door.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users